| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vegan vitamin E to prevent stretch marks?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:05 am 
Wears Pleather Undies

All the vitamin E pills in the store have gelatin in them. X-P Anyone have a recommendation for a good vegan alternative? Im beginning to get big and wanna help my skin do the stretching it needs to do...

Post subject: Re: Vegan vitamin E to prevent stretch marks?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:23 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I've seen vitamin E in oil form, where you can either rub it on your skin or just drip some drops into your mouth. That said, I've read cocoa butter is the best for stretch mark prevention. (I read an article years ago where they tested a bunch of stretch mark prevention lotions and potions and regardless of price and such, the ones that worked best had the most cocoa butter.) I just use a 100% cocoa butter stick and slather it on my belly a few times a week (more often when I was pregnant the first time and I also alternated with a cocoa butter moisturiser).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:42 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I really think stretch marks are something you either get or you don't, moisturizers be damned. But! Oils and stuff do help a lot with the itchy belly problem and if they help a little with stretch marks, awesome. Last time I used that Mother's Special Blend stuff for a while and then switched to a Lush Therapy massage bar (which has a lot of cocoa butter in it). No stretch marks, but I like I said I'm not sure how much of that is due to the moisturizers. They both felt really good on my skin though!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:14 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Pinko wrote:
I really think stretch marks are something you either get or you don't, moisturizers be damned.

Most scientific literature on the subject indicates that it's primarily a genetic thing, and if you're genetically predisposed, lotions aren't going to do shiitake for you.

That said, I too used cocoa butter all the time in both my pregnancies and while it didn't prevent stretch marks, it did feel really pleasant. (And, as a bonus, I always smelled like cake!)

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:50 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

Humm, thats cool. I already have cocobutter lotion that I use. I still always feel so dry and itchy though!! Maybe I should put it on more often. I don't wash with soap so I'm not sure why I'm drying out so fast.

Ive heard that about stretch marks too, but then a few studies say something MAY help so I figure, might as well try. ;-)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:09 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I got vitamin E oil from a health food store. It does really help with the itchiness, but I was streaked in marks despite using that oil and cocoa butter.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:07 am 
Bathes in Braggs

yep, it's all about skin elasticity. if you got stretch marks during puberty, you'll probably get them during pregnancy. if your mom or female relatives got them, you might get them.

my mom never had any, neither did i. my sister did, but she takes after my dad's side of the family a bit more. my husband got them during puberty, so i'm guessing that my girls will be somewhat predisposed to them.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:35 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

My only 'advice' [not really] is to try not to go too far overdue! I had none up till ~38 weeks then got a few tiny ones, but after 41 weeks they went mad and got so much worse/bigger. I really don't think any amount of oil would have changed that.
Could have been something to do with being a reasonably small person growing a 9lb+ baby though!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:42 am 
Seagull of the PPK

ha, OWW! along similarly impossible lines, try not to have twins and then go overdue. I cocoa buttered the crepe out of myself [it was a really nice experience to "have to have a massage" every day] but to this day I have such massive stretch marks! They are really impressive.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:03 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Yeah, I agree the whole overdue thing too - I had hardly any stretchmarks until right around week 39 - by 42 I had a bunch. They have faded alot though and because I am a lovely shade of fishbelly white they are hardly noticeable now. Oh and I never used any lotion really just because I had no faith in it!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:40 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

littlebird wrote:
yep, it's all about skin elasticity. if you got stretch marks during puberty, you'll probably get them during pregnancy. if your mom or female relatives got them, you might get them.

I have HORRIBLE stretch marks from puberty -- all over my hips. They are awful! I moisturised my belly dutifully like a mo-fo during my entire first pregnancy, even though I'd always been told I would be covered in stretch marks no matter. I didn't get even the tiniest of stretch marks on my stomach (I went 5 days overdue and looked so comically huge). BUT I didn't moisturise my boobs at all, and when my milk came in, I got tiny stretch marks all over them. (The skin on my boobs isn't any more or less stretchy than the skin on my stomach.)

So, despite what I've always heard about not being able to avoid stretch marks, it seemed like all that cocoa butter I was slathering on helped me. I'm not saying cocoa butter is this miracle product that will 100% prevent stretch marks, but you might catch a break, like me. Those 100% cocoa butter sticks are only a buck or two in the US (I have a friend who goes there to visit her family every year and I always have her bring one back for me), so it's not like you'll go broke trying to prevent them or anything. :D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:38 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

torque wrote:
ha, OWW! along similarly impossible lines, try not to have twins and then go overdue. I cocoa buttered the crepe out of myself [it was a really nice experience to "have to have a massage" every day] but to this day I have such massive stretch marks! They are really impressive.

Heh. I think it's impossible to carry twins to term and not get at least a couple stretch marks. They didn't show up until 36 weeks or so though for me, but I think that's unusual for twins based on the reaction I got from my doctor and ultrasound tech.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:11 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

That makes sense about family history. I didnt get any stretch marks in puberty, but then again, the only place I really "grew" was my thighs/butt. The rest stayed small! My mom had a few stretch marks form her four, full-term pregnancies (including a 9 lb 15 oz baby) and not many of my other relatives had kids so I guess we shall see....

Haha, the overdue thing. Yeah, the things we cant control! Ive heard most first time babies go overdue so Im anticipating it. And Im planning a homeborth so there wont be any artificial induction at 38 weeks unless necessary. ;-) But sex, spicy food and pineapple will be happening often to give things a boost if needed. haha.

torque wrote:

Man, if I could trade stretch marks to be pregnant with twins right now, Id make that swap in an instant! Ive had a really really really rough pregnancy. I have Hyperemesis gravidarum, and have even had a prolapsed rectum. Its been one misery after another (and this coming right off the heels of a late first trimester loss!) Im never ever planning to be pregnant again. Ive spent about 14 weeks in bed now. :-( Having a second kid in there to piggy back off of this misery would make it seem more....reasonable maybe? I just feel like I should at least get two for all I've been through! But....I settle for this one little sweet thing that Im *just beginning* to feel move all around at almost 21 weeks (I have anterior placenta, they think, and that's why its been so hard to feel anything!)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:44 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

coldandsleepy wrote:
Pinko wrote:
I really think stretch marks are something you either get or you don't, moisturizers be damned.

Most scientific literature on the subject indicates that it's primarily a genetic thing, and if you're genetically predisposed, lotions aren't going to do shiitake for you.

That said, I too used cocoa butter all the time in both my pregnancies and while it didn't prevent stretch marks, it did feel really pleasant. (And, as a bonus, I always smelled like cake!)

Yeah it's just genetics. I have stretch marks all over my knees because i grew 4 inches in a summer. Most of the time people don't know but I always feel like shiitake when people point them out. But most of my other stretch marks are more easily hidden (boobs, inner thighs, hips and top of my butt)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:45 am 
Seagull of the PPK

VegHeadZealia wrote:
I have Hyperemesis gravidarum, and have even had a prolapsed rectum. Its been one misery after another (and this coming right off the heels of a late first trimester loss!) Im never ever planning to be pregnant again. Ive spent about 14 weeks in bed now. :-( Having a second kid in there to piggy back off of this misery would make it seem more....reasonable maybe? I just feel like I should at least get two for all I've been through! But....I settle for this one little sweet thing that Im *just beginning* to feel move all around at almost 21 weeks (I have anterior placenta, they think, and that's why its been so hard to feel anything!)

jeepers!! i hope it gets a little easier. or significantly easier. i was lucky to not be on bed rest and i can't even imagine the rest [except the hyperemesis, i had that with an earlier pregnancy, and that was sooooo forking terrible].