| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What can I do for this new mom?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:30 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

A coworker from my previous job just had a baby girl last week under very dire circumstances.

She was 8 months, and last week on Thursday during the night, her apartment went on fire. The firemen found her unconscious, took her out from the window. She had severe smoke inhalation, so at the hospital she was given a C-section. She never regained consciousness...from what I understand she is in a medically induced coma and on a respirator because one of her lungs is really messed up. Baby is doing fine; my friend is not married but I am sure the father and the rest of her family are very much in the picture. Nobody is allowed to see her, and nobody knows if she is even aware she is no longer pregnant.

I feel so sad for her...what was supposed to be a wonderful time for her has turned into such a nightmare. But hopefully, eventually, she will be ok and allowed to go home with her daughter.

Since I owe her a baby shower gift, do you wise PPK moms, dads and people-who-know-stuff-about-babies-and-sick-moms have any ideas on what I can do for her? She is pretty far from me, but I am planning to go see her with a bunch of ex coworkers. Actually, knowing those people, they will probably go scrub and fix her apartment while she is in the hospital...

Any thoughts?

Post subject: Re: What can I do for this new mom?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:33 pm 
Semen Strong

Yikes, what a nightmare!

I don't know what specifically she needs or wants, but am sure what ever you provide would be appreciated. do you know anyone who would know where she is registered, so you could get something off her registry?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:32 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

How awful. I cannot even imagine what she will be feeling when she wakes up.

While she's in the hospital, once she is allowed, just visit her. Call, text, let her know you're thinking about her. Bring her something yummy to eat since hospital food is not the best.

And maybe a Target or someplace like that gift card. I imagine she will need to replace a lot of her basic stuff that got ruined in the fire. If she's short on cash, she might even be more likely to replace baby stuff and not take care of herself. So something for her to get herself new things would be really nice.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:56 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Has her family contacted the Red Cross or similar relief organizations? The family and baby's father are probably your best source for finding out what she might need. Whoever's taking care of the baby right now might appreciate an offer to watch her or you could offer to run errands for them.

Once she is conscious and accepting visitors, I would just make sure to visit as much as you can and ask what she needs.

I hope she has a quick recovery--what an awful situation.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:46 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I agree with annak, ask those who know her better what she'll need. And don't take it personally if she's too tired to see you, even after she comes home.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:08 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Could you have dinner delivered one (or several) nights to dad and other caretakers? Remembering to feed yourself is difficult at the best of times with a newborn.

For when she's conscious and recovering, having had two c sections I can tell you that my most treasured gifts postpartum were pretty robes (helps you feel ever so slightly more like yourself in the hospital) and belly bands (supports the incision site so you're not wincing every time you shift in bed or lift your baby).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:37 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Thank you all for the great ideas. I just hope this does not leave her with permanent breathing problems! I heard a couple of the guys that work at my former job are going to her apartment tomorrow to try to clean up. I am going to ask them if they need anything.

I really appreciate your feedback, and I will wait for her to wake up and take my clue from there. :)