| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Alicia Silverstone starts vegan breast milk program
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:23 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

inneresting

http://perezhilton.com/fitperez/2013-07-01-alicia-silverstone-breast-milk-vegan-sharing-service#.UdQJGoXpb7W

Post subject: Re: Alicia Silverstone starts vegan breast milk program
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:50 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I think this is awesome. It also explains why that dummy on Facebook was talking about breastfeeding not being vegan.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:58 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

It's great in theory, but I really think the milk should be tested for communicable diseases first. Caveat emptor.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:05 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

The milk is tested.

I think this is amazing.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:47 am 
Saggy Butt

I think it's awesome! I donated extra milk to a local mama who couldn't make much herself, and though she wasn't vegan, they ate a mostly vegan diet, ate all organic, etc. She was thrilled to get breast milk but even happier that it came from a person with a diet so close to her own. If I ever need supplemental BM it I would love to have a resource like this!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:46 am 
***LIES!!!***

This is super awesome. I didn't realize one could get donor milk so easily from community sharing programs when I would have taken advantage of it last time around - my lactation consultant steered me away from contacting the milk bank because it's crazy expensive, but didn't mention HM4HB and the other community donation organizations. Next time I am almost certainly going to seek out donor milk and this is super cool.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:57 am 
Semen Strong

In theory I love breast milk exchanges, but they really do depend on the good faith of the people involved

We had a really bad incident in our local HM4HB breast milk program - a woman created a series of false profiles and was collecting milk under some profiles (for her sick daughter under some and for a NB under others) and donating it under others. We don't know why she was doing it, but we know she was telling people that the milk she was donating met their restrictions (no dairy etc) when it didn't, which could be a big issue for a baby with intolerances. We also don't know that she was storing the milk properly. When it came out, it was a huge scandal, and she deleted all her profiles, but there wasn't any other legal follow-up. Not saying this would happen with Alicia Silverstone's program, but I would personally only take donated milk from someone I knew and trusted.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:03 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Dude, that sucks. I'm not on the HM4HB page, but I'm on a chronic low supply page and a majority of the women there use donated milk and nobody's had an issue that I know of. Lots of them have to use dairy-free or otherwise allergy friendly milk, too, and while they sometimes can't find a donor who meets those specs at all the donors they've had were apparently truthful. It seems like a worthwhile public health campaign to find ways to lower the bar to entry for milk banks so more women could donate to them and that milk could be made available at low cost to babies in a variety of situations. My LC claimed milk banks were charging $5/oz. and might not sell to a family with a healthy, full-term baby anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:41 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Kelly wrote:
The milk is tested.

I think this is amazing.

That's good to know. Not all of the media has reported as such.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:44 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

ScooterDiva wrote:
Kelly wrote:
The milk is tested.

I think this is amazing.

That's good to know. Not all of the media has reported as such.

That's a shame if it is being reported that way. I've heard about it from three separate sources and all 3 have mentioned the (usual) testing process for breastmilk.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:13 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

The good thing about a local breastmilk sharing program though is that you can get to know the the person donating to you - I donated to a set of twins and before she took any of my milk home we sat down and had a chat about diet and lifestyle, she saw my house, I met her babies and she met mine. I know a lot of people even offer to share results of medical testing (most people have extensive bloodwork during their recent pregnancy) so I don't think the testing/screening or not is such a HUGE issue and can really add costs to the milk program. Of course, a one on one conversation doesn't 100% guarantee you know what is going on with a person - but I would kind of imagine that had someone been a little "off" as in the Tofulish scenario above, that you might be able to detect something in home visit (particularly when you asked to me her "baby"?). Maybe not. I am glad for the vegan milk program though - I was donating my milk to a lovely set of twins, but I kind of wished my "specialty" milk could go to a real live vegan baby :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:46 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

This is awesome. I donated to another vegan mom through HM4HB totally by accident, but I was so excited to have found her.