| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dealing with School
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:25 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

So this is sort of a continuation from the old board. My son is struggling in school something terrible. But the counselor is just full of excuses as to why it is all his fault. I know that he is at fault on certain things and believe me when I say, I am on it.

But the last two days have just been horrible. She called him out of class and he was marked absent. I don't understand how that happens. And I don't understand how, when I ask for details, she said something unrelated. She is full of excuses and I am so tired of it.

I could pull him out, but that is not at all what he wants. He loves the program he is in and it is so good for him.

What I really need are ways to hold the school accountable for their blatant errors. Any suggestions? I have already demanded e-mail communication sot that I have a record of everything in their own words.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

Post subject: Re: Dealing with School
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:50 pm 
Grandfathered In

What difference does it make if it's your kid's "fault," whatever that would mean in this circumstance?

Fine, it's the kid's fault. Now, how are you going to help him?

(You, the school. Not you, the mom.)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:49 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Ugh, how frustrating for you!! I'm sorry to hear about that.

I think you're doing a good thing by keeping track of emails. Is there someone above her you can talk to, or maybe even a different counselor?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:58 pm 
Nailed to the V

At this point I would go above her and seek out her supervisor. I would also request his complete school record including whatever notes she has put in there. You are entitled to those records, and you are entitled to written communication from them about what is going on at school. If your son is having problems at school, it's not all on your shoulders to fix them, they need to be helping too.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:00 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

What about not pulling him out but giving him a break for a day or two, until you can figure everything out? I know this wouldn't be ideal but a child I know was in the same situation a few weeks ago and it worked for her.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:42 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

I heard back from her about clarifying and her story does not match my son's. So I am going to the school tomorrow and telling the principal this is no longer okay. I was a bit of a bisque in the email. Stating that the continued cover up is over. This is two and a half years. Would I be out of line to demand they just graduate him with honors as it does not seem that they actually care.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:17 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Hugs, this sounds like an awfully frustrating situation to be in. I hope the principal can help you tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:55 pm 
Grandfathered In

My current school gripe:

The district's website says there IS school this Monday and Tuesday, but the principal said yesterday there is not. So I've made no plans for GG. I'm not comfortable taking off work with such short notice.

This is not wonderful.

(Mrs. Face has been out of town dealing with a family crisis for more than a week.)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:25 pm 

I think going the principal is absolutely the right thing,kfad. i hope he gets it. and if your son is an honors student, he deserves to graduate with honors- even if he was (and i don't think he was) difficult.

Footface- that is superfrustrating. perhaps the prinicipal is hoping for no kids so s/he can go home early??

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:50 am 
Grandfathered In

jildez wrote:
I think going the principal is absolutely the right thing,kfad. i hope he gets it. and if your son is an honors student, he deserves to graduate with honors- even if he was (and i don't think he was) difficult.

Footface- that is superfrustrating. perhaps the prinicipal is hoping for no kids so s/he can go home early??

Nah, just some miscommunication. Elementary schools have some parent/teacher conferences scheduled those days. This wasn't reflected in the official calendar.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:44 am 
Seagull of the PPK

kfad, I was thinking of you these days- just this morning i finalized my daughter's matriculation for her to start in a new school as of February (our new school year). Her current school has been one administrative fuckup after another, plus several real no-think hair-raising events (halloween party in the wooden school buildings with no lights, only candles, and only one teacher to supervise 50 pre-teens just dying to either make out or set each other on fire, or maybe both; 20 kids crammed into a 14-seat school bus to go on a field trip; my child being "lost" for a few hours during which the director yelled at me and told me "it's not our responsibility to know where your kid is". Um, during school hours, it actually is.). So I was relieved to finalize her spot at the new school.
No ideas for you, but have been thinking of you. Keep up the good fight.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:54 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

I went to the school on Friday and demanded to talk to the Principal, but she was out. So I talked to an assistant principal. It went well. I said I did not feel as though the school had participated in his education. And it was time for the teachers to be brought in, in a more active manner. She brought in a mentor, and then she e-mailed the teachers.
Not a single teacher has responded. And they have a week before I contact them in a less polite manner.
But now they know that I am not happy, and I do feel that they are not doing their part.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:50 am 

kfad, i think you are being really kind to give these teachers a week- honestly with thanksgiving, i would go ahead and call the asst principal and say you would like a meeting with them and the principal when school comes back into session if you haven't heard anything tomorrow. this time of year is such that i wouldn't be surprised if some are hoping your concerns will go by the wayside once things get busy.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:36 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

I never did hear. And I got the grading sheet that goes out to all parents for all classes. Seems his math class is missing.
Emails were sent this morning and phone calls will be made as soon as the office opens.
So far I am so happy with the effort they are making. /sarcasm.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:36 pm 

arghh for you kfad- it is so frustrating to have to babysit the school. hoping they get straight and you don't have to start battling with them.