| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Brushing baby's teeth
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:23 pm 
Semen Strong

We watch this video every night, at least 3 or 4 times. It is so great. Thank you again kimba!

She loves Carlos! No matter how much she wants to run and hide, that cute face always lures her back to the video so I can get in and brush her!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:34 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I know!! After teeth brushing getting more fraught the last few days, I finally gave up trying in the bathroom and pulled the Carlos video back up. Worked like a charm. We watched it about 5 times, more than enough to get all the teeth brushed.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:46 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

At our last doctor's appointment, she told us that at the next appointment she would recommend brushing before bed (after nursing). I'm dreading that transition. Right now we brush after we put on jammies, read, and then nurse. How are other people managing this? I haven't tried it yet, but I'm assuming she would freak if I tried to brush at that point.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:51 pm 
Semen Strong

Yipes, we couldn't do that bc L nurses to sleep.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:40 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

We finally tried to brush Giles' teeth. We got one of those fingertip brushers. It was a total no-go. We didn't put paste or anything on it - I wish I had started this when he was a teeeeeny weeeeeny baby so he was used to it. I read C&S saying E was very "secretive" with his mouth - well Giles is too!!! He won't let us do anything in there :(

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:26 pm 
Nooch of Earl

So I just saw an ad for these on tv:

http://www.spinbrush.com/toothtunes.html#listennow

First, I thought that was the dumbest thing I'd ever seen. Took me a minute to figure out it was marketed towards kids.

And then I realized: they need to make one preloaded with the Carlos Toothbrushing Song. And then it would be the most brilliant thing I've ever seen.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:28 pm 
Semen Strong

OMG. That would be amazing. We sing the Carlos Toothbrushing song at least 10x a day. While brushing the dogs teeth, while brushing our teeth, while brushing Leela's teeth.

And she really barely resists at all these days. Thanks so much Kimba! Also, I wish I could share it with people, but won't without asking first, so Kimba, would you mind if I share this?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:35 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Feel free to share it! I'm glad some people are finding it helpful. :)

annasrobbie, we started with one of those fingertip brushes before Carlos had teeth and it helped with the transition for sure. We also used something like this with little nubbies to get him used to oral stimulation. http://www.nuk-usa.com/all-products/ora ... shset.aspx Certainly these don't effectively remove plaque (nor do the finger brushes), but they can sometimes help for the transition. I think the finger one helped us more than the nubby one, but it depends on the kid too. Good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:42 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

We have had some minimal success wiping his gums and teeth with a washrag - so we will try that a little longer and then see if we can use a brush.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:07 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Almost no tears yesterday!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:28 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Tonight, Freya is exhausted and crying because she had an early nap, then spiked a fever and rash reacting to her vax and just generally feels like shiitake. She is hyper-sensitive about every single thing. She cries when Pappa is too far away, but wants Mommy there too. She is just really a basket case. Cries through pajamas. Cries through the "washer woman" song (which she loves). cries through the funny cream jar with the baby butt on it. Cries cries cries.

Then....she brushes her teeth and all is well with the world for a few minutes. Seriously....crazy psycho baby one minute, smiling toddler sucking on wet toothbrush the next.

I love my weird kid.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 8:37 pm 
Semen Strong

Could that be because she's teething? L has canines breaking through and actually signed "cute baby brush teeth" to get her Carlos fix. And she let me brush her teeth with no protest. This is the best video ever.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 9:03 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

That's awesome, Tofulish! She's got some advanced signing skills!

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:52 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

hey kimba, a bit of a tooth q here. my 16 month old has normal front teeth, but her bottom back molars she's just cut are very pointy and they look a few different shades of white and i was wondering, if this is a normal look or if i should be rushing her to the dentist to get a flouride treatment or something? she hasn't had these teeth long enough to get caries or anything yet and i don't know what a normal molar looks like to judge lol i could just be looking to closely for problems... i don't *really* want to take her to the dentist yet, i would like to avoid the trauma if all babies' new molars are in fact pointy and clearish on top.... Lard, i can't even tell after typing this if it's a crazy thing to wonder or a genuine concern :/

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:08 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Teeth have some normal variation in color and there can also be abnormal variation in color for a variety of reasons. Also, they usually look pretty bumpy, but without seeing her I can't really answer your question. I would see a dentist either way so that she is established with someone. Good luck!

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:40 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

heh. i book a dental appointment and then rang my mum and she laughed and told me that i did the exact same thing when elijah got his molars, except i eventually chilled out and waited to see if they became normal and they did. and you know, after she said that, i remember. i was all set to get tooth mousse (even though it contains dairy products, i was that convinced something wasn't right). now i'm tempted to cancel the app. hmmm.

side note, i'm sick atm and i tend to start worrying about stuff when i don't feel well...