| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Computers - What have I done?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:41 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

So I never really wanted to buy Livi any of those kid video games and yet I decided it'd be a good idea to buy her a kid friendly mouse. And then I showed her the games on the Nick Jr page. And she's hooked - a computer game junkie. What have I done? She still reads and plays with real toys and stuff but ARGH!

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

Post subject: Re: Computers - What have I done?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:45 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Time to set explicit time limits, I guess?

I mean, I totally can't talk here-- I live online and play tons of video games, but this is something I've been thinking of as The Emperor gets older. I think what we'll do is set some kind of time limit for playing games on his own... Like, he gets 1 hour a night of gaming time, at least until he's older.

On the bright side, you now have something to restrict if you need some kind of punishment... 8)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:58 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

There are some great games for kids that also provide a bit of edutainment, like Spy Fox or Pajama Sam. For free online stuff, there are a lot of games on PBS Kids including Arthur games.

Not to feed Livi's addiction or anything...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:09 pm 

Is there a learning value to any of this or have I just given her a worthless addiction?

I <3 Pajama Sam but I don't really want to buy anything if I can avoid it.

hoveringdog wrote:
There are some great games for kids that also provide a bit of edutainment, like Spy Fox or Pajama Sam. For free online stuff, there are a lot of games on PBS Kids including Arthur games.

Not to feed Livi's addiction or anything...

as long as you're going to feed, find me an alphabet teaching site that doesn't have lousy navigation? (i tried and failed at that the other day)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:30 pm 
Be afraid... be very afraid

As to value, beyond learning to navigate a website, I never felt the educational value of nickjr, or sesame street, or the other kids' sites were any better than a kids' tv show that was trying to be educational. My kids both went through phases where they liked to play games, but I think a lot of that was emulating me or Mr. LL because they saw us on the computer. When it became homework, for example, it wasn't nearly as alluring. We set time limits and made using the computer a treat and the pure entertainment function resolved itself. Now that the girls are older (5 and 7) we use the computer for information, research, to find books, and to email. I think learning to use the computer as a tool is an essential skill, and the computer learning that they get in school are basic exercises using computer programs instead of worksheets.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:05 am 
Grandfathered In

I've never been impressed by the supposed educational value of any of the computer games GG's played. As it is he gets 30 minutes of computer/iPhone* time per day.

*no, he doesn't have his own iPhone.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:19 pm 

yeah, i'm just going to get a timer and let the timer be the evil one.

eta: i'm trying to computer less in front of her. she's in the shower right now. shhh, don't tell!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:58 am 
So Totally Yiffy

This website is really good for free online games for young children: http://www.starfall.com/ and actually educational! I started playing the ABC's section with my son when he was about 2 & 1/2, by the time he was 3, he had learned his alphabet and phonetic sounds for letters through it, and learned how to use a mouse to click on various things. For older kids learning how to read, there are a lot of animated storybook type of games where you can click on the words to hear them read out loud.

My son loves computer games, but hasn't reached the point where he doesn't want to stop playing them. Even if I let him play for as long as he wants, he'll get tired of playing after far less than an hour. For me, its movies/cartoons I have to worry about limiting. When he can tell the movie he is currently watching is almost over, he'll already start whining that he wants to watch another one! I guess the important thing is to decide what kind of limits you want to or need to set. For us, it is one movie each day on friday night, saturday, and sunday (we're too busy during the week for movies anyways) unless my son is sick and I want him to rest on the couch instead of running around outside in the cold!

Developmentally, I don't think there is anything wrong with kids watching movies or playing computer games. If the games or movies are a problem, its usually just one part of a larger problem. For example, a child that isn't active enough could also be so while looking at books and coloring and doing puzzles all day, but you wouldn't blame those activities that the child is most interested in at the moment for the problem. Excessive use of computers and videos isn't good for children because they are so passive, the child doesn't have to use much creativity or manipulation to get enjoyment out of them, but that is true of a lot of other noisemaking, button pressing, remote controlled type toys that dominate the toy market. The important thing is that the parents recognize when their child is obsessed with one thing at the exclusion of other important facets of exploration and play and provide interesting alternatives to encourage other interests.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:09 pm 

Thanks source! :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:55 pm 
Grandfathered In

The American Academy of Pediatrics doesn't think kids under 2 should watch TV.

article not from the AAP, but it was the best I could find before I got distracted.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:00 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

i heart starfall for the 4 to5 set too and also check out http://www.poissonrouge.com/poissonrouge.php. more approp for the younger set and it does more then just english, too.

my husband in a gamer, and we try to keep our computer time to post baby bedtime. we don't have a tv, but we fig the computer is similar. that said, last week, we had to do stuff, and we totally whipped out a laptop and poissonrouge to entertain him while we figured things out.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:38 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Starfall is what Shae's elementary school used too. We did Jumpstart with Shae when he was 4-5 and he loved it. We were always there with him though talking about what was happening.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:38 pm 

yeah livi discovered a game i'd never found before where she finds certain letters and spells words and she loves when i sit and watch her :)

she played today for about 20 minutes and said she had enough and then played barbies.