| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: trapped in the house winter activity ideas?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:33 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

i know it's not quite here yet, but how do you keep your children and yourself from going stir crazy in those cold winter months?

so far, all i've thought of is getting a book on toddler yoga.

so, please, share some of your best indoor winter activities here!

Post subject: Re: trapped in the house winter activity ideas?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:46 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I'm going to work on learning poi, since I won't have as much room to hula hoop (unless I go in the living room, then the dogs all get upset).

Some hippie doing glow poi:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLWyXZMPyyM

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:10 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

honestly, my goal is to spend as little time in the house as possible. we bought a jogging stroller/ bike trailer that has a cab that can be closed up so we can go skating and walking, we're taking a swimming class that starts in january, plus our weekly play group that meets at a cafe. we'll probably go to the mall a lot, there's the babies story time at the library, and a mom's and tots yoga class. there are festivals every weekend too.

we live in montreal, so there will undoubtedly be days with absolutely horrific weather, but i find that our transit system runs remarkably well even in snowstorms. i plan on leaving the car at home and saving myself the headache of winter driving. we're investing in good quality winter wear for tziporah (a cover for the carrier, a sleeping bag type thing for the stroller, lots of warm clothing) and just getting out there. i am looking forward to the winter more than i was the summer, to be honest. this summer our apartment was unbearable during the heatwaves, and it was miserable to get a baby packed up and out the door, even if where we were going was air conditioned. at least in the winter, it is nice and cozy at home even if it's yucky weather outside.

maybe our city is different in this regard (actually, i know it is... toronto basically shuts down in the winter) but there are tonnes of amazing things to do in the winter here.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:43 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

my 2 year old and I are in a mommy in me gymnastics class-inspired me to get more in shape cause I don't want to be the out of wind mom trapped in the foam pit. My 5 year old will go back in gymnastics in a month or so after medical stuff is out of the way. His former preschool teacher said it was real good for him for coordination and taught him social skills like taking turns-he was never in daycare or preschool that long.

I'm getting a wii fit, my friends kid loves it. My son likes the bowling game, so much his blood sugar crashes (diabetic) so that should be fun to figure out.

When my youngest is napping I have workbooks for my son, he's at the fun age where homework is awesome. I picked them up where they sell homeschooling stuff, he goes to public school but needs extra help.

We have a moms group that I found on meetup.com It can take awhile to find one that clicks well. Most of them you can meet with them once or twice without paying dues to make sure it's a good fit. The one I'm in seems to be in the know of all the community activities and we take turns hosting playtime in our homes.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:42 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

For those days when we just can't get out (it's Los Angeles, I melt in the rain) we:
chase each other through all the rooms of the house
play hide and seek
fill up a big washtub of bubbles and scoop and pour
draw
jump on the bed
brush the dog
set up/knock down dominos
make muffins
do yoga and stretching together
practice skateboarding (on a deck with no wheels)
have friends come over for coffee/juice/to eat all those muffins
Stay cozy!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:11 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

i love everyone's ideas!

i feel bad being so lazy, but the more pregnant i get the less motivated i am to travel beyond our backyard with my toddler. once the bad weather hits i just don't see us making it to the library or children's museum unless the hubs is around to assist with loading and unloading (from stroller or car, it's hard for me to lift a 30lb toddler either way). plus, i'll have a newborn in jan, at which point i just cannot see managing to get out of the house on my own. just thinking about it is giving me cabin fever.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:16 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

ilybb - don't feel bad! just do as much as you can when you can! and when you can't just hang w/ felix and do puzzles and color or whatever makes him happy. it'll feel dreadfully slow at times i imagine, but you'll get through :)

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:19 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

I'm reading this for ideas about what to do with myself over the holidays! So far I plan on starting a class at a yoga centre, going to the library and reading books a lot, watching many films and getting to the beach when I can (summer here! yay! Until it gets to like 95 degrees everyday, ugh).

When I babysat we would dance to music, play with toys, paint and draw, build things with lego and wood blocks etc.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:33 am 
So Totally Yiffy

Here are some ideas I've used over and over again staying indoors with a toddler in a cold and rainy climate:

-blow up a balloon and play "keep it off the ground". for older kids you can play with no hands.
-cut up an old shoe box on the top, place it face down on the ground, and roll marbles into different sized holes as a game.
-if you have some wooden blocks, you can make marble ramps using books and see how far/fast you can roll marbles in different structures.
-painting, but for a fun alternative, you can tape paper down inside boxes (game boxes work well) put a little paint on the paper, and roll marbles around in the box to make cool art.
-puzzles, stamps, activity books
-memory games/domino games you can make your own by just printing out one on the internet or drawing your own pictures.
-making collages from old magazines. my son is still too young to cut paper well, so i let him point at pictures, i cut them, and he glues them. another fun thing to do is cut out large face pictures from magazines, cut out the eyes and mouth to make masks from them. i've also cut out face/body parts from magazines and let my son glue people together.
-cooking together is always fun! we don't eat too many sweets so cookie baking days are rare, but my son loves making cut out biscuits with me, or we'll make peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and i'll let him cut out cookie cutter shapes with that. he loves mixing ingredients, kneading dough, peeling garlic, spreading various things with a plastic knife, ideas for cooking with kids are neverending no matter how old they are.
-putting down masking tape on the carpet, you can make your own "roads" and drive cars/trains around
-copying games. this is a good way to be active indoors, we'll take turns copying each other as we go back and forth across a room. one way we'll pretend to me a cat and meow the whole way, another time we'll crab walk, another time we'll walk backwards, then we'll walk in super slow motion, etc.
-if you can find some plain shape stickers, they can be really fun for kids to make pictures out of.
-cleaning. my son thinks its amazing fun to use wipes to clean off his toys, tables, etc. he also loves hanging up his laundry, sweeping, and cleaning dishes. enjoy it while it lasts!
-making tents, anything is more fun in a blanket fort.
-hide and go seek. when they are still to young to grasp the game, you can hide a favorite stuffed animal and go look for it together. we called this "where is the doggy?" when we first started playing and was my son's favorite game for a long time.
-if you have a detachable showerhead and a fairly watertight shower, a shower can be just as much fun as playing in a sprinkler outside in the summer!
-cornstarch + water = most fun/interesting homemade goopy stuff for playing with. easy to clean up!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:07 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

sourceoflight, I think I love you! You've got great ideas! Well, everyone in this thread does actually.

I've got Julian signed up for some Chicago Park District classes like storytime and gymnastics, and I go to the gym a couple days a week so he gets to play with other kids there too.

And I think we're getting him a toddler-digital camera for Xmas, and it comes with software for adding fun stuff to the photos. So we'll probably just walk around outside for as long as we can and take pictures, then take a bunch inside, and then sit at the computer and edit them to make them funky and/or silly, and make Julian laugh and keep him entertained.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:41 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

yeah i realized in the other thread source might be awesome :)

sometimes livi and i like to just go places (stores) and look around. and she has dance classes and there's a gymnastics place but i don't think i want to sign her up for that.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:00 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I think I'm going to get an underbed storage container and fill it with rice, and throw in some scoops/cars/sand toys stuff like that. Also plastic jugs of beans. My two year old loves playing with dry beans right now.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:48 am 
Bathes in Braggs

ismlove, i forgot you're due in january. i was just talking to some parent friends, and the consensus was that being pregnant with a toddler is harder than being not pregnant with a newborn and a toddler. so you might find yourself feeling a little more capable of getting out and about once the bean is out. still, not envying you the month of decemeber!

do you have a playgroup or anything? i find it a very relaxing but still invigorating part of my week now that we know the people in it pretty well. we just meet at a baby-friendly cafe and hang out for a few hours. maybe you can find something like that in your area if you google? there are at least 5 similar places within our city limits alone.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:26 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

BunzOfCinnamon wrote:

And I think we're getting him a toddler-digital camera for Xmas, and it comes with software for adding fun stuff to the photos. So we'll probably just walk around outside for as long as we can and take pictures, then take a bunch inside, and then sit at the computer and edit them to make them funky and/or silly, and make Julian laugh and keep him entertained.

My son is also getting a toddler digital camera for xmas this year. I didn't even think about the editing possibilities :)

Also, if you have a mac computer in the house, they come with a picture/video taking program (photobooth) that is super navigable for young kids. They simply have to click on the picture effect they want to use, then click on the camera icon to take the picture with that effect. Hours of fun!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:22 am 
Inflexitarian

This is one of my favorite blogs:
http://indietutes.blogspot.com/

There's crafty tutorials and ideas, sewing tutorials, and recipes (they're vegan! Well, obviously, or I wouldn't mention the recipes.)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:24 am 
Inflexitarian

sourceoflight wrote:
BunzOfCinnamon wrote:

My son is also getting a toddler digital camera for xmas this year. I didn't even think about the editing possibilities :)

Also, if you have a mac computer in the house, they come with a picture/video taking program (photobooth) that is super navigable for young kids. They simply have to click on the picture effect they want to use, then click on the camera icon to take the picture with that effect. Hours of fun!

Oh, yeah, I'm getting Zola a digital camera for Christmas too because she keeps stealing mine.