| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: baby book recommendations (scrapbk not reading bk)
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:30 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

anyone have a baby book they really like? i was gonna peruse amazon but it's hard since i cant physically look at it.
im afraid to go in a store since it's Xmas time and the closest bookstore to me closed (Borders)
i think the closest B&N is like 20-25 mins away and frankly im lazy.

im talking about the kind you put milestones in like first steps and first toof and that stuff not books about reading about babies.

thanks.

(im struggling making an xmas list and i thought this might be something i could put on it)

Post subject: Re: baby book recommendations (scrapbk not reading bk)
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:46 am 
Nooch of Earl

We have this one. It's slightly cheesy but we like it:

http://www.amazon.com/My-Baby-Book-Keep ... 030746542X

It's got blanks to fill in for a lot of things so it's pretty easy to follow the prompts, with lots of room for photos. All the photos are stuff I would have taken a picture of anyway, so I don't feel like I'm a slave to the baby book!

I don't have it with me right now but like most of these kinds of books I think it makes some hetero/biological assumptions so those who have any kind of different situation (same sex partner, adoption, surrogacy, whatever) might want to look for something more specific to that need or be prepared to rip out and cross out.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:15 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

cool thanks.
im pretty sure any baby book is going to be cheesy. it's the nature of it!
i wish i could look inside it but the reviews seem really good.

thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:49 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I love the art in this one: http://www.buyolympia.com/q/Item=first1000days

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:27 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

^Oh man, I love Nikki Mclure's art.

Realistically, this is the only way I'd ever keep up with a baby book... http://www.amazon.com/Moms-One-Line-Day ... a+day+book

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:01 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Those are cool books already recommended! I have "The big book of me" which I like pretty well. It has cute vintage illustrations and isn't gender specific. My only complaint with it is that to me the grouping of things isn't very intuitive so I have to keep flipping through the whole book to find where to record the "firsts" and the growth chart and all - but that might be with any baby book. Also the pages are that slick shiny paper that ink takes forever to dry on so I have some smudges.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:43 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I have this one... http://www.amazon.com/Babys-First-Year-Memories-Life/dp/0756637236/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1355362727&sr=8-9&keywords=babyr%27s+first+year You can look inside, too.
I'm happy with it, it's pretty basic, spots for photos, easy prompts, etc. My only complaints are "baby's first tastes" include fish, poultry and meat. Three separate spots! I replaced them with tofu, tempeh and seitan. Problem solved!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:07 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Wow, I love the Nikki McClure one. I have this one: http://www.amazon.com/Tale-Baby-Days-Pe ... y%27s+Days

It was a gift. It's just okay. I use it almost never because the categories don't really make sense to me and there isn't enough space to write (like, there's a thing about favorite toys, but there's just one space for that - her favorite toys change every month, I need a space like that every month!). It seems better to me, if you're good at scrapbooking, to make your own in a pretty journal or a big photo album so you have plenty of space to write everything you want.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:09 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Oh yeah, and I also had to change a bunch of stuff in the family tree section of the book, because our family is not all "hetero couples married forever with intact nuclear families."

P.S. I feel so bad about how bad I've been at the Baby Book thing. My own baby book is amazing and I loved to look at it growing up.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:08 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I kept one for the Emperor in this cool asparagus book I found at Goodwill with a crazy orange paisley sateen cover and inside pages of black paper.... I have no idea where it is and am pretty sure it hasn't actually got much in it following his birth. Which is a bummer because I want to remember everything about him!

Now I'm feeling remorseful that I didn't keep one for M either. I remember everything about him still. Maybe I should get one and fill it out now before I forget! That's sort of crazy, isn't it?

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:56 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

coldandsleepy wrote:
I kept one for the Emperor in this cool asparagus book I found at Goodwill with a crazy orange paisley sateen cover and inside pages of black paper.... I have no idea where it is and am pretty sure it hasn't actually got much in it following his birth. Which is a bummer because I want to remember everything about him!

Now I'm feeling remorseful that I didn't keep one for M either. I remember everything about him still. Maybe I should get one and fill it out now before I forget! That's sort of crazy, isn't it?

not any more crazy than you know, making a human! i say do it. making humans is crazy, you might as well go with it.. :D also, if you might regret not doing it, then why not?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:16 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Not crazy at all.

One of my sister's was supposed to be making a baby book for us for F, but I think she forgot/got busy/etc. I've been keeping track of all sorts of random stuff, but it wasn't until her birthday that I decided to get a scrapbook. :)