| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How to get 4 year old off dairy?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:47 am 
Tofu Pup

Hello all.
I'm new to this site/forum. I became a vegan about 6 months and the experience has been nothing short of wonderful. It's truly one of the best decisions I've ever made and, with that, I want to pass along all the benefits of this lifestyle to my 4 year old daughter. Unfortunately, she's currently a dairy junkie. Loves her yogurt. Loves cheese sticks. Loves, loves, loves milk.

I've tried switching her to rice, almond, and coconut milk so far without the slightest bit of success. She hates all three. I've tried soy yogurt and coconut milk yogurt. Thumbs down to those as well.

To make matters more complicated, my husband is NOT a vegetarian, so there will continue to be dairy products in the house for his consumption regardless. If I'm going to switch her over to a more vegan lifestyle, I need dairy alternatives - and they need to be one's she'll actually like.

Any suggestions?

Post subject: Re: How to get 4 year old off dairy?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:06 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

We are a vegan and vegetarian household. I'm vegan and my husband and kids (5 and 2) are vegetarian. My husband was a meat eater when my kids were both born so we compromised to have them vegetarian which he is now one. When my daughter was 4 years old I was comfortable enough to let her make her own decisions on what she wants to eat. She's been told where certain foods come from and so forth. If she wants to start eating meat then she is allowed to...although thankfully she's disgusted by the thought!

Would you be comfortable with explaining to her about animals products and letting her make her own choice? What does her father think of her being a vegan? What about if he is eating a cheese pizza in front of her and she wants it?

The only real suggestions I have is to keep trying different brands of dairy alternatives and don't push her into it. If you push her to be vegan she will push back and refuse. Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:23 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

What brands/kinds of alternative milks have you offered? Dairy milk has a fair amount of naturally occurring sugars in it, so the unsweetened plant milks are really bland in comparison. Since dairy milk has 12g of sugar per cup, that's what I use as my frame of reference for plant milks. I give ones with less than 12g of sugar per cup for drinking, but not completely unsweetened. Also, do you have a good blender? We make our own almond milk sometimes, and it's awesome. I do add some maple syrup and a touch of vanilla to boost the flavor, and DS recently requested a little cinnamon on it. She can also help you make it, which I know always gets my kids more interested in eating things.

Also, I have yet to find a melty vegan cheese I like and I'm not a huge fan of nutritional yeast. The VegNews macaroni and cheese is by far my favorite vegan mac and cheese, and there is no nutritional yeast. Make that for her. Try the vegetarian times almond feta. I actually skip the herb oil most times and mix in some dried herbs to make a spreadable cheese. That on some french bread with fruits and veggies is one of my favorite meals. My kids love stuffed shells made with tofu and cashew cream ricotta. My point is to go for the dairy replacements that are closer to the original, rather than the melty cheeses that are the hardest to replicate.

And lastly, neither of my kids are vegan. DD is vegetarian and DS eats fish occasionally, but is otherwise vegetarian. I take a harm reduction approach. Just try to slowly shift her away by offering alternatives. Even if she just replaces some of her dairy consumption with non-dairy alternatives, that is better than nothing.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:53 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Daiya daiya daiya! Have you tried it yet? I've given it to quite a few omni family members and they like it.

Another milk you could try is pacific brand oat milk. My son absolutely loves it! We go to Canada 1 or 2 times a year to visit family and they don't sell it there, and he won't drink anything else. So maybe there is something special about it? I think it is pretty sweet but it does have a surprisingly good serving of protein.