| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Hypnobirthing / natural birth techniques
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:05 am 
Semen Strong

You are hilarious LisaP! I loved the CD :)

I guess they recommended the Brewer Diet. http://www.drbrewerpregnancydiet.com/ Our Bradley class watched a dumb 70s video and we all died laughing.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:40 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

im gonna keep on trying that cd darnit!
it can only get better from here.

we watched a vhs copy of the big dateline special on hypnobirthing that sort of made it public/popular and it appeared to be taped in the 80s. some mighty fine hairdos!

i noticed everyone was still lying on their backs during labor. i forgot to ask if that is typical of hypnobirthing since you are supposedly so relaxed but then i forgot. or if it was just becuase it was the 80s.

they also induced someone after 8 hours of labor and i was like AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:55 am 
Nooch of Earl

Aww LP, sympathies! I be I'd have the same issues ;)

Our Bradley class had the same crazy protein stuff - actually I think they said 95g. My midwife said get at least 65g every day and had me chart foods for a few days, I think most mainstream medical recommendations are around 70g/day. The consensus does seem to be that you need a little more than normal. I found that a good way to top off protein on a lackluster day was a field roast sausage or two - those things have, IIRC, almost 20g of protein apiece. People here have mentioned builders bars, you can get protein shake powder too (Rainbow Light makes a vegan one), which can be kind of gritty and not great but tolerable. If you make a smoothie with some soymilk and PB and banana you'd probably add another ~5g of protein (off the top of my head, don't rely on that!)

What I did was not really count extensively once I'd charted a while, but try to make sure I was getting about 20g of protein at each meal. I'd try to start off days with tofu scramble and tempeh crumbles or field roast sausage. I did OK but it is a little tricky if you're not used to eating that much protein.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:29 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i actually think i do *ok* on protein (time will tell as my next checkup is thursday) i was just disappointed to get a handout at a "natural" birthing class and not one plant source of protein was even mentioned. i mean how hard is it to type the word beans? the teacher mentioned something about a survey at the end of class so i think i will mention it. it's not a nutrition class and we didnt discuss any nutrition but c'mon!!!

i checked out that Brewer's Diet page briefly. today i learned that "hygenist" and "sproutarian" are both things!

one more silly anecdote semi related to our class:
i admit that this was most likely purely coincidence but it was pretty funny at the same time.
this morning i was leaving for work and i was really hungry so i grabbed a Luna bar and started stuffing my face with it as i was driving and i noticed it just happened to be lemon flavor and i was like "ha! stupid lemons!" (thinking of the relaxation thing from the previous night) and then.......all of a sudden out of nowhere i realized i was about to projectile vomit ALL OVER MY CAR. i do not know how i kept it down but i almost had to pull over and puke on the side of the road. it was horrible my throat kept doing all these weird things and i was 100% sure i was going to spend my morning cleaning puke out of my car and off myself.
i turned around and went home thinking if i could make it in time i could puke in my bathroom but as i drove it started to go away. i sat my driveway for a minute and realized it had passed so i turned around again and started on my way back to work.

i know it's totally coincidental and more likely than not it was because i took all my vitamins on an empty stomach, including the giant horse pill prenatal which previously i had been taking after dinner on a full stomach (the Deva brand made me puke sometime in my first trimester when i took it on an empty stomach). so it was probably that but i like to think i was hypnotized into some sort of lemon hating gang........

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:22 pm 
***LIES!!!***

According to a book put out by the ADA for pregnancy, protein recommendations for non-vegans are actually quite a bit higher than 70g. I think the numbers were in the 80s-90s. My midwives said they didn't buy into the high protein recommendations and recommended something like 60-80g. The Brewer Diet, recommended by Bradley classes (but having zero actual evidence backing up its claims to reduce pre-eclampsia), recommends 80-100g, which is not out of line with normal recommendations now, although maybe it was when it was first designed. When I asked Ginny Messina (of theveganrd.com, Vegan for Life, and general vegan nutritionist fame) to calculate my specific protein needs (based on my ideal weight and other numbers), she came up with a number in the 90s (I think she said 96g). I tend to agree with her in general that vegans have higher protein needs than non-vegans, so I aimed for that number and really never had trouble meeting it. Then again, I gained more than twice the recommended amount when I was pregnant. If I had been eating an amount of food in line with a healthier weight gain, I would probably have had a much harder time of it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:18 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I didn't do much research on the Brewer diet because as far as I know I wasn't close to preeclampsia ever, but the cursory googling I did do seemed to indivate that there wasn't a lot of evidence supporting it.

Places I found something close to 70:
http://www.babycenter.com/0_protein-in- ... et_1690.bc (they don't list a source)
http://www.iom.edu/~/media/Files/Activi ... rients.pdf (a publication by national academies press is listed as the source, but this was off the NRC website - research council not reactor safety ;) )
http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/5000/pdf/5573.pdf (via the USDA)

I did turn up this which is kind of interesting from the WHO:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... 2/abstract
The study concluded that isocaloric protein supplementation is neutral to harmful. I just read the summary though.

CDC and WHO either don't make recommendations or hide them well. The VRG repeats the 71g figure. Other sites seem to say 30g above nonpregant needs. Obviously, it probably varies from person somewhat. And more generally I don't get the impression that anyone really knows the optimal mix of macronutrients, since the recommendations seem to change so often.

ETA: in a cursory asking of Dr. Google I didn't find anything very far from 70g, except for the +30 recommendation. Some sites were estimating 45g as a nonpregnant requirement but I think the VRG site said that nonpregnant American women get, on average, 65g already, which could explain the 95g figure.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:21 pm 
Semen Strong

I didn't get near 90g and I worked hard to up my protein intake and also gained a ton of weight.

If I had it to do over, I'd just eat normally and not fuss too much.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:44 pm 
***LIES!!!***

From the book "Expect the Best," put out by the ADA:

"Pregnant, nursing, or neither, your protein needs are related to your ideal body weight. You need 0.36 grams of protein per pound per day - about 49 grams for a 135 pound woman - when not pregnant. Starting with the second trimester of your pregnancy, your protein needs increase to 0.5 grams per pound of your prepregnant ideal body weight plus an addition 25 grams, for a total of about 93 grams for a 135-pound woman. If you're having twins, you need an additional 25 grams of protein a day, starting as soon as you find out that you're expecting - about 118 grams of protein a day for a 135-pound woman" (36).

They give a boatload of references, but I can't find a specific reference for their protein recommendations except their own position papers.

From the WHO site it looks like they find that, in general, giving pregnant women advice to eat more protein is good for avoiding poor weight gain and low birth weight - that seems fairly obvious. The isocaloric protein supplements were neutral. But what's interesting is that the high protein supplements were harmful.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:51 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

My husband and I completed our hypnobirth class last night and I thought I would post my thoughts on it to help anyone else who is thinking about doing it or trying to decide between different techniques. Sorry this will probably be long mainly cause I tend to ramble.
Overall I liked the class and I liked the teacher but I do not know how many of the actual techniques I will use during labor. Perhaps I will surprise myself and use a bunch but im not sure. The reason I say that is not really anything to do with hypnobirthing itself but more my own personality. I think if the relaxation techniques work for you they would be awesome. For me personally, I do not relax, ever. It takes me several hours to fall asleep every night and my brain is constantly on overdrive. I cant shut it off.
The thing I am taking away from hypnobirthing is pretty much everything else. I spent 34.5 years of my life not wanting kids so when I changed my mind I knew literally NOTHING about pregnancy or babies or kids so the whole thing was absolutely terrifying to me. LABOR sounded HORRIFIC. So the biggest thing I took from this class was labor is not horrific. It doesn’t have to be horrific. You do not need to be screaming in pain and blue in the face and freaking out. Labor is HARD but it doesn’t need to be like it is on tv. It’s a completely natural function of your body and your body was pretty much constructed to do it so it doesn’t needed to be the worst day of your life. Fear is bad during labor because it does all sorts of things to your body and constricts blood flow and generally makes your job a lot harder and a lot more painful so relaxing and trying to push away the fear is really the best thing you can do.
I liked our teacher even though she was super opinionated in her own way but she had been a labor and delivery nurse at the hospital for 20 years. She still works at the hospital as the head of their OB education department and her office is right on the OB unit, so she had a ton of knowledge about the reality of what goes on. So she would present all the material and explain it from the context of hypnobirthing and the theory behind it but then would interject her own thoughts. That might be annoying to some people but I liked it because im a realist. We spent a long long time last night talking about different things that might show up on your birth plan and the reality of what will actually happen. Just one example is cord clamping. Hypnobirthing says you should delay the cord clamping until the cord stops pulsing and I guess Marie, the founder of hypnobirthing, is super anti cord blood donation because she believes like every last drop of the blood in the cord should go to your baby. our teacher explained the reality of the situation at this particular hospital is you could probably delay the cord clamping for a good 3-5 mins (rather than immediately) if you asked for it (someone had done some research and supposedly within 3 mins 40% of the blood should go back into the baby) but you weren’t gonna get like 20-30 mins. It just wasn’t gonna happen.
The things I didn’t like about hypnobirthing was mainly the language. I personally thought it was really dumb to rename everything. Again im a realist. You can call it a contraction or a surge or you can say rainbows are gonna shoot out of my butt it’s all the same thing to me. for some people that might be really helpful to use a completely different set of words but for me I was just like “meh.” Everything is renamed to sound “nicer” because it’s supposed to be a calm environment and a natural birth so you cant have things happening like your water BREAKING or PUSHING a baby out. Again for me personally I don’t care what you call it it’s still the same thing, we don’t need to dress it up in a fancy party hat and pretend it’s something totally different. Hypnobirthing also claims you can have a “pain free” labor if you use these techniques. My teacher refused to promise us that and said the reason they can promise a pain free labor is because the word pain is not allowed in the hypnobirth world. You may experience some “discomfort” or you may feel some “pressure” but not “pain” cause you’re not allowed to use that word.
A lot of people in the class really liked a lot of the relaxation techniques we went through. There are two cds that come with the class. One is in the back of the book and I would think you could get it if you bought the book anywhere. The other one is like the super special “RAINBOW” cd that you only get if you take the class. A lot of people loved the rainbow relaxation. I listened to it twice and gave up. I cant do the rainbow. It wasn’t for me. I like the relaxation bit on the cd in the back of the book so I put that on my ipod and made a playlist with that and then the affirmations directly after that and I listen to that and it actually helps me sleep. I think I will probably use those 2 during labor if I need something calming to listen to and try to do some deep breathing. Ive been trying to practice the deep breathing but right now my lung capacity seems non-existant.
So yeah overall I thought it was a great class. I think if you are better at relaxing than me then it could be a really valuable tool. Everyone else in class had no problem relaxing it was just me.
The other thing I really liked about hypnobirthing is it definitely advocates very strongly for natural childbirth with no interventions whatsoever but it doesn’t frown upon you and think you’re a failure if you end up needing/wanting something. it’s more about making that choice yourself and understanding everything that goes with it and not just getting an epidural cause it’s there and it’s what’s expected of you. so if you try for natural and end up using pitocin or an epidural or whatever you’re not considered a hypnobirth flunkie and a terrible person. It just asks that you come to that decision understanding all your options, etc.

So umm yeah. Long and rambly just like I promised.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:22 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Interesting to hear your thoughts, Lisa!

I have always had trouble sleeping/staying asleep at night, which of course was worse during pregnancy [turns out the over-tiredness that comes with looking after a newborn baby is the perfect cure!] so I really tried to use the relaxation techniques from hypnobirthing to help me sleep better, and while I didn't drop off to sleep as soon as I started thinking about them, I do think it really helped me.

I also couldn't handle the rainbow cd, or the affirmation one, though I liked the affirmations themselves I couldn't stand the accent or the music, but I got a cd my teacher had made which had music that was more relaxing to me, and a familiar accent which I liked a lot more.

For the birth/labour itself, I wasn't really tense or nervous or afraid so I didn't need to relax so much as I found concentrating on the breathing techniques to be really really helpful during surges/contractions. So even if you don't think you're going to be able to go into a super deep relaxed zen state or whatever, I would recommend continuing to practice the slow breathing/surge breathing etc. I have always been quite a shallow breather and found the deep/slow breathing really difficult at first, but it totally improved with practice.

For myself, I really did like the re-naming of things. I think so much of the language of birth is so loaded, with expectations, other people's experiences, fear and apprehension. I appreciated using [just in my own head] words that didn't have any negative connotations associated, I think it helped to make every step something to look forward to and be excited about, not apprehensive of... but I am a bit of a hippy and understand that's not for everyone.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:57 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

oncewerewesties wrote:

For the birth/labour itself, I wasn't really tense or nervous or afraid so I didn't need to relax so much as I found concentrating on the breathing techniques to be really really helpful during surges/contractions. So even if you don't think you're going to be able to go into a super deep relaxed zen state or whatever, I would recommend continuing to practice the slow breathing/surge breathing etc. I have always been quite a shallow breather and found the deep/slow breathing really difficult at first, but it totally improved with practice.

that's pretty much my main focus. ive been trying to do deep yoga style breathing while i listen to my playlist but i have been having 2 issues. 1. my nose i swear is chock full of boogers. so i spend a lot of time trying to blow my nose. i also have a really deviated septum so maybe i should stop with the in/out the nose breathing. 2. my lung capacity right now is like pretty much nothing. i know once the baby drops ill be able to breath better but right now i have no lung capacity.
i keep listening to the relaxation/affirmations so maybe it will burn itself into my brain

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:10 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

So I just started the hypnobabies home study course. So far I am enjoying it and find it very relaxing. The Peaceful Sleep track really has helped me sleep better at night - that alone will make this a worthwhile thing. Anyone on this board have experience with this course?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:07 pm 
Semen Strong

I liked it! I think I've posted up thread that it was calming and empowering for me.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:28 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Thanks for pointing that out Tofulish - I though I had read the whole thread - apparently I read only the first page!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:24 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Haha...I was reading LP posting in this thread and thought I'd missed something, until I noticed the date. :p