| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Toddlers, scooters, helmets
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:19 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Okay, my partner bought babynut a scooter. She was 16 months old at the time. He wants her to have one because she keeps stealing ones at the playground and taking off scooting. Scooters are extremely popular in our neighborhood so she sees kids using them all the time and they are parked everywhere inside the playgrounds we visit. Also, I think this is important for my partner because he struggles with being quite uncoordinated and he is very proud of her skills. I am afraid of her using a scooter before she can understand the importance and act on commands like STOP. She doesn't have any real comprehension of danger from cars, hurting others, etc. It just seems too early for me to feel comfortable. We put it in the closet for a month.

Since she is scooting (albeit illicitly), I want her to do it as safely as possible. I did some research on scooters and found an attachment for the one he bought that makes it more appropriate for her. We agreed that she could start using it with the attachment and wearing a helmet. We got the helmet today and guess what? She won't wear it. Screaming, tears, arched back instantly. I've been wearing my helmet all afternoon but she is not impressed. She also sees me put on my helmet every morning (I commute by bike).

Now what? She doesn't understand that you have to wear the helmet to ride the scooter like an older kid would. I'm inclined to put the scooter back in the closet. My partner wants to start letting her use it without the helmet. He says that she is really slow and he will be hovering.

Am I being over protective? How do you get a toddler to wear a helmet? How old was your kidlet when they started using a scooter?

Post subject: Re: Toddlers, scooters, helmets
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:25 pm 
Semen Strong

Leela also steals scooters and loves them, so I will be following this thread with interest. Could you share your research links and show me the attachment if you don't mind? So far I just let her steal them and use them in the confined play area, but our days of not-scooting are numbered.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:36 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Are these like scooters that you stand on? Or the ride-on kind? Either way, I'd absolutely make my kid where a helmet. Inez has a balance bike and she doesn't get to ride it without her helmet on. I feel like it would just be confusing and a battle later on to insist that NOW she has to wear one when before she didn't. And I think it's good to just get in the habit of bike/scooter/skates/whatever = helmet, no exceptions.

Unfortunately, my husband accidentally pinched Inez's chin with the helmet buckle right after we got the bike and since then she freaks out at the thought of wearing it. But she wants to ride her bike, so we're just holding fast and hoping that eventually the desire to ride outweighs the fear of the helmet.

My only suggestion would be to let Babynut play with the helmet (maybe put it on a toy or decorate it with stickers or something?) and get familiar with it. And enthusiastically point out scooter riders wearing helmets. Inez picked her own helmet out at the store and was a big fan of it right up until Pinchageddon 2013. Ugh.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:32 pm 

She steals the kind that you stand up to ride. The attachment we got allows for the toddler to sit, then stand with a lower height handle, and finally use the scooter at full height.

This is the scooter he bought. It's really for 3-5 year olds:

http://www.kickboardusa.com/mini

This is the attachment:
http://www.kickboardusa.com/mini-seat-o ... t-included

You can buy the scooter with the attachment bundled, but then you only get to choose pink or blue (BLAH! Different rant)

These are a few of the links I looked at. I quickly realized that three wheels would be the way to go.
http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv ... and_safety
http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/healthli ... 85,P00818/
http://eleanorswords.hubpages.com/hub/a ... o-year-old

I really wanted to get her a Nutcase helmet because they are so cute, but some reviews convinced me otherwise. Now that she won't wear one at all, maybe a cute one with a shiitake rating is better than nothing?
http://bikeportland.org/2012/05/31/nutc ... orts-72616

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:13 pm 
Nooch of Earl

We have a baby bicycle seat on my husband's bike for V and she has a little helmet. The first time she fought it really hard but once she got going on the bike she forgot about the helmet, and since then she's associated it with something fun (bike riding!) that only happens with a helmet, so now she's thrilled to see it come out. Sooo...maybe fighting past the tears once might pave the way to an easier future?

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:44 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

to me, it's like sitting in the car seat. it's just not an option to go without. make it really clear, head out to the park, get out the scooter, and put the helmet on. if she refuses, pack up the scooter and head over to the swings (or home). she will get it pretty quick. absolutely do not back down. not because toddlers on scooters are inherently dangerous, but kids on two wheelers are, and you want good habits now.

tzipi had similar feelings about the helmet the first few times. and she would often test that boundary every few weeks. this summer she hasn't complained once about the helmet, and she goes and gets it herself when we head out to the park to ride our bikes.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:56 am 
Seagull of the PPK

littlebird wrote:
to me, it's like sitting in the car seat. it's just not an option to go without. make it really clear, head out to the park, get out the scooter, and put the helmet on. if she refuses, pack up the scooter and head over to the swings (or home). she will get it pretty quick. absolutely do not back down. not because toddlers on scooters are inherently dangerous, but kids on two wheelers are, and you want good habits now.

tzipi had similar feelings about the helmet the first few times. and she would often test that boundary every few weeks. this summer she hasn't complained once about the helmet, and she goes and gets it herself when we head out to the park to ride our bikes.

i agree with this 100%. this is the first of many, many challenges of this nature. it is a kid's prerogative to push the boundaries. if she finds that the boundaries fall with the first push, that's a lesson you're teaching.
When she refuses, no judgment, no anger. Its like to turn on the car, you need to turn the key. No option not to, and no reason to get upset about it. If she fusses, just leave the helmet somewhere she can get it herself and walk away, no response. I also think she'll come around quickly.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 6:00 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Yep I agree with everyone else. Kai has a balance bike and we make him wear a helmet. At first I tried it on inside to get the straps to fit right, and he screamed his head off. But then I made sure to only put it on once he was outside about to get on his bike, and he was ok with it. That was last summer, now this spring he is asking for the helmet and has no problem wearing it.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:22 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

ok I'm going to be honest and say that:

we got D one of the mini-kick scooters when she was around 2. She never really took to it - will sometimes ride it for a few minutes in this empty basketball court near us, but that's about it. We don't make her wear a helmet for this but if she were to suddenly get very in to scooting as a means of transport or even for extensive amount of time at the park, we probably would. Likewise, she has a tricycle (one of those red Radio Flyer ones) and pretty much only rides it either around the block or on this one path in a park we go to once a month and we don't make her wear a helmet for this.
However, when she was smaller H had a seat on his big giant bike for her in the front and she wore a helmet, and just now we've gotten a bigger seat for the back of his bike and she'll be wearing a helmet for this as well as the new big-girl bike we just got her.

I guess I'm saying that we haven't been consistent about the helmet thing but intend to in the future because she is riding a bigger bike. And I'm sorry that doesn't help you Butternut but I kinda feel like until she is doing daredevil tricks, riding the scooter everywhere at top speed etc., that a helmet isn't that big a deal in this instance. Just my opinion.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:46 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

We are exactly the same as Audrey.

We have basically the same scooter for Miles who will be 2 soon. We also have a helmet for him and honestly never use it. At 2 he's not on it long enough, going fast enough or riding it in the street where he can get hit by a car for me to warrant putting it on and then having to carry it around when he's done with it. Like Audrey we have a Radio Flyer tricycle that was Reno's and she never wore the helmet while riding it. On her regular bike she does wear a helmet as would Miles if he was on the back of our bike or on a big boy bike.

He is far more dangerous doing other things that don't require a helmet at this age so I'm comfortable with our decisions on this.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:31 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Malka doesn't wear her helmet on her Radio Flyer trike. For one thing, she can't actually make it go yet (barely reaches pedals, doesn't understand how to make them work), but for another, falling off it it would be a less big deal than falling while running. From watching all our neighbors' kids, it seems that making a distinction between trikes and bikes is the norm. Trikes = no helmet, bikes = helmet. Scooters are not prevalent enough in our neighborhood for me to make any generalization, but I haven't seen any kids wearing helmets on them yet. I don't know what we'll do when she gets her own scooter, but she's become pretty adept at stealing other kids' and riding them around the playground.

She also rides on my husband's bike all over the place, and we are of course insistent about her wearing the helmet then.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:08 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I find when they get their own scooters after stealing all the scooters and the playground they aren't much interested in them anymore. :)

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:11 pm 
Semen Strong

JENNA wrote:
I find when they get their own scooters after stealing all the scooters and the playground they aren't much interested in them anymore. :)

::SNORT::

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 8:36 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

The trikes vs. bikes rule makes sense to me, so I'm not trying to make you feel bad or anything.
But I will say just last night Kai was riding his friend's radio flyer tricycle at the park and within 2 minutes he managed to tip the thing over on it's side and fall off sideways. (I think he made a too sharp turn) He was fine, but, we were all glad he was wearing a helmet just in case.

I've always been on the permissive side with letting him climb and stuff. But it has amazed me several times how something that seems completely harmless can suddenly hurt a toddler. Like one time he was climbing on an upside down plastic container, not even a high one, just a long flat one - and just seemingly for no reason suddenly fell off and twisted his leg.

I guess that just goes to show it is true they can hurt themselves doing anything, and can't wear a helmet all the time. But, I still feel better with him wearing a helmet while riding things outside, especially since it is usually on pavement and he can get up a bit of speed.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 10:23 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Aubade wrote:
I guess that just goes to show it is true they can hurt themselves doing anything, and can't wear a helmet all the time. But, I still feel better with him wearing a helmet while riding things outside, especially since it is usually on pavement and he can get up a bit of speed.

Once kids get up to speed on anything a helmet goes on wether they like it or not. If they don't like the helmet then they don't ride.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 2:50 pm 

Thanks for the I input everyone.

I think we are going to wait until she picks up speed to force her to wear the helmet.