| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Feeding Toddlers is Mind Blowingly Annoying Part 2
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:34 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Ariann wrote:
I know I sometimes get into "you have to eat you have to eat you have to eat" mode with Malka and what helps us is to do a better job of enforcing "eating zones." That is, now is breakfast time, we are not doing anything but sitting at the table. You can eat breakfast or not, whether you eat and what you eat of what's being offered is totally up to you, but this will be the time breakfast is consumed. If you don't want to eat breakfast you will have an opportunity for a snack in two hours. Then repeat for snack time, lunch time, snack time, dinner time, bedtime snack (assumption being she will only eat during 2-4 of these slots, but you can sit down with a small plate of carrot sticks or something and model sitting down and eating for her). You then don't have to do a bunch of work enforcing it because this is the only time you're making food available, you're not chasing her all over the house offering food. You do have to make her sit down for it, though, or at least be in the same room as you and not playing.

We do the same thing. I actually wrote down the times for each meal and snack and hung it on the wall to make sure my partner/grandparents/etc also follow the designated times sitting at the table (or sitting on a bench at the playground, picnic blanket, etc.)

I can understand how it would be too scary to impose limits on eating with a child that has eating issues. I'm sure the OT has more/better info on this than rando internet strangers. I do recommend Love and Logic for Toddlers if you are looking for a book to help with avoiding power struggles.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:19 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I just want to add that I have massive anxiety about if babynut is eating enough which developed from my experience with her extremely slow weigh gain as a baby. It's really hard for me to handle my fears about hunger and also over feeding. Feeding issues are so stressful. Please feel free to vent because you are not the only one!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:03 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Feeding is still a major issue in our house too. Giles has gotten into a habit of doing a "drive-by" at dinner where he looks and if it doesn't look good he just ignores the table altogether and if he likes something he takes it and carries it off into another room. I was just so happy he was eating anything I wasn't enforcing WHERE he was eating it, but there are so many things wrong with him taking his food into another room (not learning table manners, not socializing with us, not seeing healthy eating modeled, not having an opportunity to practice with his utensils) How do you make them sit at the table? Just keep putting them back in their seat?
And when can they get up and leave? do they have to wait until everyone is done?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:35 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Jonah prefers to wander around with his food, too. Our strategy is to take away the food and tell him he has to eat at the table if he's hungry. He tries to wander around at school, too.

We make Jonah stay at the table if it's a normal meal. If we have guests and sit around a long time, we let him get down and play.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:36 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

im going to look up that book butternut, thanks! most of our day is a giant power struggle. she is such an unbelievably strong willed child.
yesterday she finally made up a bit for her lack of eating. she finished a quarter of a pbj from the previous day then ate another half a pbj. then she asked me for more but after i made it she decided she was done but later in the day she ate the other half. later in the day she ate an entire stick of tofu i had baked except the last bite. so i think it was probably like the size of a fish stick (bad example i know) but maybe thinner. like a really fat french fry ;-) i think she also ate yogurt.

she's really big on a visual rather than a question. today she didnt eat a ton at breakfast and we had to go to our OT eval for 10:30 so i showed her a pb packet and asked her if she wanted it and she ate the rest of what was in it.

setting times for her doesnt really work because she just wont eat. i read part of that It's Not About the Broccoli book which i know talks about the eating zones and i had to return it to the library because i realized it didnt apply to our situation. i think the stuff in it is great but we are in the minority of kids it wont work for. we were even talking about it at Early Intervention one day and the people there said those strategies work for 99% of kids (we were mainly talking about the concept that a kid wont starve themselves and they will eat eventually) but those of us there had the kids in the 1%. :-(

one of the things she will eat lately is oatmeal. either regular rolled oats or overnight soaked steel cut oats. which is great except she will eat a ton then want more then she gets really constipated.
AHHHHH

annasrobbie im not sure of a good answer. since BP has eating issues we have never forced her to sit at the table. especially back when just the presence of food was an issue. now we ask her to sit at the table with us for dinner time but when she says she's done and wants to get down we let her. since she basically doesnt feed herself the wandering around eating isnt an issue for us but she does want to eat at our coffee table a lot which means me sititng on the couch feeding her. so i guess that's our version of wandering around eating. if im also eating i tell her we have to sit at the table (because i hate sitting on the couch trying to eat and feed her and then have 2 dogs begging me too)
now that she is eating a bit better i try to push more for sitting at the table but i dont make a huge deal out of it because like i said above our whole day is a big power struggle.
i guess i would suggest trying the idea of if he wants to eat he has to sit at the table with everyone and my guess is maybe for a couple days he wont eat much but then in theory he'll get it (i say this knowing full well my kid would be the one not to eat). we let BP get down from the table when she says she's done and wants to get down. usually she stays for most of the meal. how old is Giles? he's like 3.5 right? if they were older i would say sitting til everyone was done would be an ok idea but i dunno i feel like that's probably hard for toddlers.
we dont let BP have toys at the table because it's far too distracting for her but there are days when it becomes an issue so we let her put a toy either in her high chair with her or sit it on the table (she cant play with it but it can be there). is there anyting he could bring to the table that might make sitting at the table enticing?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:49 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

A friend of mine would sometimes feed her daughter in the bath when she was a toddler. The warm water calmed her and helped her eat more. Bonus: clean up is very easy. This is not encouraging "proper" eating habits obviously, but they were doing all they could to get their daughter to eat on doctor's orders.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:39 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Please tell me at some point children stop throwing food everywhere.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com