| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help! What can I do about this heartburn!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:36 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I've taken Tums and pepcid but I still have the most awful, chronic metallic taste in my mouth and throat. Like I've been sucking on pennies. I'm supposed to drink a lot of water in order to keep down my swelling and BH contractions but every type of water I drink tastes horrible. I don't know what's left for me to drink or eat that won't give me acid reflux or leave a horrible taste in my mouth. Any help?

BTW, I'm 37 weeks.

Post subject: Re: Help! What can I do about this heartburn!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:58 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

ive had really bad acid reflux throughout my entire pregnancy (only 30 weeks now though)
at first my dr told me to take prilosec once a day so i did that but i still couldnt eat. like it was so bad i walked around feeling like i was going to projectile vomit at any moment.

i called the Dr and was like "yeah i cant eat.....anything....i cant sleep"
they told me to start taking Zantac twice a day. that helped more.

you're supposed to take it 15-30 minutes before you eat. so i usually take it either in the morning or before lunch and then again before dinner.

it helped alot in the 2nd trimester. now that im in my 3rd trimester it's getting a bit worse again.
the other thing i do is instead of Tums i take Gaviscon as recommended by people on this board. it's like Tums in that you take it when you need it and you chew it (although i hear there is a drink too).
warning: it tastes NASTY but you take 3-4 and choke them down and then drink a bunch of water.

unfortunatley at this point the most sympathy i get is "oh it will only get worse" so im not really sure at 37 weeks if those things will even help :-(
they told me if it got really bad they could give me something Rx for acid reflux.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:07 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Zantac? Nexium?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:40 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

lordy, at that stage (preggo with twins) i was eating so many Tums! i was buying the 100000000 count bottle.
i do remember not really laying down at all after a certain point, i think i slept in a recliner and never really got horizontal after maybe 35 weeks.
i also know i drank a lot of mint tea, along with the raspberry leaf tea, and that seemed to make me at least imagine i felt better.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:42 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Omeprazole was the only thing that worked for me at the end. That and eating tiny meals and mostly staying upright. Fun.

One of the only things I could stand to drink at the end was coconut water. If you like it, maybe give it a try? Herbal teas? Probably not as great as plain water but you have to get down whatever you can get down.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:01 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I see my doctor on Monday so I'll talk to her about other medications. When it gets really bad at night (waking up every 10 minutes coughing up acid) I sleep in the recliner. My husband has to help me get in it but when I have to get up by myself to pee I feel like a turtle on my back. I don't know whether to laugh or cry :)

I'll also try the coconut water. It sounds soothing.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:34 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

There is this liquid stuff here called Gaviscon that my midwives told me about and it seems to help with all my intestinal woes. And my friend's midwife said to eat almonds for heartburn.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:35 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I heard that apples, almonds, and apple cider vinegar can all tame reflux and heartburn.

I had horrible reflux and drank lots of apple juice and ate a lot of raw almonds. It helped for a few minutes at a time anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:53 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

im bumping this thread back up because my husband read something yesterday about just drinking hot water is supposed to help acid reflux/heartburn.

he read somewhere online that someone who was pregnant did that and it helped them so it's not like a scientific fact but it's free to try!

i drank a couple cups of plain hot water throughout the morning and i had less of the vomitous feeling of acid reflux than i normally have. not sure if it's related but im gonna keep trying it. it did seem only to be temporary as later i did feel a bit pukey/burny again but im almost 35 weeks so i guess this is the pukey/burny stage regardless of what you do.

anyone who has had bad acid reflux or heartburn knows that drinking yummy delicious refreshing cold water doesnt help (i swear it makes it worse?)
the hot water is not tasty or refreshing but it seems to not cause it and may help a bit.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:56 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

oh and ps dont drink hot water straight out of the tap if you have tap water you can drink.

soemthing about pipes and stuff in pipes.

im making a ton of sense today......