| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Hi everyone and new here! I need help with Vegan recipes
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:41 pm 
Offline
Wears Pleather Undies

Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:22 pm
Posts: 21
Hi!
My name is Natalie and i have three kids. Kaitlyn is 8 1/2, Madison is 6 1/2 and Little Anthony is 2 1/2. I have also been married for 9 years now! My husband is a Meat eater and im not. So its very hard buying for 5 people on a budget. Im here to ask how to Budget for 2 weeks and still keep me satisfied. I just became Vegan last March and its been hard. I been on and off a lot. When there is no Money i have to eat whats in the house and sometimes its meat and dairy. I hope its not like that again since my husband has a new job and income is coming in. It has to be Soy, Tofu, Gluten, Wheat and sugar free foods. I have reactions to Wheat/Gluten from Breads, pastries, cereals and anything made in a facility. I bloat up and get a ton of acne. Soy is bad on the most part, that is what i have read the other day and more and more people have told me to stay away from Soy and why. I tend to agree. I may have some kind of Thyroid problem and wont know until May. I been trying to lose weight but instead im going up. Last Feb to July i was around 124 to 127lbs now im 137 the most. So i been walking a mile a day with the kids. My problem is everything. From Breakfast to Dinner and then in between. Before i became Vegan i used to eat nothing but chocolate chip cookies, chips, Quesadilla's with cheese, Meat, chicken, Pasta but i never gained a ton either.

I will not eat Package stuff either, even if its Vegan. its still Processed and i would like to just avoid Morning Star, Boca, Tofu ( i never liked it ) Tempeh, Siettan (Sp)? My kids do not like it either. They are not Vegan either, they eat Chicken once in a while and hamburgers and ground beef every once in a while. they love Animals but they love to eat it too. My husband does not help either, He rolls his eyes because he doesn't believe anything a label says can actually harm the body. Hes totally over weight, Smokes and drinks too much Red Bull and Coke. I know i cant force him but it makes me sad what hes doing to him self.
My husband i prefer not to spend more then $170 in groceries. Sometimes it more because i need to buy Laundry and cleaning supplies. And because he wants his chips, soda, Snapple, ice teas, ground beef, tacos etc. I always go to the market alone while he stays in the car. I take my youngest and im in there for like 1 hour. Everything is expensive. Not everything is really Organic. everything says Peru, Mexico. Some say certain cities closer to me and they are farms but i don't know for sure. All the stuff i want is like $1 to $2.99 a lb for just one APPLE! or Oranges. Grapes are like $2.99 to $5 a lb. Avocados are the most expensive too and they are not from where i live. I never have nothing to snack on and im so tired of being hungry. I have three kids and if i buy oranges i have to use two just to feed 3 kids and then im left with nothing. $170 does not go far, because of my DH. He always tells me buy what you need. But i cant. if i had it my way everyone would be Vegan.
I don't know what more to do, i don't know what anymore to buy. Lol. I cant do Pasta either. My mom is from Argentina and so are my Grandparents and extended family but we are used to eating like Italians. Most of my family is from Italy or migrated from their to Argentina. My dad is Mexican (parents Divorced) but i love tacos, and beans, rice, chili rellenos. Stuff i cant eat anymore.
I gain a ton of weight if i just buy pasta because i used to eat like 4 bowls. I don't buy cereal because that's also a killer for me. I eat too much of it. I only buy Water and Silk Almond Milk. But i heard its also bad because the company who owns it isn't vegan? I am sorry this is long but i need to get this out. I need help budgeting and buying fulfilling foods that will stretch for 2 weeks straight.

Thanks :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hi everyone and new here! I need help with Vegan recipes
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:15 am 
Offline
Not NOT A Furry
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:12 am
Posts: 498
Location: Eugene, OR
It sounds like beans are going to be your new best friend. Cheap, filling, tasty, full of protein.
Being vegan isn't about perfection. Some people avoid Silk brand stuff because Dean (a big milk brand) owns them. But if you like it and it makes sense for you to consume that, don't worry about it. Do the best you can.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hi everyone and new here! I need help with Vegan recipes
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:18 am 
Offline
Not NOT A Furry
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:12 am
Posts: 498
Location: Eugene, OR
Also, there are some good threads here about budgeting challenges. $170 for a family of 5 seems like quite a stretch. It's probably doable, but I sometimes struggle with spending about that much per month for just myself.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hi everyone and new here! I need help with Vegan recipes
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:53 am 
Offline
Wears Pleather Undies

Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:22 pm
Posts: 21
sisterlegume wrote:
Also, there are some good threads here about budgeting challenges. $170 for a family of 5 seems like quite a stretch. It's probably doable, but I sometimes struggle with spending about that much per month for just myself.


thanks for the info, but where are these threads sorry. Yea we cant go spending $300 or more for 2 weeks thats kinda too much money to be wasting and a lot of produce going in the trash. My fridge is a old white one from my apartment. it either makes everything warm or super cold. everything dies and freezes in the Fridge so fast. We have other bills to pay that is why i have a budget. We are in debt right now and owe over $16,000 in credit cards. It is something we are trying to pay off. Most of them are not even mine anyways. thanks.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hi everyone and new here! I need help with Vegan recipes
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:17 am 
Offline
WRETCHED
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:54 pm
Posts: 8646
Location: Maryland/DC area
So your budget is $170/month for a family of 5? Does that include the meat and dairy?

Do you have an Asian market or other ethnic markets near you? You can often get beans, lentils, rice, fruits, veggies and spices there fairly cheap.

If your family isn't too particular on the types of fruits and veggies and open to experimentation, I'd recommend looking into buying a CSA share. You'd have to put some money down upfront but you'd get fruits and veggies from a farm or a group of farms on a weekly basis throughout the season. In my area they start up in May but many shares sell out in early January.

Here is a recent thread on eating frugally
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=24964

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7934

_________________
You are all a disgrace to vegans. Go f*ck yourselves, especially linanil.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hi everyone and new here! I need help with Vegan recipes
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:48 am 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:57 am
Posts: 1861
Location: Scotland
I second Asian and other ethnic markets! Sometimes flea markets sell cheap produce and expired dry goods (kept my husband and I eating well when we lived in the US), too. I haven't found anything like that in the UK, but they have something similar on-line, where you can get overstocks and expired dry goods for super cheap (not sure if there's anything like that in the US). I think $170 a month for a family of 5 is totally do-able, especially if most of what you cook is vegan, but you will need to convince your husband to give up things like Snapple and other packged drinks and snacks.
Also, is there a place that sells things in bulk? It doesn't have to be like Costco -- sometimes regular grocery stores will sell the same things by the pound (where you scoop or fill however much you want into bags or containers) that they sell in the ailes for much more. Even the Latino sections of the grocery stores I used to visit sold stuff (the same stuff) cheaper than the other aises.
It also helps to shop at the right time of the day -- a lot of stores will reduce the price of about-to-expire bread and veg and such at a certain time each day -- sometimes you can find out on-line from other moneysavers in various forums.
And then there is the whole coupon-clipping, eating seasonally, and shopping at discount stores, like Aldi's and Lidl's (they have really cheap produce here).

There are 4 of us (and a bun in the oven) and other than rent and utilities, last year we spent under £500 a month on everything else (my husband just did the annual budget, that's how I know) -- food, transport, cleaning supplies, toiletries, holidays, clothes, furniture, etc. -- everything. And we could have cut back even more if we needed to [i.e. we didn't have to spend £300 on Japanese futons (although that was a steal) or go on our wee weekend holidays and my husband could give up hiking (getting to and from where he goes to hike can cost up to £20, I think) and I could have not gotten my hair cut and not bought my pregnancy DVDs and exercise equipment and we didn't have to buy a new TV (even though it was cheap) and we could have cut back even more on groceries, etc.].
I am kind of a moneysaving/savvy spending fiend and am always trying to find new ways to cut corners without feeling like we are. I feel like we're living really well, despite being so strict with money -- I'm sure most people would be really surprised if they knew how puny our income is.

So hang in there, you can do it! :D

_________________
http://reallycrabbycrafter.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheTartanVicar


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hi everyone and new here! I need help with Vegan recipes
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:03 pm 
Offline
WRETCHED
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:54 pm
Posts: 8646
Location: Maryland/DC area
Oh and I'd also suggest you use your library to check out books. Viva Vegan is a good book for all sorts of south/central american inspired dishes.

Veganomicon also has a a great kale & potato enchilada recipe along with other recipes.

_________________
You are all a disgrace to vegans. Go f*ck yourselves, especially linanil.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hi everyone and new here! I need help with Vegan recipes
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:59 pm 
Offline
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:34 pm
Posts: 260
How do you go about making a menu plan and grocery list? It is going to be your best bet at keeping your budget in check. Make a menu for the week, then write out a list before going shopping. Try and plan meals around the grocery store sales. I don't buy certain things unless they are on sale. Every week we get oranges, bananas, and apples, but when grapes or melons are on sale we get those. Carrots, onions, broccoli, and celery tend to be cheaper all the time, so those get bought weekly too. I have a 2.5 year old and an almost 5 year old, and along with my husband, I usually shop for all our groceries, cleaning, and health/beauty for $100 a week or under. I don't buy meat, but I usually buy a tofu or tempeh which equals a pound of whatever meat I would have bought. Now for your husband, you could easily cook a vegan meal, then let him add some grilled chicken or ground beef if he wants too. Same for your kids if that is the route you want them to go. That way you are not spending money for two meals a day. Definitely get some quick and easy whole foods cookbooks. I like Isa's Appetite for Reduction, but there are a few others that seem easier and faster. There is a No-Queso Quesadilla recipe in The Vegan Table using hummus, scallions(green onions), and salsa. They are delicious and my husband loves them. Super fast, easy, and cheap.

Good luck!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hi everyone and new here! I need help with Vegan recipes
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:59 pm 
Offline
Dislikes Rick Santorum
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:51 am
Posts: 5350
Location: United States of New England
to be honest reading your restrictions and stuff i dont think the vegan part of your food shopping will be expensive AT ALL.

being a vegan can be really cheap or really expensive. it depends on your preferences and what you make of it. if you're like me and in your head you have convinced yourself you're an awesome vegan iron chef you'll be at whole foods all the time looking for weird obscure and very expensive ingredients. that adds up QUICK.

if you dont have silly delusions in your head about how awesome you are at making gourmet meals and eat "normal," vegan shopping *can* be cheap. the expensive stuff is all the stuff you said you cant eat. the meat analogs and processed vegan "stuff"

beans are like stoopidly cheap. also if you get dried beans and reconstitute them yourself they're even CHEAPER.
can you do rice? rice is cheap. you can buy a grain called quinoa in bulk (the kind that comes in a box is more expensive).

the expensive part of your shopping list is going to be your husband's stuff. meat and dairy are EXPENSIVE.
the only potential part of your vegan shopping list that might be expensive is the produce depending on what you want to buy. organic stuff is obviously more expensive. buying stuff thats in season can be cheaper. if you have any farmer's markets near you (lucky!) that can be cheaper too.

_________________
Unimpressed Baby Blog


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hi everyone and new here! I need help with Vegan recipes
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:04 pm 
Offline
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:34 pm
Posts: 260
Also, I am not sure where you are from, but do you have an Aldi nearby? My husband and I drove to the nearest one once, and it is by far way cheaper then anything else. There processed stuff seems to have a lot more sodium then the brand names, but their produce and refridgerator section prices can't be beat. Too bad for us, it is not feasible for me to drive a half hour to Aldi, when I have a Meijer right down the road.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hi everyone and new here! I need help with Vegan recipes
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:33 pm 
Offline
Lactose Intolerant...Literally
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:58 pm
Posts: 729
Location: Indiana
Aldi is great. Beans and canned veggies for 59 cents a can. Frozen veggies 89 and 99 cents a bag. 3 lb bags of apples for $2.49 this week. Same for a 3 lb bag of clementines. The key to not throwing it away is to EAT it! ;) I bet your kids will love the clementines. Aldi also has hummus, a lot of "accidentally vegan" crackers and breads, and snack foods. Their cereals can be frustrating if you are concerned with vitamin D sources. But they're great for produce and staples.

Also, I would encourage you to further investigate the soy issue and who funds the studies that say soy is bad. They have an industry to protect (dairy) and many of the researchers are heavily funded by grants from the dairy industry. Soy isn't evil. It's just a bean.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hi everyone and new here! I need help with Vegan recipes
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:52 pm 
Offline
WRETCHED
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:54 pm
Posts: 8646
Location: Maryland/DC area
Yeah, I love soy, especially tofu but there are also vegans that are allergic to soy, they do fine. I've read quite a bit of soy research and from what I've read, it doesn't match up to the many negative claims. Even people with thyroid issues have been cleared by their doctors to eat soy but there is some concern about eating soy and taking thyroid medication within a couple hours of eachother. I mean grapefruit is one thing I know that messes up with a lot of medication, I love grapefruit but don't eat it due to medication but you don't hear people talking about the evils of grapefruit.

_________________
You are all a disgrace to vegans. Go f*ck yourselves, especially linanil.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hi everyone and new here! I need help with Vegan recipes
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:18 pm 
Offline
Dislikes Rick Santorum
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:51 am
Posts: 5350
Location: United States of New England
for some reason i thought you stated you were allergic to soy but now that i reread i see that you arent!

yes do more reading on soy! for every article that says "soy is bad" you will find an article that says "soy is amazing!"
it's a great source of protein, it's yummy delicious!! yes tofu is "processed" but tempeh is slightly less processed though i prefer tofu by a gazillion miles. many vegans love tempeh though.

i figure thousands of years of Asian culture cant be wrong!

of course if you eat it and it makes you feel ick then you may have a soy intolerance which is a real thing!

_________________
Unimpressed Baby Blog


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hi everyone and new here! I need help with Vegan recipes
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:21 pm 
Offline
Dislikes Rick Santorum
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:51 am
Posts: 5350
Location: United States of New England
linanil wrote:
Yeah, I love soy, especially tofu but there are also vegans that are allergic to soy, they do fine. I've read quite a bit of soy research and from what I've read, it doesn't match up to the many negative claims. Even people with thyroid issues have been cleared by their doctors to eat soy but there is some concern about eating soy and taking thyroid medication within a couple hours of eachother. I mean grapefruit is one thing I know that messes up with a lot of medication, I love grapefruit but don't eat it due to medication but you don't hear people talking about the evils of grapefruit.


yeah what is up with grapefruit? i cant eat it or drink it because of the anti depressants i take but i have no idea why??????????????????????

_________________
Unimpressed Baby Blog


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hi everyone and new here! I need help with Vegan recipes
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:23 pm 
Offline
Semen Strong
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:10 pm
Posts: 19105
Location: Cliffbar NJ
It sounds like you are looking to do two things (1) budget and (2) lose weight.

(1) Budget: You can definitely live cheaply on lentils and beans (dried not from cans)! And get frozen veg so you're not throwing as much out. And do look into the soy issue, because its just not as bad as people like to say.

(2) Have you read Eat to Live? Its a very vegan friendly way to lose weight and there is a lot of emphasis on veggies and beans, not rice, pasta, bread etc. You can see what you need to feel full. You mention eating 4 bowls of pasta if its around - if you serve your food on a bed of greens, then there is no way you won't be sated. There is a portion size thread here that might be useful for you

Good luck to you!

_________________
My oven is bigger on the inside, and it produces lots of wibbly wobbly, cake wakey... stuff. - The PoopieB.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hi everyone and new here! I need help with Vegan recipes
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:34 pm 
Offline
Wears Pleather Undies

Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:22 pm
Posts: 21
linanil wrote:
So your budget is $170/month for a family of 5? Does that include the meat and dairy?

Do you have an Asian market or other ethnic markets near you? You can often get beans, lentils, rice, fruits, veggies and spices there fairly cheap.

If your family isn't too particular on the types of fruits and veggies and open to experimentation, I'd recommend looking into buying a CSA share. You'd have to put some money down upfront but you'd get fruits and veggies from a farm or a group of farms on a weekly basis throughout the season. In my area they start up in May but many shares sell out in early January.

Here is a recent thread on eating frugally
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=24964

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7934


No we dont have any of those things where i live. I live in the county of san bernardino california and in the city of Victorville, Ca. its considered the "High Deesert" i am 1 hour and 30 mins away from Los angeles. I went to the LA Green festival a few months back and there where a few CSA but they dont come here. I used to pay monthly for fruits and veggies in Tacoma, WA when i lived there. We would pick it up at a local place. it was $24 a month and i never had to put any money down. There are no Asian markets, yes latino markets but the food is from out of the country. I wont go into any Mexican market. No, not $170 a month. $170 every 2 weeks for groceries.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hi everyone and new here! I need help with Vegan recipes
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:39 pm 
Offline
Wears Pleather Undies

Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:22 pm
Posts: 21
linanil wrote:
Oh and I'd also suggest you use your library to check out books. Viva Vegan is a good book for all sorts of south/central american inspired dishes.

Veganomicon also has a a great kale & potato enchilada recipe along with other recipes.


Thanks, i do have Vegan books and i go online and read Vegan Blogs, i google search Vegan on a budget, Or cheap vegan dishes etc etc. I know how to cook very well. I love all kinds of foods. I'd eat Quinoa all day and night if i could with brussels sprouts. Trader Joes is far. I live right in the middle of the desert. There is nothing here except for one health food store that nobody goes too because its over priced. More over priced then Whole foods. The company is just ridiculous. On yelp.com the Reviewers talk about the company in bad light because how over priced there stuff is. I cant get any fake cheese where i am. the only market is 30 mins away with Vegan stuff but i cant do Soy. The fake cheese is $4.99 for like 10 slices too expensive.. I dont want to spend $5 on fake cheese so i do with out. My husband is dependent on Cheese. he has to have it on his tacos and on his baked zitis.

I like Kale when it is cooked in soup or stews. I cant eat it raw, its kinda gross for me. Enchiladas would be cheese free with Avocados and Beans only. that isnt filling. I am also Nursing my 2 1/2 year old still. Im always hungry and no matter what i eat im still hungry especially since im nursing still. I bought apples and a 4lb bag of oranges today, plus bananas. I did spend $5 on Brown rice pasta and i have never ate that before. well see how that tastes lol


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hi everyone and new here! I need help with Vegan recipes
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:43 pm 
Offline
Spent a night at the Bates Motel
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:31 pm
Posts: 2118
Location: detroit, mi
A lot of great suggestions here, just wanted to throw in a link to one of my favorite blogs, Fat Free Vegan: http://fatfreevegan.com
I know you mentioned you were interested in losing weight, and the FFV blog is amazing resource for healthy, flavorful, fat free recipes. Click on "beans and legumes" in the menu on the left hand side for some great cheap meals that are not reliant on soy products. I assure you, the vegan diet is as cheap as eating gets- dried beans, dried grains, seasonal vegetables, cheap cheap cheap.

_________________
I'm still buddhist & I still love cupcakes.
My crochet blog! http://threadbythreadzen.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hi everyone and new here! I need help with Vegan recipes
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:45 pm 
Offline
Because Bob Barker Told Me To
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:08 pm
Posts: 928
Location: PDX
I'm another soy fan. Weston Price is a cult-organization behind most of the false info on soy, regardless of where you're seeing it.

A better source of nutritional info can be found at Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine: http://www.pcrm.org/health/health-topics/. And their Kickstart program to help you with menu planning and to change your eating habits is amazing: http://support.pcrm.org/site/PageServer ... _kickstart.

Also, a cheap snack to replace chips is popcorn! Buy it in bags for popping on the stove rather than microwaving.
And avocado would have more calories than cheese, so I can't understand why you think it wouldn't be as filling? But serve it with a lot of Spanish or other seasoned brown rice and you will get full!

_________________
Formerly Kaleicious. I still love kale, but no more than lots of other garden greens too! Orach is currently my favorite.


Last edited by Jill on Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hi everyone and new here! I need help with Vegan recipes
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:48 pm 
Offline
Wears Pleather Undies

Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:22 pm
Posts: 21
enmommy wrote:
How do you go about making a menu plan and grocery list? It is going to be your best bet at keeping your budget in check. Make a menu for the week, then write out a list before going shopping. Try and plan meals around the grocery store sales. I don't buy certain things unless they are on sale. Every week we get oranges, bananas, and apples, but when grapes or melons are on sale we get those. Carrots, onions, broccoli, and celery tend to be cheaper all the time, so those get bought weekly too. I have a 2.5 year old and an almost 5 year old, and along with my husband, I usually shop for all our groceries, cleaning, and health/beauty for $100 a week or under. I don't buy meat, but I usually buy a tofu or tempeh which equals a pound of whatever meat I would have bought. Now for your husband, you could easily cook a vegan meal, then let him add some grilled chicken or ground beef if he wants too. Same for your kids if that is the route you want them to go. That way you are not spending money for two meals a day. Definitely get some quick and easy whole foods cookbooks. I like Isa's Appetite for Reduction, but there are a few others that seem easier and faster. There is a No-Queso Quesadilla recipe in The Vegan Table using hummus, scallions(green onions), and salsa. They are delicious and my husband loves them. Super fast, easy, and cheap.

Good luck!


I used to do that too. Im there like 3 hours trying to find Recipes online for 2 weeks and it never ends up working out! my husband is so picky. I mean in the most part he eats what i make with a exception with no tomatos, no artichokes. He hates all kinds of Lettuces unless its Raw Spinach. The problem is everything is expensive. If i make tortilla soup, lentil stew that means i need to buy two cans of each bean because i need the beans for my soup. which is like $1.29 a can. i also either buy frozen or canned corn. Depending on whats cheaper that day. Dh buys the huge 8lb ground beef thats in a long casing for like $4.99 to $8.00 depending if its on sale. two bags of corn tortillas. the produce here is expensive. 99 cents for one green bell pepper. The reds, yellow and orange ones are always $1.29 to $2.00 a piece. We totally do what you said. We buy the ground beef for hubby for 2 weeks plus two bags of cheese, soda and corn tortillas plus a few cans of those Herdez cans that has chopped spices and tomatos for his ground beef. He doesnt need chicken. He can live off rammen noodles and tacos. totally unhealthy...
my kids are always hungry. they want to eat more then i do. every 20 mins they come to me "im hungry" That is why we never have any food. these kids raid my pantry and fridge like nothing.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hi everyone and new here! I need help with Vegan recipes
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:52 pm 
Offline
Wears Pleather Undies

Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:22 pm
Posts: 21
LisaPunk wrote:
to be honest reading your restrictions and stuff i dont think the vegan part of your food shopping will be expensive AT ALL.

being a vegan can be really cheap or really expensive. it depends on your preferences and what you make of it. if you're like me and in your head you have convinced yourself you're an awesome vegan iron chef you'll be at whole foods all the time looking for weird obscure and very expensive ingredients. that adds up QUICK.

if you dont have silly delusions in your head about how awesome you are at making gourmet meals and eat "normal," vegan shopping *can* be cheap. the expensive stuff is all the stuff you said you cant eat. the meat analogs and processed vegan "stuff"

beans are like stoopidly cheap. also if you get dried beans and reconstitute them yourself they're even CHEAPER.
can you do rice? rice is cheap. you can buy a grain called quinoa in bulk (the kind that comes in a box is more expensive).

the expensive part of your shopping list is going to be your husband's stuff. meat and dairy are EXPENSIVE.
the only potential part of your vegan shopping list that might be expensive is the produce depending on what you want to buy. organic stuff is obviously more expensive. buying stuff thats in season can be cheaper. if you have any farmer's markets near you (lucky!) that can be cheaper too.


Lol your funny.. I totally think im a Awesome vegan cook.. Nah, If i lived near a whole foods we would be so broke, you have no idea lol. Im all for cheap foods but i hate the whole GMO at Markets. I tried making dried beans a few times and it came out disgusting. Never again! I made it a few times different ways from Youtube videos and it never came out the same. So i always end up throwing it away. Yep Beef, Dairy, Almond Milk and all produce are expensive here in California.
I always look at the prices. if its expensive im not buying it. I cant believe how expensive even frozen Fruits are. $10 for frozen blueberries or strawberries! I dont even own a Vitamix so im not going to be making smoothies.
I love Tortilla soup, Quinoa, brussels sprouts, asian foods with out tofu, mexican food, Indian food. American etc. I love all kinds of foods.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hi everyone and new here! I need help with Vegan recipes
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:53 pm 
Offline
Wears Pleather Undies

Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:22 pm
Posts: 21
enmommy wrote:
Also, I am not sure where you are from, but do you have an Aldi nearby? My husband and I drove to the nearest one once, and it is by far way cheaper then anything else. There processed stuff seems to have a lot more sodium then the brand names, but their produce and refridgerator section prices can't be beat. Too bad for us, it is not feasible for me to drive a half hour to Aldi, when I have a Meijer right down the road.


Oh no, we dont live near a Aldi... I live in Victorville, california. a hour and 30 mins from the beach of Southern cali... We have Stater brothers and Vons aka Safeway


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hi everyone and new here! I need help with Vegan recipes
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:57 pm 
Offline
Wears Pleather Undies

Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:22 pm
Posts: 21
karichelle wrote:
Aldi is great. Beans and canned veggies for 59 cents a can. Frozen veggies 89 and 99 cents a bag. 3 lb bags of apples for $2.49 this week. Same for a 3 lb bag of clementines. The key to not throwing it away is to EAT it! ;) I bet your kids will love the clementines. Aldi also has hummus, a lot of "accidentally vegan" crackers and breads, and snack foods. Their cereals can be frustrating if you are concerned with vitamin D sources. But they're great for produce and staples.

Also, I would encourage you to further investigate the soy issue and who funds the studies that say soy is bad. They have an industry to protect (dairy) and many of the researchers are heavily funded by grants from the dairy industry. Soy isn't evil. It's just a bean.


Well on a website it says the bad is that you have heard about soy probably stems from its high concentration of phytoestrogen, a molecule which is molecularly similar to the body’s own estrogen. High estrogen levels are linked with breast cancer, and the science is still incomplete if plant-sources of estrogen may be linked with increased cancer risk.

My mom got Breast cancer when i was 12/13 years old (6th Grade) she was in her 30's... Heart problems run in my Dh side and my Side... I stay away from anything that may cause cancer like Birth control pills, chemicals, Vaccinations etc... I know i may be a little crazy but i rather stay away from anything like that. i was using Silk Soy creamer for coffee but now im not. I do not have a Alid, i have Vons and Stater brothers. Stater brothers like like super expensive but in a bad sense. A ton of un healthy food over priced and its more like a food for less or wincos.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hi everyone and new here! I need help with Vegan recipes
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:59 pm 
Offline
Kitchens Planning Manchester
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:15 pm
Posts: 2553
I don't think you're going to be able to cut down your costs if you don't learn how to cook dried beans and cut out the meat for your husband. Also I think meal planning is great but you have to be flexible--if a recipe calls for bell peppers, use a different vegetable because bell peppers are ridiculously expensive. Choose a few vegetables for the week (a bag of carrots and a head of cabbage) and use them in all your meals that week.

_________________
"No one with hair so soft and glossy could ever be bad at anything." - Tofulish


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hi everyone and new here! I need help with Vegan recipes
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:03 pm 
Offline
Wears Pleather Undies

Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:22 pm
Posts: 21
linanil wrote:
Yeah, I love soy, especially tofu but there are also vegans that are allergic to soy, they do fine. I've read quite a bit of soy research and from what I've read, it doesn't match up to the many negative claims. Even people with thyroid issues have been cleared by their doctors to eat soy but there is some concern about eating soy and taking thyroid medication within a couple hours of eachother. I mean grapefruit is one thing I know that messes up with a lot of medication, I love grapefruit but don't eat it due to medication but you don't hear people talking about the evils of grapefruit.


I dont know if i am allergic to soy but i know when i eat bread, cereals, pastries etc i bloat up, i get acne, im tired, sleepy. My Middle child is on a Gluten and dairy free diet. I hate Tofu, i tried a few different brands. I looked up Recipes on how to cook it and with what and i couldnt stomach it. Neither could the kids. We tried the Gardein meatless foods and my husband spit out the food. I couldnt eat it either. The only thing i ever liked was Meatless meatballs from Trader joes. But im sure its made in a facility of wheat.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer