| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: First whole day alone with the baby!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:04 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I don't know how I've managed not to be left alone with the baby since he was born more than a year ago, but somehow I did it! (Mostly I think I took the big one out and about and spent more time with him.)

He has an ear infection (again) which has spread and become pinkeye. I'm guessing I'll have pinkeye soon too. Hooray for that.

We're having a pretty nice time, though. Unlike the boy ("The Emperor," in case you haven't connect those dots with C&S's posts yet) the little one is pretty self-directed and will play cheerfully on his own. I pretty much have to hang out being on baby suicide watch and making sure he doesn't pull the curtains down or anything. Every so often I go poke him a bit or he comes up for a hug or to insist I wear a fireman's hat or show him the pictures and read from a book about babies.

It's pretty nice. He's cute and funny and smiles a lot. I'm having a good time, and it's about naptime for pudgers, so with any luck I can do a bit of work from home in a bit. For now, hugs.

I also keep thinking about a blog post I read by some father who took his baby to the store and had a woman come up and say, "Oh my, you're so brave, taking the baby to the store alone!" Come ON. This isn't that hard. Even with the boy, it wasn't that hard. It takes juggling, but I spend most of my time coming up with processes and planning for limited resources, so it's nothing particularly new. It's just that now, instead of planning how to deploy software with minimal user impact, I'm just planning how to move stuff from the shopping cart to the car and get the cart back to the dropoff with minimal baby annoyance. It's not so different. Often the baby is better company than a whiny undergrad who can't get to Facebook for two minutes while the DHCP server reboots.

Post subject: Re: Baby & Kid Updates Thread
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:09 pm 
Semen Strong

Sounds like a wonderful day! Sounds like the Magician is a very happy baby despite the ear infection and pinkeye (holy YIKES!). I didn't even realize the two were related.

Naptime for pudgers sounds like an excellent short film.

Post subject: Re: First whole day alone with the baby!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:12 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

that whole damn post made me grin ear to ear.

baby suicide watch! im dying laughing.

sounds like you guys had a great day.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:12 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

It's all bacterial infections of different bits, I guess? We have one prescription for oral antibiotics that should clear them both up. Of course, this means it's time to stock up on diapers and wipes since last time around it was all diarrhea all the time for a week and a half. I stopped this morning and picked up like 15 cups of yogurt, too...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:44 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

hahah excellent post! (especially the last bit about the baby being better company!)
also yeah I know you've taken the Emperor on trips by yourself and stuff but people really do seem AMAZED that a father can even take a kid to the store. My partner regularly gets people commenting "oh wow a DADDY taking his kids out alone, your wife must be so happy!" and he's all "puh-lease, I do this every.damn.day."

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:46 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Awesome! I love your post. And your attitude.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:47 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I KNOW. It's pretty strange. I like to go poke around places with the boy-- he's pretty good company in general, even if he does get whiny when he's tired.

I just got the baby to sleep. Time to play video games work from home a bit.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:38 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

solipsistnation wrote:
I don't know how I've managed not to be left alone with the baby since he was born more than a year ago, but somehow I did it! (Mostly I think I took the big one out and about and spent more time with him.)
I pretty much have to hang out being on baby suicide watch and making sure he doesn't pull the curtains down or anything.

My husband did that -- mostly took Beetroot out while I hung out with wee Raygold. But once Beetroot turns 5, the bus isn't free anymore, so my husband says he'll start taking Raygold out instead (unless he uses a day-tripper ticket, because then up to 2 kids (4 if you get the 2-adult version) between the ages of 5 and 15 are free).

Also, I'm loling out loud at baby suicide watch because that's exactly what it is when they mostly want to play by themselves! XD

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:44 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Yes! Baby suicide watch! I was looking for a term to describe what is going on at my house now and that is it!!!
I hope the antibiotics kick in soon (for the bad bacteria and not the gut bacteria so much) and that you don't get the nasty pinkeye!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:27 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Hey moms! Why aren't you posting about your first day alone with your babies??? Haha. I'm kidding. Glad it went well, solips.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:05 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Kelly wrote:
Hey moms! Why aren't you posting about your first day alone with your babies??? Haha. I'm kidding. Glad it went well, solips.

They don't have time, they're too busy taking care of all their in-laws and other visitors! XD

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:12 am 
Married to the wolfman

And now you know the secret of why I always send you out with E. Rats!

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:24 am 
Bathes in Braggs

i want people to congratulate me when i take both my kids out at once. i feel like i deserve a medal at the end of it! maybe because i'm not naturally an organized person, and the one thing that makes outings with little kids and babies successful is being super prepared and organized and on top of things the whole time. it fries my brain!

mr bird has figured out that staying home with lydia is way way easier and less work than staying home with tzipi or taking either of them out. so now he always volunteers to stay home with the baby.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:32 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

TheCrabbyCrafter wrote:
Kelly wrote:

They don't have time, they're too busy taking care of all their in-laws and other visitors! XD

I'm nearing on 2 full months of in-laws. Don't know whether to laugh or cry.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:42 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Kelly wrote:
TheCrabbyCrafter wrote:
Kelly wrote:

You must be a saint, do you have a small home?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:47 am 
Married to the wolfman

Heh. I don't feel like being out of the house with both of them is generally that hard, because E is always at his most manageable out in public. (If he's being a twit out of the house, I dread taking him home because home seems to be his safe space to just flip out.) But the act of getting them both ready and out of the house at the same time is a feat I do sometimes think someone ought to be shaking my hand about.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:51 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Kelly wrote:
TheCrabbyCrafter wrote:
Kelly wrote:

OMG, I would be on suicide watch. Or in the looney bin.

coldandsleepy wrote:
Heh. I don't feel like being out of the house with both of them is generally that hard, because E is always at his most manageable out in public. (If he's being a twit out of the house, I dread taking him home because home seems to be his safe space to just flip out.) But the act of getting them both ready and out of the house at the same time is a feat I do sometimes think someone ought to be shaking my hand about.

Beetroot is the same way -- so sweet and polite and well-behaved in public. You'd never know he likes climbing onto the mantlepiece in his spare time.
And getting them both ready to go out is definitely no small feat! It's harder to do that than to get them ready for bed. :D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:19 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

Kelly wrote:

hahah I thought about posting something to that effect but to be honest, I don't think I've had a whole day alone with my 9month old yet! and I've had maybe 2 ever with Dahlia. Their papa just is a mega-homebody I guess.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:25 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Audrey wrote:
Kelly wrote:

hahah I thought about posting something to that effect but to be honest, I don't think I've had a whole day alone with my 9month old yet! and I've had maybe 2 ever with Dahlia. Their papa just is a mega-homebody I guess.

actually, now that i think of it, i probably did post about my first day alone with tzipi after my mom left and my partner went back to work. that was a long kind of scary day!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:42 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

C&S pointed out that by the time E was a year old, I hadn't spent more than a few hours alone with him... That's quite strange, but he was a very different baby, and our situation then was pretty different. We could have done a lot of things differently back then.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:51 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

solipsistnation wrote:
C&S pointed out that by the time E was a year old, I hadn't spent more than a few hours alone with him... That's quite strange, but he was a very different baby, and our situation then was pretty different. We could have done a lot of things differently back then.

actually, i think about this a lot. i don't know if it's similar to your situation, but i am really quite amazed at how different our childcare hours break down now, 3 years later, versus when tzipi was first born. she was quite a few months old before he had her on his own for any length of time, and now i'm not sure what the big deal was! he's definitely spent more time with tzipi one on one in the last year than i have...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:59 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I think it's pretty common. And in general terms, part of it is that first time fathers, MUCH more so than mothers, are told they don't know shiitake about babies. Babies are terrifying if you don't know what to do with them! I remember feeling like shiitake because new mothers are told exactly the opposite-- mothering is such a natural instinctual thing, you'll know what to do! In my opinion, no one who hasn't cared for a young infant knows that much, it's a lot of trial and error to figure it out, but dads often aren't even given a chance to do that work. And I know it was definitely a process for me personally to be able to let go of what I ultimately felt was "my" responsibility, making sure things were "done right", and let them figure out how they work together.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:37 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I would be lying if I said I don't give pause when faced with the prospect of spending the whole day alone with babynut. I have done it many times, but it's not our usual routine, and I would rather have some co-parenting time built in. I don't remember the very first time I had her alone for the day, but I certainly remember some of the first times and how hard it was.

I do remember the first time my partner went out of town and we were alone for the weekend. I was so excited to have two successful bedtimes that I prattled on and on about it. I guess I'm still talking about it!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:50 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Ha, yes. When C&S is at school, I get both kids from daycare and take them home, feed them dinner, read them books (or uh let the boy watch a show-- either Mighty Machines or My Little Pony) and get the boy into bed and get the baby to sleep. Then C&S gets home around 9:30 or 10. I was TERRIFIED the first time, but now I have it down to a military-grade operation:

5:45 Retrieval
5:55 Transport
6:05 Unloading and deployment to living room
6:15 Preparation of meal
6:30 Serving of meal
6:45 30 minutes light entertainment (television or book)
7:15 Dressing for bedtime
7:20 Brushing of teeth
7:30 Bedtime and songs
7:45 Baby music/sleepy time
8:15 Portioning of nightly whiskey ration
8:20 Engagement in video games

7:45 and on gets flexible depending on the baby's mood, but usually that's about how it works out.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:33 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

solipsistnation wrote:
8:15 Portioning of nightly whiskey ration
8:20 Engagement in video games

i feel these 2 are potentially linked..... ;-)