| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: building toys
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:05 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

can anyone recommend some good building toys? doesnt have to be anything fancy just something their kids liked to build with.

we have a bunch of megablocks and BP likes those. we're a bit limited in what we can make just by how many we have and im hestitant to buy more because i know at some point she'll be old enough for legos. (how old are kids usually when they transition to legos? maybe this is still a couple years off)

whenever we go to any type of playgroup she usually ends up playing with some sort of building toys at some point. she seems to enjoy them.
my husband is an engineer and i see a lot of him in her.

she likes the magnetiles we have used but they are SOOOOOOOOO expensive. also she seemed to get frustrated with them easily if they didnt do what she wanted. i think she might be a little young to understand how some of them stick together (or maybe the ones we were using were really old and werent working great)

soemthing that fits or snaps together somehow would be ideal because she seems to still be a bit rough in placing things together and knocks things over and then gets mad.

snapping together isnt a prerequisite though just a bonus

Post subject: Re: building toys
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:17 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

What about Lincoln Logs?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:51 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

I was thinking of those. Do they still make them?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:32 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Yes they sell lincoln logs as a "retro" toy! We have a nice set of building blocks I bought for cheap off craigslist. It gets lots of use between my two boys. I think Tegu building blocks look super fun - but pricey so we haven't actually tried any. I think they would grow with the kid though? My sister's kids all got into legos around 5 and up but I recall as a kid having duplo size blocks up until I was 8 or so and enjoying them!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:54 pm 
Semen Strong

We are never getting Lego because they are basically a torture instrument for parents. Stepping on those sharp little bits in the dark is the best way to teach your kid all the swears.

THROW A forking YAM IN THE OVEN ITS forking CHRISTMAS - LisaPunk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:27 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Magna tiles are super fun and easy to store and clean up. Babynut can play with them for hours. Maybe not hours, but a really long time.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:25 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Tofulish wrote:
We are never getting Lego because they are basically a torture instrument for parents. Stepping on those sharp little bits in the dark is the best way to teach your kid all the swears.

Yeah, even though Lego is Danish and EVERYONE has them, we've managed to avoid it so far. I can appreciate that they are a great toy... but all the pieces! All the plastic!

We have a box of different shape wooden blocks, which we've boosted with a packet of wooden popsicle sticks from the craft store. Now TW can make all the bridges and connect more parts. We also have a basket of wooden Brio train tracks. That's a different sort of building, but super popular at our house. Brio stuff is kind of pricey, but nearly all of ours is from the flea market-- it's very good quality and holds up well secondhand.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:43 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

ill have to go back to the consignment store nearby and look around again. i got some of our mega blocks there. i might get more since it sounds like she'll probably still play with them for several years.

she likes the magna tiles we've used at very various playgroups i just might wait til her birthday or something since they are so crazy expensive. they are really fun though!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:10 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Wooden train tracks are SUPER popular here at my house. They build tracks over my whole house. It is actually pretty complicated because to try to make the tracks meet each other or to have some tracks go under others...then of course you have the fun of pushing the trains around and setting up the buildings and trees around it too! We bought a massive set off ebay for Christmas of the thomas the tank wooden tracks and buildings. My sister gave them a big tote box of plastic thomas the train tracks with battery powered engines last week. My house is one big train track now.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:19 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

My kiddo has the Tegu blocks, which she likes, but is kind of annoying to build with as usually only two sides of the actual block are magnetized. We also have a few Brio train sets, but I feel like you need quite a bit of track to make something substantial and not only does that get pricey, but it also takes up so much space (sorry, pet peeve)! She got a Lego set when she was around three and those so far are the things she likes building with most (never worried about her choking on them because she wasn't really into mouthing things as a baby/toddler).

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:44 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Good to know about the Tegu! My kids love to build, but anything "fiddly" just throws them into fits.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:46 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

LisaPunk, building toys have just started to be appealing to my kid, so maybe things that were passed over before would be liked now. I think subtle variations can make a difference in how appealing a toy is, but kids are also kind of random.

Here are some that might fit what you're looking for.
Jumbo cardboard blocks:
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11773807&gclid=CJWIsOXfr80CFdgLgQodro8GAQ&camp=PLAPPCG-_-PID10576745:TRUS&cagpspn=plat_10576745&eESource=CAPLA_DF:11773807:TRUS
Really easy to stack and lightweight, so less likely to hurt anyone/anything when they topple.

Jumbo lego-type blocks:
http://products.lakeshorelearning.com/learning/Jumbo-Building-Blocks
They're just giant legos, but like I said, sometimes a small variation seems to make a difference. Can make something big enough for them to go inside/play peek-a-boo behind.

Tree blocks:
http://www.waldorftreasures.com/naturaltoysandgames/treeblocks/treeblocks.htm
I expected what look like random pieces of wood not to be fun, but when they're well made, they stand nicely. Might require an older kid's patience/skill. Goes with our family's sorta hippie vibe. ;-) Choking hazards aren't a concern for BabyPunk, but for younger kids who put things in their mouths, most of these fail the toilet-paper-tube test.

Bristle blocks:
http://www.battatco.com/products/bristles/bristles_pg/items_pg/3081Z.html?iframe=true
I passed these by so often until we got them as a gift. They are pretty fun, and easy to use! Ours have figurines too, though the carrying case was the big attraction. We picked up a few more sets at yard sales and found two similar-looking but incompatible bristle types. Again, many pieces fail the choking-size test.

Foam blocks:
http://www6.discountschoolsupply.com/product/ProductDetail.aspx?product=1809&v56sidl=32&v56zipl=0&v56keycodel=0
We were gifted a set like this; they also come in a jumbo size. Like the cardboard blocks, they are so light they won't hurt anything or anyone when they fall. The foam is easy to stack; the pieces don't slide off of each other the way smooth plastic might.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:02 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

I found lots of variation in waffle blocks. It seems there are lots of (incompatible) kinds, and the design makes a huge difference in what they're able to build and how they play.

Small waffle blocks:
https://www.amazon.com/Little-Tikes-Waffle-Blocks-Bucket/dp/B003PGRGH6
We picked up a bag of small ones about 3 inches across, with a few more shape variations than shown here. They're pretty good, and portable. Since BabyPunk seems to like pretending, maybe she would like building dino caves etc?

Another kind:
http://www6.discountschoolsupply.com/product/productdetail.aspx?product=7639&v56sidl=32&v56zipl=0&v56keycodel=0
Just to show another range of designs. I have not played with these, but they look cool.

Large blocks:
http://www.littletikes.com/blocks/big-waffle-blocks/invt/619137?utm_source=Google&utm_source=CPC&utm_term=619137&utm_content=Little+Tikes+Big+Waffle+Blocks&utm_campaign=googleshopping&gclid=COjzv43rr80CFdgXgQod7IMEsg
Kid had minimal interest at that time, but that might not be the toy's fault.

Polydron:
http://www.reallygoodstuff.com/giant-polydron-class-set/p/900218/
My kid actually started to play with these! The combination of triangles and squares allows a lot of fun shape possibilities, more than are shown here. Most likely it's just that he reached a certain point and became interested. He started by building chambers and cramming stuffies inside. He recently started being more creative, which is fun to watch. Maybe time to try other blocks he previously didn't care about.

Last edited by Yesyes on Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:11 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

For magnetic toys, we tried Magnatiles and Tegu long before he was interested, so I can't really comment on them.
After trying some duds I don't know the name of, I got excited by Magneatos.
https://www.fatbraintoys.com/toy_companies/guidecraft/magneatos_better_builder_100_pc_set_with_storage_case.cfm
They seemed really easy and fun to play with. I am not sure what the difference is; maybe because the magnets are strong and snap together readily. I think the sticks have magnets and the balls don't, so those pieces will stick together any which way, without having to align the magnets. Of course I connected a ball and a straight piece and did my best lounge singer impression. ("Are You Lonesome Tonight", in case you're wondering.) Again, for under-threes, there is a choking hazard. For kids who are prone to throw, the metal balls may be a consideration. My favorite magnetic toys so far.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:28 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I've started a zoob club at the library, and it has been fantastically successful. She is a little young for them, but depending on her manual dexterity they might work for her soon.

"forking vegans" ~~linanil

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:28 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

thanks yesyes!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:00 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

We decided to do one type of building toy at a time since the possibilities are endless with most types and my kids tend to scatter toys and I didn't want 4 kinds of blocks all over my house. We only do duplos and Legos. E started full on with legos recently and he is 4.5. A (2.5) still sticks everything in her mouth but we can now teach E to keep things away from her. We were lucky because although Legos are super expensive, my parents kept all the Legos and Duplos my brother and I had as kids.

There are so many building toys that are amazing that I would love for my kids to experiment with but honestly will never go for a bunch of sets of things floating around my house.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:55 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Phineas is quite fond of his K'Nex. This isn't the set he has, but it does show what the set with larger pieces for smaller kids has. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0083 ... _bw_g21_i7

We also have lots of Lego Duplo pieces. Most were purchased through our town "garage sale" facebook group. I think we paid about $5 for a whole giant tub of blocks.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:02 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

We got Giles some magnatiles for his birthday. They are a huge hit here. He plays with them independently every day, and will last even longer if you play with him. I can see this being a toy with some longevity too! Got the idea here so thank you butternut!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:04 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Oh YAY! I love magna tiles and I'm glad giles does too. They are so easy to clean up and store as well. Babynut still plays with hers for extended times.