| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Converting a 4 year old
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:46 pm 
Tofu Pup

Any tips for converting my 4 year old son to veganism?

I just recently converted myself, so I am pretty new, but I love it so far. Now I am thinking is a good time to slowly start converting my son to a vegan diet as well. Problem is, he goes to daycare full time.

What I was considering doing was one day next week, (probably Monday) I will send his lunch with him to daycare. I will include snacks and breakfast. He already drinks soymilk, so that isn't a problem, but having him eat something different then everybody else will be a new experience to him.

I have explained to him that we don't eat meat anymore because we don't want to eat animals and meat comes from animals, and he seems to accept that. But I don't think he understands that the meatloaf and chicken he eats at daycare comes from animals.

So any advice on how to make this transition would be greatly appreciated. For me it is more of an ethical choice and secondly a health choice. Also, advice on how to handle the daycare as well.

Post subject: Re: Converting a 4 year old
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:17 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I would take it slowly. A big, immediate change might be really difficult for a 4 year old. Maybe just replace a few things at a time and let him be as involved as possible?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:56 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I agree - take it slow! Him feeling deprived could make the transition negative rather than exciting. I would approach it like, "yay! We're trying all this new stuff! It's good for our bodies, the animals, and the earth!" Also, does the daycare have a veg option? If they're USDA funded they should if anyone requests it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:14 pm 
Tofu Pup

Yes, they do have a veg option, but it is one of those situations where they just replace the meat with cheese. I don't allow them to give him dairy because when he was younger he had an allergy. Since their "veg" option is pretty much only grilled cheese sandwiches and mac n cheese, I don't think that is possible.

You are right though, take it slow! I am bothered because I looked at their menu, tomorrow they are having cheese burgers. Yuk! Even before I went vegan I wasn't eating beef because it tastes horrible to me.

I am thinking that I may wait to start sending food to daycare until he gets used to the new diet we are eating here at home. But I think I will talk to the director and see what their policy is on packing his lunch.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:57 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

It might be a ton of work for you, but if you get the menu in advance, maybe you could try to match his lunch to theirs so he doesn't feel left out? Like sending chik'n nuggets on the day they're eating nuggets.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:25 am 
Nailed to the V

Are there any other kids in the daycare with special diets? Allergies, religious reasons etc. That would probably make it easier. Is it possible to explain to him where "normal" food comes from and let him choose for himself, or is it too early?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:05 am 
Chip Strong

As a suggestion, could a visit to a farm sanctuary or something be useful for him? Even if it's just something you do further down the line, it may help to meet some of the animals involved, or even adopt one. I think encouraging a child's natural fondness for animals can do wonders in changing their attitudes to animals.