| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Hi everyone and new here! I need help with Vegan recipes
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:20 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

karichelle wrote:
Vegan on the Cheap is a good cookbook that might be helpful.

i was going to suggest this too! i dont actually own it but if you want some feedback on it go into the "cookbooks" forum and click on the thread that is called something like "the great big index of vegan cookbooks" and scroll down to the letter V and click on the link!

if you dont like soy you dont like soy. i do find taste buds change but i still find myself struggling with tempeh. i just dont like it.

for beans if you've had bad luck with dried i do suggest continuing to try but if it just aint working look for the generic brands of beans at the grocery store. sometimes they are on sale. sometimes where i live the Stop & Shop (large grocery chain) brand are on sale for 88 cents a can.

i think part of the "issue" (and i hestitate to call it an issue but i cant think of a better word) is that your breastfeeding so your nutritional needs are way higher than if you're not. that's probably why you are always hungry.

maybe someone here who is currently or has in the past breastfed as a vegan can suggest some snacks that helped keep them full and were good nutrition? i know right now im pregnant and sometimes i struggle to make sure everything i eat has actual nutritional value so im not just eating crepe when im hungry. never before in my life did i ever have issues eating but for some reason ive struggled with eating since being pregnant. (i think my issue is acid reflux though)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:50 am 
WRETCHED

karichelle wrote:
Vegan on the Cheap is a good cookbook that might be helpful.

That and "Supermarket Vegan" are my two usual recommendations. Supermarket vegan consists of recipes that you can make with ingredients from your standard supermarket.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:23 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Ariann & strawberryrock in particular have some really good advice. Can I add some ideas for building your confidence in cooking dried beans? As linanil (I think) said the bulk from the Mexican market is usually fresher, which leads to better cooking. Soak the beans overnight. Give yourself plenty of time to cook them. I mean seriously, start cooking them 24 hours before you want to use them in a recipe. That is rediculous, BUT it will keep you from freaking out when they're not done in two hours. If you have a crockpot, cook them in that, in not med-low heat on the stovetop. Check for tenderness every hour or so. Also, for starters, cook them in plain water with a pinch of baking soda. Don't put any salt or acids (like tomatoes) in until they are soft. Some means (kidney, I'm looking at you) are more sensitive to this stuff than others. Once you've done this a few times, you should feel like, hey I can cook dried beans! And then it doesn't have to be as big of a production.
People are insisting on dried beans because they are SUCH a game changer when you are broke. You can make soups, dips, salads, burgers, meatless balls and loaves, beans and rice, chili, etc. for literally well less than a dollar a serving. Also, a couple more things you can make without bean cooking: falafel (traditional recipes call for soaking then grinding the chickpeas, never actually boiling them) and anything split pea.
We're always pretty thrift at my house, but not quite so much as in the past. When we moved a few years ago, we were living on savings, so we only ate pantry staples. Some stuff we made that has not been mentioned:
Homemade rice milk
Polenta
Homemade corn tortillas (and chips!)
Tamales
Pb & oatmeal
Fruit crumble with any sad/bruised fruit (using oatmeal)
Split pea soup
Also, carrots and cabbage are almost always the veggies. They're good in stew, soup, stirfry, in slaw (for tacos!) plus a million other things. Also with the cabbage and some potatoes you can make colcannon (essentially mashed potatoes with greens). That is my ultimate cheap, filling comfort food.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:26 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Also, I imagine that since you are, as you say, in the middle of nowhere, your library might not have tons of vegan cookbooks. But you can check to see if your library does interlibrary loan. It opens up a whole new world of options.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:41 am 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

Kelly wrote:
strawberryrock wrote:
I don't know if this will be helpful or not, but I wrote this blog entry a little while back about how I eat super cheaply
http://maeveconnor.com/2012/11/04/eating-on-the-cheap/

This is really great! I'm really glad I read that because I totally needed those reminders <3

Yeah, this was a great post! I do the soup thing all the time, but I haven't tried my hand at bowls. Bowls should probably be a staple in my house.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:33 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I have a good Top Ramon Oriental Noodle recipe, but it was once using ground beef, so now it is made with rehydrated TVP. My husband who loved it with beef gave it a thumbs up with the TVP.

2 pkg oriental ramon noodles, break up in the bag
1 cup TVP
1 16oz bag of frozen Parisian style veggies (calls for oriental, but this is what my store has)

-Rehydrate TVP, then mix with one packet of ramon season mix, set aside.
-Cook frozen veggies with 2 cups of water, the second season mix, and a shake or two of powdered ginger. All liquid will absorb or cook off.
-Combine.

Not super healthy, but it is super easy and cheap. We make it every once and awhile and everyone eats it up. Who can resist ramon noodles, really???

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:02 pm 
Nailed to the V

I'm totally not meaning to troll, but I'm reading this thread in Lumpy Space Princess's voice.

also, great suggestions everyone.