| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: how do you entertain an infant
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:53 pm 
Semen Strong

OMG SHE IS SO BEAUTIFUL SQUEEEEE!!!!!!!!

THROW A forking YAM IN THE OVEN ITS forking CHRISTMAS - LisaPunk

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:47 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

look at all dat hair!! she is super cute/beautiful!!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:25 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Oh wow mack, thanks for sharing! I feel like a very negligent mother for all of the Netflix watching I've been doing! Elizabeth is just starting to find things other than my boob interesting so I need to step up.my game!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:31 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Oh wow, I spend a lot of time staring blankly into space while A kicks on her mat.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:55 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Don't feel neglectful! A lot of this stuff I just started doing, like, the day I made that post. And at least half of it I just started doing that week. In no way is every day like that either! She has a few super alert days where she's really into a couple different types of play, but then the past couple days she's been like a brand new newborn again, nothing but nursing and falling asleep on the nursing pillow.

You couldn't do that many different things every day, their little brains would explode. ;)

Today all she's done is tummy time with toys. I put her on her activity mat and she yelled like crazy, so into the moby with ya. She did the thousand yard stare, then finally succumbed to sleep, while I washed fruit and veg and put some stuff in the freezer and put dinner in the crockpot. <3

Now I remember why I try to keep a continent between me and New Jersey at all times. -torque

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:35 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Ok I feel better now :) we do a lot of walking in the moby talking about what we can see, I'm lucky that I am in the middle of lovely countryside and a ten minute walk from town.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:02 pm 

Yeah me too. I was like Mack does that all every day?! She's super mom and S is super baby!

Baby Lobster has just started not hating tummy time. She still has no interest in her activity mat or anything like that. The cat likes sleeping on it though.

Baby Lobsters favorite thing is to stare at one specific throw pillow on our couch. She smiles at this thing like crazy. Ok kid.

In an attempt to talk to her more I narrate breaking bad during nursing sessions while I rewatch the series. Totally baby appropriate.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:43 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

BP loved staring at the light by our couch. i was like "ok kid stop burning your retinas out please"

we binge watched Breaking Bad when she was an infant and she hasnt become a meth king pin that we are aware of yet.
though you may have seen my post on fb about the "ghost house" in our neighborhood so maybe she is running a meth lab.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:55 pm 

Maybe baby punk and baby lobster can team up and have an international meth ring together

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:04 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

hahahah that would be awesome (ok maybe not that would be bad IRL but its funny to think of!)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:43 am 
Inflexitarian

yeah, my baby doesn't even get time on a mat [either back or tummy] every day, Mack is my hero! ;)

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 10:54 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

This is half baby development update, and half a what else might he like to do? post.

electric_baby is 4 months now, and he is getting so much more interactive! He is basically a different baby than he was two weeks ago. A few weeks ago he started getting very interested in standing (with help, obviously), and was not thrilled at being laid down or sat down, so we tried putting him in one of those door jam bouncers, and he looooves it. Now all he wants to do is bounce! When I'm holding him on my lap, I hold him under the armpits and he can happily just go upanddownandupanddownandupanddownandupanddown basically until he gets tired or hungry.

He's starting to sit up more and more- he is definitely using his hands to support himself but also can't sit up reliably on his own at all. I usually try to spend part of the day with him sitting inside my legs on the floor, or leaning him up against something else, where I can help catch him when he faceplants but he gets sitting practice.

The mirror is getting to be a hit now, so we frequently sit in front of a floor length mirror and I point at his reflection and say his name, and my reflection and say my name, over and over which he likes. (As a side note, my mother in law had a lot of fun putting her kids in front of the mirror and basically asked us every time we saw her from about 6 weeks on if he liked looking at himself in the mirror yet- at that age, he would look at my reflection in the mirror and seemed to recognize me, but had no interest in his own reflection until very recently. It definitely wasn't an entertainment activity until at least 3 months, more so in the last two weeks.)

He also babbles so much lately. He loves when I sing to him (this is pretty much our failsafe when he's getting really upset) and I frequently read to him, which ranges from enjoyment to tolerating. So far I have almost exclusively read out loud books that I'm reading anyway, but he's starting to grab at things more, so maybe he would enjoy board books that he can grab, especially those ones that have different textures in them.

For the first few months, I took him outside on a long walk in a baby wrap every single day, either just around our neighborhood/big park near our house, or to a museum, or on errands that I would walk or public transit to. This was half as a way for me to get outside and get some exercise, and half to combat afternoon crankiness, because he would usually fall asleep within half a block. Lately I haven't felt like going on long walks as much- I probably still should do it more than I have been, because it's good for ME too, but I'm feeling lazy and also it's supposed to be thunderstormy with a high of 93 today, so that may not happen. We have also spent some extended time hanging out outside on a blanket in the grass on nice afternoons; he really enjoys feeling breeze on his face, watching the leaves rustle in the breeze and reflect the sunlight.

Like I said, he's been grabbing at things more- he really likes grabbing and sucking on fabric. He doesn't seem to care about different textures of fabric. He sometimes will grab at toys but more often he doesn't care about them. Even when he does grab at them, he grabs and then drops them almost immediately.

We still try to do tummy time regularly but I've never been good at doing it every day because he haaaates it. We can usually get a few minutes out of it at most- it seems like it takes more time to set up a spot on the floor to do it, than he will actually tolerate it for. He will tolerate it slightly more now if I prop his chest up on the boppy. I try to engage him in playing while tummy time-ing, but since he's not all that interested in toys yet, I don't know how to do this very well.

So anyway, he is getting more fun, and also I'm starting to feel like there's more I should be DOING with him. Up until this point, the majority of our time during the day he would just sleep or nurse, and I just carted him along with me to whatever I wanted to do for the most part. I'm definitely going to read through the link of developmental play ideas, but would also love to hear any other suggestions for things your own kids particularly enjoyed at this stage.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 2:17 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

glad to hear he's doing so well!
not sure what else you can do that you aren't already doing.

as far as grabbing and letting go i think the ability to close their fist and hold things comes a little bit later than the grabbing part. even if he doesnt seem interested in different textures or seem to differentiate between them i would still offer different textured things to feel or probably run them on his skin. it may interest him even if he doesnt react or seem interested. 4 months is still so young he may like it or find it interesting but might not know how to communicate that back yet. or maybe he could care less at the moment but maybe soon he might like it.

different sensory type stuff is just good for the wee ones.

and yeah the walks are great too though i used a stroller in the summer for the reason you pointed out about not wanting to baby wear in the heat.

i started taking BP to story time at the library around 6 months just for something to do. ive seen people at various story times with tiny babies. the ones ive been to for babies/really young ones is stories, songs, and finger play.
it's basically just something to do.

at that age all they really need is just to hang out with you.
it can be boring though.
BabyPunk liked laying on her back on our couch and kicking her legs and generally thrashing around like an upturned turtle.

i liked really simple board books at that age. like the ones where it's like one picture per page.

(one page) dog
(another page) cat
or we had some vegetable and fruit ones that were the same but veggies/fruits

summer is nice because if you have anything like a public pool or a beach near you you could go stick his toes in sand or water.
we have a public pool in our town and it only goes to like 2-3 feet deep and it starts at literally like a centimeter deep so BP was older when i started taking her (probably a year) but she liked sitting in the water and splashing.