| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: hurt/swollen feetsies (mine)
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:11 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

My feet/ankles do not really appear to be very swollen but if I poke around the ankle I can see that there is some fluid there. Also my shoes are tight.

I would say the swelling is pretty mild and is just in my feet/ankles but it HURTS. My feet/ankles ache from the time I wake up until way into the night. On days when I stand a lot like on the weekend if im cooking a lot it’s even worse.

My acupuncturist said to have my husband not just rub my ankles but rub from my feet UP my leg like he’s pushing the fluid back towards my heart. That works really well for temporary relief.

I cant really put my feet up at work. I sit at a desk all day. one thing I read was not to cross my legs or ankles. That will be a challenge for me. im sitting here at my desk right now fidgeting because it’s uncomfortable to me to have both feet on the floor. I want to cross my legs.

Any secret tricks? I drink plenty of water. My BP is normal.
I read one quick blurb about eating a banana a day???? that seemed odd.

Post subject: Re: hurt/swollen feetsies (mine)
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:20 am 
***LIES!!!***

Compression socks! Elevate your feet whenever you can, even if it's just a little. Walk whenever you can.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:24 am 
Semen Strong

Banana is for potassium, with the idea that it may help the ion balance in your tissues allowing water to move through more easily, I believe (but am too lazy to google).

Put a stepstool under your desk to elevate a little and set breaks every hour to just walk around a bit. Also circle your ankles and stretch your feet under your desk every hour if you can't get up for a wee walk.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:22 am 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

I thought that bananas aren't really that good for potassium, I mean they have it but its not like its 90% of your RDA or something.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:28 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i think the biggest thing i am lacking is getting up and walking around on work days.

im so miserable here i just sit at my desk like a lump on a log and do my best grumpy cat impersonation.

im gonna try and get up and walk around a bit more. i do at least have to go to the bathroom every 5 seconds so there is that.......

i took my shoes off and that seemed to help. i think they are tighter now than i realized.
i may have to think about wearing sandals for the rest of my time here. too bad there is still several feet of snow on the ground and more coming >_<

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:30 am 
***LIES!!!***

Potatoes are better. Bananas are okay. OJ is also good. You can get the same effect from eating less salt, though, since it's about the balance of sodium and potassium. But I made a major effort when I got really swollen at the end of my pregnancy to do more potassium and less sodium and it made no apparent difference.

Compression socks and massage (the way your acupuncturist recommended - I even saw a massage therapist at the end and had her work on my feet and legs for half an hour straight) seemed to be the most effective, coupled with walking and foot elevation.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:36 am 
Married to the wolfman

Make sure you're drinking a shiitake ton of water too. And then just what everyone else said.

I know it's still winter there and all but maybe it's time to switch to slip on shoes in a size up from your normal one! Or just take your shoes off at your desk, which is definitely what I did at that point.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:40 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

all i can think about all morning since you said compression socks is these crazy compression boots they put on me after i had surgery a couple years ago.

they looked like moon boots and if my memory serves me correctly they just automatically massaged your shins and calves while you had them on.

im guessing it was something to do with helping circulation since i had had so much anesthesia and was cracked out of my head on narcotic pain killers so maybe my own circulation was a bit slow.

but man i really want those damn hospital moon boots right now.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:42 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

coldandsleepy wrote:
Make sure you're drinking a shiitake ton of water too. And then just what everyone else said.

I know it's still winter there and all but maybe it's time to switch to slip on shoes in a size up from your normal one! Or just take your shoes off at your desk, which is definitely what I did at that point.

definitely drinking tons of water. i also dont really salt anything though i do use salt when cooking. i just dont add more after.

my shoes are off right now ;-)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:48 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

My friend wore support hose for this. I just popped into say that I had a really hard time with my feet being swollen postpartum. There was no way my feet were going to fit into my shoes at that point. I was really happy to have slip on comfy slippers for that time.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:59 am 
***LIES!!!***

Yes, compression socks = support hose. They're called different things and they come in different strengths. You can buy them on Amazon if your local drug store doesn't carry them.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:11 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

omg every monday i have to answer the phones here for an hour so the receptionist can go to lunch and at her desk she has this foot rest thing.
sort of like this:
http://www.staples.com/Fellowes-Standard-Foot-Rest/product_485999

hers you can push on and it moves up or down

im in heaven with my feet up on it moving it up and down.
i need her to order one for me.......

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:12 pm 
Semen Strong

lycophyte wrote:
I thought that bananas aren't really that good for potassium, I mean they have it but its not like its 90% of your RDA or something.

Yeah, I was just trying to explain why her colleagues recommended them. I just did a lot of yoga inversions, which helped a lot.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:14 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Yeah - I think the banana advertisers must be pretty awesome, because everybody seems to think they're the best source of potassium that ever existed.

Yoga inversions - does that mean things like downward facing dog or does it mean all the way upside down like head/shoulder stands?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:38 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Ariann wrote:
Yeah - I think the banana advertisers must be pretty awesome, because everybody seems to think they're the best source of potassium that ever existed.

Yoga inversions - does that mean things like downward facing dog or does it mean all the way upside down like head/shoulder stands?

Both of those sentences made me lol out loud. I agree about banana advertising or some kind of potassium conspiracy. They are great for smoothies, though.
I'm pretty sure inversions in yoga are just where your head is below your heart (like downward dog), but I LOVE the idea of pregnant Tofulish doing headstands and all those convoluted lifting up your feet whilst on your hands yoga poses.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:39 pm 
Semen Strong

You should definitely not do head or shoulder stands while pregnant, unless you have a lot of experience, but legs up the wall is an inversion as well.

Last edited by Tofulish on Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:39 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Hey, it could happen!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:43 pm 
Semen Strong

Hahaha, I was fixing that when you responded.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:46 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i used to be pretty kickass at inversions and shoulder stands.

im not gonna try to now though im all sorts of broken. legs up the wall sound pretty good though.
ill have to try that tonight.

i also ordered a pair of compression knee highs.

this foot rest thing the receptionist has though is the greatest thing ever made

im going to steal it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:42 pm 
Nailed to the V

I have a back massager cushion (kind of like this http://www.staples.com/Comfort-Massaging-Lumbar-Back-Support-Cushion-with-Heat/product_735872?cid=PS:GooglePLAs:735872&KPID=735872) at work. When I was pregnant, I put it on the floor and used it to massage my swollen feet and ankles. I was still swollen as can be, but it made my feet happy.