| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: No TV for kids under 3?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:44 am 
WRETCHED

I know you want to pick your battles but seriously who are the millions of Americans that fall asleep to tv every night? I mean, I was raised in a heavy tv watching household and I never went to sleep with the tv. When I was young, I remember needing to have the radio on to go to sleep but that stopped before I turned 10.

I know there are many factors but I see a lot of differences between my husband and myself where he grew up in a household with minimal tv and I grew up in a household with heavy tv use. I think there are certain aspects that aren't bad but I think of my husband's upbringing as more positive and fostering of multitude of activities.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:26 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

So many people fall asleep with the TV on! Part of my last job was "sleep medicine" and it was amazing to me the number of people who first of all had televisions in nearly every room of thier house, and then those who slept with the TV on all night! Our little "sleep hygeine" recommendations that I got the most push-back from were removing the TV from the bedroom entirely (because you want your body to associate the bedroom with sleep only) and kicking the pets out of your bedroom. Oh, and no nightcap - I never knew that alcohol can really adversely affect your sleep (it helps you fall asleep, but makes it harder to maintain!). The little old ladies were the worst for the sleeping with fluffy, while having a nightcap, while watching thier television...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:57 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i also hate to tell anybody what to do, but when we had our experiences with "sleep hygiene" medicine, that was one of the first things that was always mentioned, which makes me think it must have some kind of impact.

and i can't cite anything, but i do recall reading things about the changes in brainwaves that kids experience due to watching TV.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:54 am 
Semen Strong

linanil wrote:
who are the millions of Americans that fall asleep to tv every night?

The millions of people who watch late night television? :) So many people we know have a main TV, plus TV in each bedroom, and B still falls asleep to the television every night. Our neighbors have a 12 year old and a 5 year old, and they have told me their TV never goes off, because they can't sleep without the noise in the background.

We are cutting back to 3 videos a day (they're about 3 mins long). I still don't love that she wakes up in the morning and starts asking for them. I can definitely see how they are a powerful motivator.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:11 am 
***LIES!!!***

Also note the timer feature on most new TVs - you can set the TV to turn off after so much time so it won't be on all night if you fall asleep to it.

I fall asleep so much faster if it's in front of the TV, even though it's been years and years since I've had a TV in my bedroom. I've had insomnia the past week and the only cure has been to go lay on the couch and put on the TV.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:25 am 
WRETCHED

Tofulish wrote:
linanil wrote:
who are the millions of Americans that fall asleep to tv every night?

The millions of people who watch late night television? :) So many people we know have a main TV, plus TV in each bedroom, and B still falls asleep to the television every night. Our neighbors have a 12 year old and a 5 year old, and they have told me their TV never goes off, because they can't sleep without the noise in the background.

We are cutting back to 3 videos a day (they're about 3 mins long). I still don't love that she wakes up in the morning and starts asking for them. I can definitely see how they are a powerful motivator.

I don't know, maybe I imagined the people who watched late night tv were fully awake when watching it :)

My parents have a tv in each room but even with that, they don't fall asleep to the tv. I guess I just never imagined people fell asleep watching tv, I always thought people watched tv, then got ready for bed (whatever that entails) then went to sleep. I know it sounds frustrating but hopefully you guys can figure it out.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:43 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

To jump in on the falling asleep while watching tv thing - this was common in my house growing up. My mom and I would watch Star Trek and then fall asleep, or Dr. Who (followed by that astronomy guy) and fall asleep. And then when I was a teenager, I got tired of sleeping in my room because the heating vent was broken, so I started sleeping on the couch with the tv on. I can't do it now because of the light, also one time I fell asleep right after watching a tv promo for The Man Who Fell To Earth so I had a nightmare about David Bowie that I never fully recovered from.

I now have tv shows I call 'nap shows', I put them on in the afternoon because the dogs bark a lot when kids come home, the mail man, etc. and that all seems to happen when I want to nap and the fan I turn on when I sleep doesn't cut it (sometimes if i'm really tired I turn on the living room fan AND Pandora classical so the dogs hear less). The more noise there is, the less the loud noises jerk me out of sleep, and since it's daytime the screen light doesn't distract me. It's really hard to find shows that you can actually sleep through (not a whole lot of action, i've seen it a bunch so I don't need to find out what happens). Sometimes I put on soft music if I can't think of anything quickly that meets those standards.

I have trouble shutting my brain off when I sleep, which is why I need at least white noise. Sometimes the sound of people talking on tv or a song helps me focus on that instead of my brain bouncing around between what i'm doing tomorrow, interjected by a song stuck in my head, interjected by the cats running around the room like they're on crack. Sometimes if i'm tired and Brian isn't, he comes upstairs and watches Star Trek to help me fall asleep (curtain separating the area between the bed and the tv).

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:31 pm 
WRETCHED

I'm also not a tv hater but I do think developing children have different needs than adults as well. I just didn't realize so many people fell asleep to tv :). One thing that I have become acutely aware of in the past few years is the effect of commercials. We don't watch commercials normally but when we visit my parents, it is hard to avoid. My mom even got mad at me when I muted the tv when commercials came on because she wanted to watch them. It is crazy how easily you can get mesmerized by them. Youtube videos wouldn't have the same issue but I am definitely more concerned about commercials and kids than videos/tv shows/movies and kids.

And obviously you have to find a balance. I think there are good educational shows and some youtube videos don't sound harmful but I can also recognize the desire to limit screen time.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:35 pm 
Semen Strong

Thanks linanil! Its just so interesting how much she wants those videos! They are just dumb songs on Youtube with cartoon characters, nothing exciting or educational. Just a little owl and star singing "Twinkle Twinkle" but she wants to watch them over and over again.

Our doula was saying that there is research that shows that babies brains respond to the visual stimulation like they would to sugar, so it makes sense that she really likes them. I like this thread and would do more research about tv, but I think its clear that adult/parent interaction time is more valuable, so I'd just rather focus on that! Its good to hear other people's experiences, esp JENNA's with her five-year old.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:43 pm 
***LIES!!!***

It's kind of interesting, though, as I watch Malka interact with her favorite iPad apps, how there could be some serious value to that experience as well. Is it essential that my daughter's brain be wired the same way mine was, or is it valuable for her to start getting wired in a way that will enable her to live in an increasingly technologically driven world? I'm not really convinced by the arguments about "it'll mess up their wiring" when there's no standard for what kind of wiring will actually lead to a happier, more functional, life. It's actually pretty cool how she knows which app she likes, knows how to open it without being explicitly taught, knows how to work the entire thing to get what she wants out of it (she can make the spider go up and down the spout, get the squirrel to get more nuts, whatever), and has a more interactive and engaging experience with it than she does when someone's reading a book to her (even if that someone elaborates on stuff, asks her to point to things, etc.). It's so self-directed and kind of empowering. But again, there's the obsession piece of it and the inability to transition to another activity gently. People who are computer obsessed are often just not that fun to be around!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:57 pm 
Semen Strong

I haven't ever seen anything supporting the "mess up your wiring" thesis, though! It seems like fearmongering sometimes, but again, I don't have enough info. I would be happier if she were playing games and working on dexterity instead of just watching insipid videos.... Malka sounds really adept with her iPad! Its kind of funny that I am now considering getting one for Leela, where I wouldn't get one for myself. It seems like a great way to handle traveling with babies too.....

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:23 pm 
***LIES!!!***

We totally got it in anticipation of the traveling and totally got it "for her" when we'd never have gotten one for ourselves (now I use it all the time though, much better than using my phone for the same tasks). On the first flight it didn't help because we hadn't uploaded enough stuff to it, but on the way back it was a lifesaver.

It is absolutely mindblowing how adept Malka is with technology and how quickly she learns how to do new things with it (she still can't figure out how to find the pictures on my phone, but she'll bring my phone to me, point and say "baby baby baby" which is hilarious). But she has this laser focus that she brings to a lot of stuff that is sometimes scary to me. With books, she singles out a particular scene or page that she just NEEDS TO SEE RIGHT NOW (and then she's just done with the book altogether) and she can't deal with you just reading the book to her and waiting to get to that scene. I'm working on that with her because the ability to wait for gratification is really important! And if there's a baby in the drawings, just forget it, because she will not get anything out of that book besides "find the baby."

Yeah, I haven't seen anything real in support of the brain stuff either, but I think it makes sense that the malleable bits of your brain wire themselves in response to the stimuli you present them with and thus they're going to wire themselves differently if you give them TV or computers instead of nature. The end result, though, who knows. There was an article just the other day in the NYT about video games being good for kids with dyslexia - there is probably something to the wiring hypothesis, but the reaction to that is in the same camp as the paleofreaks - what we have decided is "natural" is better, even when it's not adaptive and doesn't meet current reality.

In other too much screen time news, Malka woke up this morning and we had forgotten to close the gate to the living room like we usually do, so she went into the living room and first, found my phone and brought it to me in bed (why, no idea) and then went back into the living room, found the iPad which had been hidden, and quietly played with it for about 15 minutes until we got up to make sure she wasn't climbing on the kitchen table or something.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:30 pm 
Inflexitarian

I think screen time participating in an educational app on an ipad and watching television are two very different things. Even if it's educational television. I think the biggest difference is the interaction piece. The kids aren't just sitting there zoning out. When I see kids watching tv they look like little terribly cute zombies staring wide eyed at the screen, laughing or giggling at times then going back to the zone. TV time is still very limited around here and we never really watch it on a specific schedule so Guineapiglet never really has learned to anticipate it at certain times or ask for anything by name. Her father pointed out that we also have never given a name to the tv or to any tv shows, it wasnt intentional we just never did so I guess she wouldn't even know what to ask for if it did cross her mind to want to watch. I can't believe I'm saying this but I actually really like spanish dubbed version of The Wiggles. I can't believe I'm saying this because my pre-motherhood self would have died if I ever thought I would be saying I like The Wiggles. The spanish language version is mostly educational songs and they're easy to learn and follow along with so by the second verse Guineapiglet has usually got the song down and we dance, sing and act out the song together. It's a great interactive show for us plus it's On Demand so there's no commercials which is nice.

Tofulish you are hunch is correct! An ipad is an invaluable tool for a traveling toddler - INVALUABLE! We've had to take several cross country flights and I literally don't know how we would have made it without the ipad. She doesn't really ever use my ipad when we're at home but that's mostly because I'm using it. When we're waiting at a doctors office or at a La Leche League meeting and she's starting to get restless it's a helpful tool to redirect her when all the usual things she loves (books, toys, markers, etc.) aren't there.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:31 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

mrsbadmouth wrote:
(followed by that astronomy guy)

OMG, I loved that guy!!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:59 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Oh, and I forgot to mention that as an adult, I still think having more than 2-3 tvs is stupid, Brian and I actually survived just fine with only one for years (right now we have two of our own). We also don't have cable, and i'm glad because I haaaaaaate commercials and mindless channel surfing, I like to watch the shows I want to watch and then turn them off. My parents built an open floor plan house, and there was a tv in the living area, and then two tvs in the dining/kitchen area so my dad could see a tv no matter where he was sitting. Then a tv in their bedroom and a tv in the computer room. Brian's parents are similar, Brian and I almost never use the big tv in the living room but my father-in-law still went out and bought a tv for his bedroom and his office. Before Brian's mom moved out, there was a tv in the kitchen and a tv in the dining room, then a small tv on her desk in the dining room. I don't get that because in both of our parents houses, you basically could only turn on one tv at a time anyway or else you'd be interrupting someone else's program.

I'm starting to think this is a 70's/80's problem, when tvs became cheaper AND when a bigger, nice one came out, you didn't pitch your old tv, you just bought a new one and moved the smaller one to a lesser-used room. My parents still had my grandparents old black and white tv as recently as 10 years ago.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:03 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

TheCrabbyCrafter wrote:
mrsbadmouth wrote:

OMG, I loved that guy!!!

The Star Hustler? With Jack Horkheimer?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:10 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

A couple of weeks ago, the boy (age 3) got his hands on an iPad for the first time. He took to it instantly. The actual owner of the iPad noticed that he was pretty proficient with it, and was pretty surprised to find that he had never messed with one before for any length of time.

I'm trying to teach him to play driving games, since he likes watching me play them-- this means I have to find something that I can turn down the difficulty on, which sort of works. The problem seems to be that modern controllers have WAY too many buttons and things. 2 joysticks, a D-pad, 4 buttons, start, select, 2 triggers on each side-- they're massively complex. I think it'll be good for his manual dexterity, though. He'll be learning it anyway soon enough. I've played a couple of driving games and a thing called "Proteus" (a totally conflict-free exploration game with music and a tiny simulated island environment complete with animals and seasons and some weird pretty stuff - http://www.visitproteus.com ), and he's taking to it pretty well. The hardest part is keeping myself from saying NO YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG and taking over. I pretty firmly ration this, but he CRAVES it. This is a feeling I know full well, and it's hard not to sympathize with him.

Anyway, it's supervised, a thing he and I can do together on special occasions-- less than twice a week, and usually not even once a week. Usually it's on weekend afternoons when the baby is asleep and we've already been out and about that day.

So anyway, I hope that if I can give him a little early training, he can pwn the other kids. Yeah.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:13 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

solipsistnation wrote:
TheCrabbyCrafter wrote:
mrsbadmouth wrote:

OMG, I loved that guy!!!

The Star Hustler? With Jack Horkheimer?

Yes!! I never remember what it was called and only saw it a few times. I love how he walks down that starbeam path thing. That was the only bit I remembered specifically about the show, other than totally loving it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:25 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Tofulish wrote:
Just a little owl and star singing "Twinkle Twinkle" but she wants to watch them over and over again.

I know that video! This one, right?

If I was in your shoes I'd be annoyed too (one of the great disappointments of Kai's infant year is my husband letting him play way more with the iPad then I wanted). But on the upside, I don't think that video is too bad. It's cute and at least it is a song - I know videos are still too much stimulation but somehow I figure songs must be better than spongebob or something.

Funny enough, this video used to make Kai cry when he was a baby - any song that sounded a little sad used to make him cry!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:27 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Also, is it just me or does youtube have way more commercials now? I hate that.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:33 am 
Semen Strong

Hahaha! Yes that one and a few others, but all the same kind of thing. I don't watch them with her, but from the minute he comes home its "Uppabo? Uppabo?" (For Up Above (the world so high)). And yes! Its a dating site ad or whatever before each 2 min video.

At least she is with him and they sing along and he cuddles her, so its not like she is just parked in front of a video. But I agree with GP that an iPad seems like a big improvement, because you are working on cognitive skills and manual dexterity. We have a V-Tech computer with games like A describes, and its really hard to use, so L just listens to the noises. I think she'd at least get something from them (counting, fine motor skills) with an iPad.

Its so funny, I grew up in Kenya in the 70s, and we had a black and white tv, one channel that started its programming at 5 and showed news reels and a few locally made shows (my Dad hosted one on animals bc he was a professor of biology at the university). I never had a computer growing up - first started to use them in college (early 90s) and will never forget the sound a dot matrix printer makes. And Leela grows up seeing and using all this fancy stuff which will be just as obsolete and outdated once she is grown,

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:55 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

For a while I was finding children's music videos on youtube, and MAN there are some weird things on there. There's some group that posts the WORST versions of songs (singing children, man. Or groups of adults singing in kiddy voices. I can't take it). These guys make CGI versions of songs where EVERYTHING MOVES ALL THE TIME. Throbbing trains on throbbing tracks, all psychedelic colors, zooming in and out, flopping around like they're made of rubber, nightmare grinning faces blinking in time to the music as they chug through a pulsating rainbow landscape-- I had terrible pulsating dreams that night and woke in a cold sweat. (Not really, but it was pretty bad.)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:34 am 
ugh

solipsistnation, could you try the Wii version of Mario Kart (if you have a Wii)? Since it's motion control there aren't too many buttons to learn.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:22 am 
Inflexitarian

Tofulish wrote:
Its so funny, I grew up in Kenya in the 70s, and we had a black and white tv, one channel that started its programming at 5 and showed news reels and a few locally made shows (my Dad hosted one on animals bc he was a professor of biology at the university). I never had a computer growing up - first started to use them in college (early 90s) and will never forget the sound a dot matrix printer makes. And Leela grows up seeing and using all this fancy stuff which will be just as obsolete and outdated once she is grown,

The funny thing is back then having one black and white tv was a lot of technology in the house and was pretty fancy stuff. I remember our first computer, an Apple II GS. I was obsessed with playing the Oregon Trail! Oh and that dot matrix printer was just the best, ha ha. I remember you had to line up the wholes on the side of the paper to the printer so the paper could be guided through then tear off the holes. We have certainly come a long way.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:31 am 
***LIES!!!***

Oh man, I used to love playing Oregon Trail.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next