| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: I hate Candyland (Board game suggestions PLEASE)
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 3:35 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I just came back to this thread because after asking here and IRL, two games that came up several times were Tsuro: The Game of the Path and Zombie Dice. Neither are explicitly for kids, but both have simple rules, don't require reading, and are relatively short. At 4 1/2 he's definitely not completely getting the finer points of strategy that makes these games fun on an adult level, but this hasn't really diminished the quality of the game for any of us (He's won more games of Zombie Dice than me, so...). So, for the record, highly recommend both for board game interested non-readers.

ijustdiedinside wrote:
This company seems to make a lot of kids games. I remember getting a catalog with a bunch of kids games in it inside another game we like called Forbidden Island (which is a good game for older kids).

http://www.gamewright.com/gamewright/in ... page=index

^That list is cool! Also, Forbidden Island is a game I have been eyeing for myself!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:44 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

We started having the Candy Land blues around here recently and I discovered a game company that has some good cooperative games for kids. We bought Hoot Owl Hoot and our 3 year old loves it. It's like a shorter version of Candy Land where you work together to help owls get the nest before the sun comes up. The company (Peaceable Kingdom) has some other good looking games too.

http://www.amazon.com/Peaceable-Kingdom ... t+owl+hoot

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:51 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

ismloveyoubobbybrown wrote:
I just came back to this thread because after asking here and IRL, two games that came up several times were Tsuro: The Game of the Path and Zombie Dice. Neither are explicitly for kids, but both have simple rules, don't require reading, and are relatively short. At 4 1/2 he's definitely not completely getting the finer points of strategy that makes these games fun on an adult level, but this hasn't really diminished the quality of the game for any of us (He's won more games of Zombie Dice than me, so...). So, for the record, highly recommend both for board game interested non-readers.

Oooooooh, we've been keeping an eye out lately for good games. These sound perfect for my son (and actually my partner too), so I think we'll have to pick these up. Thanks for the recommendation!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:59 pm 
rowdily playing checkers

You might want to check out Fauna Junior. It's nominally an animal trivia game, although it's really more about estimating size and weight (at least, the grown up version is). Animal facts is one of those things that young kids can be weirdly, prodigiously good at, so that might help keep it interesting for the grups.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:28 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Definitely this:

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/4815 ... rth-africa

(Check the play time.)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:21 pm 
Nailed to the V

BUMP!

I just bought Dixit and it is SO fun.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:37 am 
Wears Pleather Undies

Orchard is a good one. Dwarves and Dice is, too.

And we started teaching Magic the Gathering with a fairly basic deck of easy to understand cards at 8. 8 has also brought us our first table top RPG (a homebrew system in the Pokemon world) and LARP (My Little Pony). My little proto-geek also just watched her first 2 episodes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and finished the first story arc of ElfQuest.