| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trying to conceive after 13 years on Depo Provera
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:33 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

Hi guys,

hubby and i have decided to try and get pregnant.... i've been taking depo for 13 years and have been off of it for over three months The last two months i have had some kind of period, although certainly not my pre-depo normal. the first was two days of spotting, the second was one day of usual first day flow, followed by two days of spotting. My first son was conceived when i was 16 and on the pill. Hubby and i did get pregnant about 11 years ago after missing my shot by a week, but i miscarried at five weeks. I guess i'm impatient, but has anyone been in this situation? How long did it take? Am I being ridiculous in thinking this should happen sooner than later? btw...i am 31 and hubby will be 40 this year.

Thanks for any info or help at all.

Post subject: Re: Trying to conceive after 13 years on Depo Provera
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:59 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I don't know how long it will take - but I wanted to wish you good luck! Your ages are the same as me and my hubby when he had our first last year :) The waiting game is tough - feel free to vent on the conceiving thread if you need to!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:21 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I was on Norplant then Depo for 14 years and everything I read said 6 months to 2 years. Well, it was exactly 6 months even though I'd only had 2 periods that were a day long! I've had some crazy side effects from getting off Depo, too (using the copper no-hormone IUD now) like losing 50 (!) pounds, memory improvement, increased sex drive... who knows what your experience will be, but I wish I had known how adversely that stuff was affecting my health. Best of luck!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:39 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I was on birth control pills from 16 to 31. I got pregnant two weeks after I stopped taking them. I think that it's impossible to tell how long it will take. My Dr. had told me to expect about 6 months before I would get pregnant.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:36 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Thanks for the info and support guys! Strange that you should mention memory improvement after getting off depo.... my memory is awful, I could really use some of those "side effects" you mentioned BigEnchiladas.... lol. Well here's to hoping things work themselves out soon...I think i'm supposed to ovulate this week (at least thats what the app on my phone tells me..lol) plus i'm on vacation.. so fingers crossed!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:38 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I am another one who got pregnant in the month after going off the pill after being on it for 13 years straight. Y'never know.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:44 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I got pregnant whilst on the pill. It's just up to your body!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:54 pm 
Saggy Butt

I took Depo for only three years, but it took me a full two years to start cycling and get a period after my last injection. Of course, I could have been fertile earlier, but I wasn't trying at the time so who knows. But I'm definitely not trying to be a bummer -- hopefully if you are already having irregular periods and tracking your temperature and it's indicating that you are ovulating, it will happen for you sooner!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:38 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

lilbear wrote:
Strange that you should mention memory improvement after getting off depo.... my memory is awful, I could really use some of those "side effects" you mentioned BigEnchiladas.... lol.

You just might! I was actually tested by 2 different doctors for hypothyroidism, with the memory issues being the biggest concern (all of the symptoms I had were also known side effects of Depo - wish one of them would have mentioned that!). Things like, "did I feed the cats dinner already?" or people swearing they had told me something or bringing home the same bad movie 3 times... subjective stuff that could be explained by working fulltime and doing graduate classes at night and just being spread too thin, so I never followed up when my thyroid tests came back normal.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:02 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

So...update....after several months of weird spotting and "quasi" periods..I actually had a real, fully hormonal, awful, feel like a miserable bisque, everything hurts, I hate being a girl PERIOD!...YAY? I know its a good sign that things are getting back to normal, but holy moly! I remember why periods suck so bad now! Hopefully this means i am ovulating now. I cant take temp reading cause i work permanent night shift and I have been told this this will make my readings unreliable. Here's to hoping that i will soon be able to conceive...although i have to admit I am kinda scared. I had one super healthy pregnancy, that produced a super healthy son, after a super easy (3 1/2 hr) homebirth at 17 yrs old, then a miscarriage at 6 wks when I was 20, im not sure what to expect. I have to hope things go as well as my first pregnancy, but i guess i will always have it in the back of my mind..."what if its all for naught? What if you have another miscarriage? Do you keep trying? Only to have more babies die?" I know it sounds kinda nutty....but i cant help feeling like its selfish to keep trying if i have another miscarriage. I dont know....I think im going nuts! Any related experience would be super helpful...please and thank you!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:24 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

BTW... I am in no way saying that women who try to conceive after multiple miscarriages are being selfish...I honestly don't believe that...but the little self conscious voice in the back of my head keeps saying awful things like that...making me doubt my own rational beliefs. I hope you can all understand what i mean. I in no way mean to offend or hurt anyone with what i have posted...im just kinda second guessing myself here......uggggh this is all so hormonal and irrational!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:59 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Yeah for a full-blown period! I know you said you can't temp - but are checking other "fertilitily" signs like cervical mucus, cervical position? Those of course cannot say whether you are ovulating or not - but can give you an idea if everything is getting back on track! Also maybe OPK's? (or maybe you don't want to drive yourself insane with those!) Good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:33 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

you can totally temp. if your work schedule is normal, and you wake up at the same time every day (or can at least set an alarm to wake up at that time) and have about 6 hours of mostly uninterrupted sleep, it should be no problem. (and on weekends/days off, if you sleep at a different time, just temp when you wake.) don't rely on temping, of course, as the only factor, but after 3 months, take a look at the charts and see if you see any strange wobbling on your days off. (you can draw those circles in a different color to help you see at a glance) if the wobbling is consistent, you can easily then adjust the temp as you go.

the conservative view of not being able to rely on temps if you don't have a normal sleep schedule is mostly for those using it to avoid pregnancy, but for you, it wouldn't be a problem. any extra data is a good thing.

FYI: a temperature dip mid-cycle (especially if it's during an eggwhite cervical mucus time) indicates get down to business. :-) (and a distinct rise means don't stress yourself until your next cycle begins... and congrats are in order if the temperature stays up and keeps rising for 16 days.)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:39 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

We Are Pregnant! 5 weeks today...early i know, but still super happy that it has happened!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:50 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

yay!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:50 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Congratulations! Wishing you and the little bean a safe pregnancy.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:44 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

Thanks for the well wishes!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:26 am 
***LIES!!!***

Hooray!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:40 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Congratulations!