| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Farm Sanctuary Thanksgiving
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:25 pm 
Nailed to the V

Has anyone taken their kids to Farm Sanctuary's Thanksgiving for the Turkeys? If so, any thoughts on whether a toddler would enjoy the event? I'm thinking of taking Phineas this year, but I don't know if he's too young to enjoy it. (He'll be 13 months exactly the day of the SoCal event).

Post subject: Re: Farm Sanctuary Thanksgiving
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:53 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Not quite the same, but we went to Lighthouse Farm Sanctuary's Easter shindig when BabyEnchilada was 18ish months and it was great. They hide plastic eggs with food for the farm animals in them. We had to do a fair amount of redirecting just for safety issues (he's a climber and really wanted in the pig pen!) but I feel like it was good to start the tradition and we look at the photos all the time and talk about the experience.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:37 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I didn't know they had one! We're thinking of going up to LA for Yo Gabba Gabba live (assuming she's still all gabbasgabbasgabbas then).. Most of their events sound a little bit fancy, though, and thus not Violet-appropriate (even things that are toddler appropriate are not always good for V because she's a...special child). Interested in hearing what you find out! I'm not sure we'll have guests this year so not having to cook a meal sounds kind of nice.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:13 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Hmm just looked at this more. I think we'll pass. It's not actually on thanksgiving, so that would be an extra trip up to LA, plus the menu sounds like something I could make (I mean, I know they're a sponsor, but Tofurky?), and getting Vi to sit through speakers would be a joke.

http://www.farmsanctuary.org/wp-content ... n-Menu.pdf

Last year RFD had a thanksgiving dinner available as takeout. If I'm feeling extra lazy (depends on the TBD houseguest situation!) we might do something like that.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:32 pm 
Nailed to the V

I'm still trying to decide if it would be worth it. I wasn't super excited about the menu either, but I thought Phineas might enjoy visiting with the animals and seeing them feed the turkeys. (My guess is that most people would be pretty excited about the menu though. Hanging out on the PPK makes me forget that not everyone likes to cook as much as folks here do.)

FYI for anyone else interested, the event is November 9.