| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Why did you choose a midwife?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:24 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

So since my OBGYN decided to stop dealing with pregnant ladies and just dropped this bomb on me yesterday during my appointment I'm forced to hunt for someone new. I've always thought of switching to a midwife but never did because I liked my Dr. just fine and she and the hospital were/are located down the block from my house so it was convenient. BUT...since I'm no longer in her care I'm thinking about looking into the very few midwifes that are part of my health plan.

I'm just wondering what do you ladies think is so great about using a midwife as opposed to a OBGYN? I have lots of my own reasons from friends I've talked to but was just wondering what your's were. :)

Post subject: Re: Why did you choose a midwife?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:00 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I've only had with midwives affiliated with hospitals, which I think aren't really THAT different than good OBGYNs. I liked that they seemed potentially mellower and more positive about natural childbirthing options, including letting me labor at my own pace, in my own positions, trying harder to avoid intervention, etc. Basically, I thought a midwife would make me feel more empowered, but I wanted someone affiliated with a hospital or birth center because my apartment is just not ideal for homebirthing.

This time around I felt like my options were pretty limited since I mostly just wanted someone who would give me an opportunity to have a VBAC. There is a hospital 3 blocks from my home, but they have a strict no VBAC policy. Fortunately, someone pointed me to a hospital 30 minutes away that has a very pro-VBAC birthing center with Midwife centric birthing policies (all the rooms are private, have birthing tubs, you are allowed to move freely during labor, etc). I see a midwife/OB group. I mostly deal with the midwives, but I have to say the one time I talked to the OBGYN he was SOOOOOO nice and seemed like he was right on board with the midwives and their philosophy.

I've heard people talk about midwives being more outgoing and really taking the time to get to know you and what you want from your pregnancy and birth. I haven't felt strongly that either midwife group I saw (they were completely different, in two different states) did this much more than a regular OBGYN would, but again, my midwives worked closely with hospitals, maybe that made them different. I'm very happy with the care I've received, but I'm pretty sure a good OBGYN could provide something quite similar. Just in case, I'll stick with midwives.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:41 am 
Bathes in Braggs

i chose midwives for a gazillion reasons, although not all of them would be applicable to you, since you're in the states.

firstly, i wanted a home birth. that didn't happen for pretty good reasons this time, but i will make the same plans next time.

secondly, i wanted a more personal relationship and a less "medical" experience. that goal was completely 100% met, even though i had to change midwives 3 times (and didn't even end up with my primary!) and unexpectedly gave birth in a hospital. my appointments were more like therapy sessions, and given that i had no friends and a minimal support system at the time, were so necessary. when i was in the hospital, my midwife was my caregiver so i never even had to see a hospital staff person the entire time i was in labour.

thirdly, i wanted the continuity of care. as soon as we were home from the hospital, the midwives took us back on for the remainder of the 6 weeks pp that they take care of you. that meant that when my stitches came out from having to walk up and down our apartment stairs to the NICU everyday, my midwife came over at 8am in the morning and fixed them on my bed! or when we were having breastfeeding issues, the midwife brought their staff lc over.

i also wanted to support midwife culture in my city and country, and figured that using their services is the best way to do that. i will definitely be using them next time! yay midwives!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:19 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

I chose a midwife for a bunch of different reasons, but the one that stands out to me is the fact that a midwife is with you the whole time. The doctor will pop in and out until the end, but the midwife is there start to finish (if you want her to be). That helped me tremendously in labor. It's such an out of control feeling, and I really liked having someone who knew what they were doing by my side the whole time.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:56 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I...don't remember?

I honestly think the idea popped into my head, fully-formed one day: "When I get pregnant, I want to see a midwife." I don't know where this came from, other than the fact that the OB who removed my (first) IUD treated me like I would be a high-risk pregnancy without even knowing me. (I think that's just his style.) However, it wasn't like, "Wow, that dude sucked. I'm gettin' me a midwife!"

Now, after the fact, I have a million, trillion, zillion reasons I love my midwives, and a billion-hojillion reasons why I'll go with a midwife when and if I get pregnant again. In (very) short, I loved the way my midwives treated me.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:06 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I have always been interested in holistic medicine and natural healing instead of traditional medicine so that was a big thing for me. I also wanted as many options as possible and felt that a midwife would be more open to me being vegan as well as different birth ideas (water births in hopsitals here isn't allowed). Doctors can take up to 130 cases a year and midwives are limited to 80 or so, the quality of your time with them is greater due to the decreased number in patient mass*. I have always felt like Doctors have a "high and mighty" type attitude where as a midwife is a much more open minded alternative.

* My numbers may be off with the yearly patient max. but those are the numbers that stick out in my mind.

Gumboots & Cats Facebook Page
http://www.gumbootsandcats.tumblr.com/
http://www.gumbootsandcats.blogspot.com/
http://www.gumbootscatsvegansnacks.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:12 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

weebum wrote:
I chose a midwife for a bunch of different reasons, but the one that stands out to me is the fact that a midwife is with you the whole time. The doctor will pop in and out until the end, but the midwife is there start to finish (if you want her to be).

Yeah, this wasn't the case with my first midwife, and won't be with this one, either. I really think, though, that may be because I've dealt with CNMs that deliver at hospitals. What I like about my current hospital is that their entire birthing center is led by midwife philosophy. So, I feel pretty confident that any staff I'll be dealing with will provide support similar to my midwives.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:23 am 
Baking In The Flavor

I wanted continuity of care (the midwifery clinic I chose had three midwives, you got to know each very well over the 7 months, and one of them would have been my birth attendant, had I not been transferred out) vs. the MD situation (I've interviewed a few OBs and family practitioners since then, thinking about VBACs, but none of them attend during labor and most of them said they'd only be around for the moment of birth if they were on call that day---otherwise I'd be getting whomever was in the hospital rotation that day. I didn't like that.).

I also wanted more time during prenatal visits, to get my head straight, to talk about childbirth. My friends who've seen OBs average 15-20 mins/visit with the doctor. I never had less than 60 mins w/the midwives. W/the midwives, we discussed my feelings, thoughts, talked about research, my family, received encouragement, etc. My friends seeing MDs describe something less whole-being and more test-result-minded and "here's what we do in my practice." I can see why some find that reassuring, but it wasn't for me.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:28 am 
Seagull of the PPK

I chose a midwife because it scared me less than having an ob-gyn. I specifically wanted a woman with me, even if the OB ended up being a man (since you never know who might be on duty when the baby comes).
in my neighborhood, the midwife practice also was much more culturally diverse and much more compassionate. I remember after the birth when one baby was in the ICU and doing really badly and the other baby was also in ICU for antibiotics after meconium, and the hospital wanted to discharge me after 24 hours with no baby to take home, the midwife looked at the chart and looked at me (i was sort of a wreck at this point) and said matter-of-factly "i think you are going to be experiencing dizziness and loss of balance for the next day or two until at least one baby can come home with you." They were especially very connected to the mental health/PPD aspects which was super helpful for me. I didn't know about it when i chose the practice, but i'm glad i did.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:08 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I finally found a midwife in my health plan and have an appointment with her next Tuesday. I was instantly at ease and relaxed after talking to the receptionist over the phone to make the appointment. I haven't felt relaxed about this pregnancy in about 3 weeks. I actually called a few OB's before I called her and non of them would see me until the end of December!...some wouldn't even see me at all because they were just to busy or I didn't live in the same county as they did. The midwife's place did whatever they could to see me right away. I like her already. :)

Crantastic wrote:

I also wanted more time during prenatal visits, to get my head straight, to talk about childbirth. My friends who've seen OBs average 15-20 mins/visit with the doctor. I never had less than 60 mins w/the midwives. W/the midwives, we discussed my feelings, thoughts, talked about research, my family, received encouragement, etc. My friends seeing MDs describe something less whole-being and more test-result-minded and "here's what we do in my practice." I can see why some find that reassuring, but it wasn't for me.

My OB visits maybe lasted 10 minutes. At first I was ok with that but i'm an emotional mess this time around and really want someone who will spend more time with me and encourage me along this bumpy road I'm on. That is one of my main reasons why I wanted to switch to a midwife. I also really want a natural birth. My birth experience with Reno 3 years ago still doesn't sit well with me and I didn't like how I was treated. I will still be giving birth in a hospital, which I'm comfortable with, hopefully I won't have to be induced. I'm also excited because this hospital has tubs/pools? that i can labor in if I like.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:28 pm 
Semen Strong

I'm glad you found someone who puts you at ease. You deserve to have a great experience and a lot of support for this pregnancy, and I hope you find someone who gives you that.

Sending you a ton of good thoughts <3