| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Baby signing
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:37 pm 
A gift from the crasshole god.

For some reason, maybe because I don't have a baby or know anyone with a baby, I thought this was going to be about signing babies, with autographs or stuff. Now that I am typing it out I don't think that is a thing (I was maybe thinking about politicians kissing babies?) and I am not sure what the discussion could possibly have been about, but there you go.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:13 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

signing babies to record contracts

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:53 pm 
Semen Strong

My kid is covered in markers thanks to this thread.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:25 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

Hey oncewerewesties, I'm in NZ too. Our baby is only 2 months, but I want to start signing with her too. How are you going with your one? Have you found any good resources?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:06 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Awesome! Are you in Auckland? We are actually doing a one-off in-home session with these guys: http://www.signarainbownz.com/, and I also downloaded a 'dictionary' of slightly baby-modified NZSL signs from here: http://www.babytalk.co.nz/

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:09 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

my husband noticed Charlotte has been making the "milk" sign!!
i was really surprised cause she's only 8 months!
i guess it could be coincidence but we've seen her do it several times right around when it was time to nurse and/or she was getting cranky because she was hungry.

kinda cool!

what sign do you guys use to teach them to communicate that they need their diaper changed? do you just use the diaper sign?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:12 pm 
Semen Strong

Yay Charlotte!

I found "dirty" or "wet" easier for L to do than "diaper", which requires a bit more coordination. But really whatever you do is fine as long as she gets it!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:56 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Wow! Good job babypunk!
We meant to do signing and then didn't - but now that we have a non-speaking 17 month old that is having tantrums because he can't communicate we are just starting to try. We are starting with "more"...I hope he picks up on it quickly!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:24 am 
Semen Strong

Good luck with signing annasrobbie! I am sure he will pick it up fast and I hope that it brings you all a reduction in frustration and tantrums!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:46 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

anna..I bet Giles will pick up signs quickly once he figures out that it's a way to communicate with you! Good luck. :)

We used the "finger pinch" (sorta like diaper pins) sign for nappy and F couldn't really do the finger motions, but she would place her hands in the right position, so it was easy enough to figure it out.

We don't really sign at all anymore, except when looking at the baby sign book we have, but then today, out of nowhere, she signed "thank you" to our bus driver. Took me by surprise!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:16 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

His first sign! I prompted him at dinner if he wanted MORE? banana and he did his little sign! How exciting.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:20 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

nice! sounds like it's working already! :-D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:57 pm 

Yay! The first sign is a wonderful moment..recognition that you haven't just been fiddling around with your fingers all that time. :p

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:07 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

when did everyone's babies start to do signs back to you?

BabyPunk turns eleven months today and she has been a master of the milk sign for months now but other than that nothing yet.
i dont have the book anymore (borrowed it from the library) but i feel like 10-11 months was the time when most kids start doing a couple signs?

we've been doing the "eat" sign for a long time but she does not actually like to eat solid food so im not all that surprised she doesnt do the sign. we do "diaper" which may be a bit advanced for her age but we also do "book" and i just introduced "drink" because she will drink out of a sippy cup

we do "mama" and "dada" sporadically as im not 100% sure how to explain it to her. sometimes im just like "im mama" and i point to me and then do the sign
we've done "more" a few times but since she doesnt eat there isnt much use for the more sign

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:20 pm 

I think a lot of times, there tends to be an explosion, just the same as with oral language. At a year, I seem to remember F not doing more than about 6 signs maybe? Looking at my list from the first post in the thread (when F was about 16 months), that seems about right. Remember too, that, just like spoken language, her receptive language might be ahead of what she can sign back to you. So, definitely worth keeping on! On mama/dada, we just used it a lot in conversation, talking about pappa coming home from work or whether she wanted to come to mommy or pappa or even "can you give xyz to pappa", etc. She didn't sign "mommy" for like forever, but pappa was a favorite (one she still uses sometimes even now!)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:03 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i probably dont give her enough credit for what she can understand. i will try the mama and dada signs more conversationally.
i always feel like i need to explain things but she probably understands way more than i realize.

we tried the "dog" sign for awhile since we have 2 dogs but it's hard to do if youre sitting or she isnt looking down at your hips where you do the sign.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:16 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Westiebaby's signing explosion was after her first birthday, I was still using signs but beginning to think she was going to go straight to talking then all of a sudden she was using a new one almost every day.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:58 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

you guys were right about the language explosion. BP got the sign for "milk" REALLY early. like 7-8 months and I was flabbergasted. then nothing..........for months and months and months.
she seemed to understand the signs i was doing but never made any signs back other than milk and she even dropped that one for awhile.

then literally like a day or so ago she has done like 4 new signs.
if you say the word "more" she will do the sign though im not sure she understands what "more" actually means but she knows what sign goes with the word.
my husband showed her "dog" again which is not one we've done alot despite having 2 dogs and she did it back to him.
she's been doing what we think is "book" for a little while. she kind of claps her hands together when you say book which is kinda sorta the sign. and my husband claims she does an approximation of "diaper"

she still doesnt really do "mama" or "dada" but she actually pretty much can say those if you ask (mainly mama)