| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lunch Boxes!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:26 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Iz is going into kindergarten this fall - only about six weeks away. We're trying to get ready to make the transition as smooth as possible, because I know it will be a lot for him to get used to. Anyway, so we're thinking about getting him a nice new lunchbox, since his last one got lost. Does anyone have a favourite? We are kind of leaning toward something like these: http://www.lunchbots.com/ Metal containers with a plastic lid.
What do you all use for school/daycare/trips out during the day?

(He has a small appetite, and the kindergarten teachers have stressed that most of the kids don't eat a ton during the day, because they simply eat so slowly. I'm not looking for a very large lunchbox!)

Post subject: Re: Lunch Boxes!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:44 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I really like the Laptop Lunches for myself, because I like the removable containers and the way you can swap out different sizes and with/without lids, but I'm not sure if it's bigger than what you're looking for.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:49 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Planet Box! We got one for Reno last year when she started Kindergarten and it's great! They just came out with a smaller version for smaller appetites. The one pictured is now there mid sized one i guess. I fill it and Reno usually ate most of it because she had lunch and snack that I provided.

Here are some links to blog post about her lunch so you can see what it looks like full of food.

http://good-good-things.com/2012/09/school-lunch-roundup/

http://good-good-things.com/2012/09/school-lunch-roundup-917-921/

I can't recommend this lunch boxes enough! Everyone I know who uses one is so happy with it. It's a bit pricy but it will last her for a long time and I can alway's pass it down to my son in a few years.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:30 am 
***LIES!!!***

Holy crepe that is an expensive lunch box! Are those lids attached to the top of the container or do they come off? Does it seal well?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:40 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

The lids on the smaller containers come completely off. The lid on the main box is attached and it does seal pretty well. If you are using anything liquidy you would put in in the smaller containers which fit inside the main lunch box. In my opinion it is worth the price. It will last her and Miles way longer then any other lunch box. You also aren't using any plastic bags or any other throw away type things so you save there also.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:53 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Thanks for the ideas! I leaning toward either the Planet Box or the LunchBot. I really like the different sized sections of the Planet Box, and yeah, like JENNA said, it will last for a long time and there won't be tons of bags or tiny plastic containers to wash up. My younger son is about four years younger, so by the time it stops working well for Iz to take it, Zeph will probably be ready to use it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:58 am 
Semen Strong

If it helps at all, our swimming instructor was between PB and the LB and went with the PB and loves it. Like JENNA she feels like it is perfect for her daughter and her daughter loves it. She bought it because she often has to bring her daughter's dinner as well, and the PB is just the perfect size for both meals.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:25 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Yeah you'll find yourself using it at other times besides for school.

The website had videos on it and I let Reno watch them before we bought it and it made her really excited about getting it by seeing other kid using it. She loves the magnets to stick on it and change it up with new ones. I'm getting her new magnets for it for her birthday at the end of August.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:34 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I love the PlanetBox as well! I actually looked into it after seeing it on JENNA's Instagram! I've been sending it to school with Henry since he was about a year or so, and I'm hoping to use it all the way through preschool. Those silicone muffin liners go perfectly in there so you can divide up the sections further, plus it makes it look adorable. My only thing is, the carry bag ripped fairly soon after getting it. Customer service was great and sent me a new free one immediately, which also ripped within three days. So I gave up and just use it ripped.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:55 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Yeah the carry bag could be better. Reno's made it through the whole school year before it showed wear and tear. Its still usable but it is filthy! It's not planet boxes problem that it's filthy it's the schools problem. They make all the kids put there lunch in a giant bin so everyone's lunch is leaking all over. Its so gross. I found out that Reno alway's puts hers in first so our 6th grade neighbor advised her to wait until everyone else does. I might request that she not have to put it in the bin this year. Its so dumb! Why can't they put it with there backpacks? Because of this I might be getter her a black bag this year instead of reusing the turquoise one pictured above.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:05 pm 
Chip Strong

Many, many years ago when I was in elementary school we had to put our lunches in a box because we had recess before lunch. Someone would bring the box to the cafeteria so that when we came in from recess, straight into the lunchroom, the lunches would be there.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:04 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I used to pack a lot of lunches for my husband, especially when he'd have duty days (ie 36 hours at work). Needless to say he eats a lot more than a kindergartner so I found myself having to send multiple items most of the time!! I really love Mr. Bento. They have a few versions of different sizes, but it holds quite a bit and has some containers that are actually well sealed and the whole thing is enclosed enough that we haven't had problems with leaks.

We also have Laptop Lunch boxes, which work fairly well with dry foods and would be more suited to smaller appetites..And their soup container works decently well, too, as does the insulated klean kanteen we got from Powell's, I should order more of those.. As long as you don't fill either too close to the top, both are excellent for keeping beverages or liquids in.

I have a couple of bento-type plastic boxes I picked up at Mitsuwa or Hmart, and those work really well for smaller quantities (though I wouldn't count on them remaining water tight). Often if I have something that's potentially spill-y I will put a layer of press and seal on it before the lid, and then at least it's leak-safe on the journey TO work.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:10 pm 
Nooch of Earl

We used to have recess after lunch and our backpacks stayed back in our home rooms or lockers, so we did the bin o' lunchboxes thing in elementary school for logistical reasons. But back in my day we just had plastic clamshell lunch boxes with a sticker of our favorite character or whatever on it. I grew up in a fairly well-to-do suburb, but when I was a kid nobody got expensive stainless steel lunch containers. Kids definitely seem to be trusted with nicer 'stuff' these days then when I was growing up.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:39 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I make my students put their lunches on a shelf instead of in the backpack for logistics, but that leaky bin sounds like a mess! Surely the teachers can figure out a better way of organizing that.

I like that you don't have all the lids to keep up with like you do with the laptop lunchbox. And plastic stuff always gets ruined in my dishwasher so I'm attracted to the stainless steel.

Those planet boxes look good for air travel. Are they a pain with security?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:49 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

annak wrote:
I grew up in a fairly well-to-do suburb, but when I was a kid nobody got expensive stainless steel lunch containers. Kids definitely seem to be trusted with nicer 'stuff' these days then when I was growing up.

When we were kids did expensive stainless steel lunch containers even exist? :)

Butternut...we've never taken ours through security so I don't know.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:02 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I don't even know!! Well, when my sister was little the lunchboxes were steel I think, or aluminum maybe, and that predated plastic.

But you know the Gladware (or whatever it was) commercial where the mother handcuffs the kid to the expensive tupperware container? That would've been me. I still get reminded to this DAY about things I lost that cost, like, $10. There's no way I would've gotten within 10 feet of any of these modern lunch sets! Though I love them and can't wait to send a little lunch off with V every day!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:25 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I think since I walk Reno to and from school that I don't mind the expense of the box because she can't leave it on a bus or anything. She can't even leave it in school. No one can use lunch boxes on field trips. I also tell her if she breaks or loses it she will buy a new one with her own money.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:21 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I have a couple random no name "bento box" thingies my mom found for kai. They're plastic (bpa free of course), which probably isn't the greatest but I needed something they could microwave at day care. I wanted some with 3 or 4 compartments but could only them with 2. (I considered the laptop lunches but I don't like they're all separate - this is too much for daycare to think about - I needed it all in one.) I've found that silicone baking cups make awesome dividers. I just put his ketchup in one and veggies in another, place those in the main compartment with his protein and then starcy side in the other compartment and it works out great. That container goes into a soft thermos brand thomas the tank engine lunch box.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:39 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Okay, not lunch boxes, but this is the most relevent thread...I got some amazon vouchers for doing surveys and was thinking of splurging on these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stainless-Steel-Snacks-Salver-Compartment/dp/B00D12DJOI/

or these, which I like better, but they cost a ton more: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stainless-Steel-Square-Compartment-Breakfast/dp/B005CHEGSI/

Compartment trays! They're unbreakable and better than plastic. I have some tiny enamelware dishes that I love (and you can put them right in the oven or on the stovetop!), but they have gotten some chips from the kids dropping and throwing them. These are pretty much kid-proof, though. I'm thinking of getting 6. Am I nuts?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:55 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

You aren't nuts at all! I always wanted plates/trays like that!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:26 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

We have a compartment plate. It is SO awesome. Ours looks like this:
eating dinner.
and we found it in a boutique somewhere. Anyway, it's served us so well. I would like to get a second one so both of my kids have one.

I think the ones you're looking at are perfect! I'd get 6 if I were you too! Not nuts at all.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:35 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Awesome! Sometimes I think I'm overdoing it when I come up with crazy ideas like this, although I've had my eye on compartment trays for a long time and it still seems like a nice idea.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:46 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

TheCrabbyCrafter wrote:
Awesome! Sometimes I think I'm overdoing it when I come up with crazy ideas like this, although I've had my eye on compartment trays for a long time and it still seems like a nice idea.

Yeah, it's really nice. It gets me to remember to include more variety, because sometimes it's easy not to. I thought it might be overdoing it or just kind of silly, but it's been quite helpful. Also for portion sizes/meal proportions.