| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I need some picky toddler advice/support
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:44 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

So my son is so picky right now. It is driving me nuts. I know there is already a picky toddler thread but I need some specific advice or maybe just ways for ME to relax about it. Right now all he eats are
boca chik patties
smart dogs
beans and rice with tomatoes
cheerios
strawberries
blueberries
bananas
pasta with a specific sauce only with nooch mixed in.
raisons
regular French fries or sweet potato fries
applesauce or those pouch things with mixed fruit/veggies
coconut milk yogurt
various sweet things such as clif kids bars, annies bunnies but I don't count any of that stuff as "stuff he will eat" because it has very little nutrition

That is pretty much it. He does take a chewable vitamin that he loves so that isn't a problem. My biggest concern is trying to get him to eat different things and him not touching it then not eating. If he doesn't eat he becomes pretty uncontrollable and/or wont sleep well at night. I have been trying to give him a fruit and cereal breakfast every morning. He used to eat toast with hummus or sunbutter but he will no longer eat bread. Lunch is pretty much leftovers of what he wouldn't eat the night before and if he wont touch that, he gets boca or the dogs. But it seems like he eats that every day. Dinner is whatever I make. He eats it or he doesn't. What I am at a loss about is what to give him if he doesn't eat it. do I give in and give him pasta every night or boca and dogs for every meal. We go out at least once a week and he usually eats either plain black beans, some pasta dish or French fries if we go out.

I need advice of new things to try, ways to introduce things so he might be more likely to eat it etc... He does try most everything I give him. He will stare at it for 10 min, whine and complain then stick his tongue on it and then usually not eat it. I think he is too young to really explain that he needs to eat what I give him or he won't eat, he just asks and asks for food and has terrible tantrums if I don't feed him something he likes eventually. He is 20 months.

Post subject: Re: I need some picky toddler advice/support
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:49 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

This is not very helpful, but in comparison to the toddlers I take care of that list looks HUGE, if that makes you feel any better!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:04 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

writing it out, it seems bigger than I expected it to be but it certainly doesn't feel very big on a day to day basis when trying to figure out what to feed him.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:21 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I deal with a lot of the same stuff, and the only thing I've found that really makes a difference is making sure they get hungry between meals (I don't offer snacks to the twin who's not severely underweight unless she actually tells me she wants to eat), and just trying not to stress about it myself, which is way easier said than done. I try to consider it a good day if a whole grain, something with protein and a fruit or vegetable have been consumed. Most toddlers are super picky and most grow out of it someday and don't end up horribly malnourished. Or at least that's what I try and tell myself when all the food is on the floor and both kids are crying because I put sauce on the noodle and they wanted plain noodles without sauce!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:45 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

dude, that list is FINE. hah. it's really really fine.

feed him the same thing everyday, if that's what it takes. as long as he's getting a veggie, a fruit, a whole grain, a protein and a fat, he's good. it's really ok if that veggie is the same mixed in puree every day.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:46 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

like, if he likes those veggie pouches, he'll probably like pureed spinach or broccoli or zucchini mixed with other things.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:51 pm 
***LIES!!!***

That list looks a lot like what we've got going on over here, except she won't eat fruit/veg purees, beans and rice that are touching each other, or french fries (what the fork kid).

[/unhelpful]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:15 pm 
Married to the wolfman

tank wrote:
writing it out, it seems bigger than I expected it to be but it certainly doesn't feel very big on a day to day basis when trying to figure out what to feed him.

The Magician (18 months) has a list roughly the same size, and I feel you. It really doesn't seem like much variety on a day to day basis.

Most of the time I just offer him stuff even though I don't expect him to eat it. There is really no way with my limited time resources (not to mention food costs, and managing the tastes of everyone else in the house) that I can cater to him specifically and/or make him his own meal. Last night (after he actually ate half an avocado-- a food I've been offering him literally for a year that he has finally decided to try and now really loves) he was just going "eat? eat? please?" like an hour after dinner and it was too much, I gave him a snack. But mostly I try to just offer and trust that if he is REALLY hungry, he will try some of whatever and that he is not going to starve to death from one missed meal.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:49 pm 
Semen Strong

I like the idea of offering good food and leaving it up to them as to whether they accept or reject it, provided obviously that they are generally in pretty good health and hitting all their milestones. Because she is growing well and doing fine, I don't keep track of what she eats, because I think it would drive me batty. She is generally not very picky, but its not like she eats everything I give her (generally spicy food gets rejected, but that makes sense to me).

We generally offer rice and beans, noochy sauce on veggies, dumplings, blended fruit smoothie popsicles, lightlife hot dogs, veggie burgers of any description, avocado, pretzels, peanut butter sandwiches, any sort of soup ideally with rice in it, pasta with nooch and butter, lentils, baked potatoes, etc. She isn't a fan of salads. She loves ice-cream and I do let her have it, so that is my parenting fail.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:40 pm 
Nooch of Earl

That list looks pretty similar to ours right now. I keep offering, though I will admit that it is so damned frustrating to make something special for her and then have it get rejected. A lot of times lately she refuses to even try something. Anything with tomato sauce is just...well. offensive to even ASK her to eat. I was pretty pissed when I bought one of those Elmo pasta with marinara sauce and vegetables dinners and she wouldn't even touch it. Frickin' elmo pasta and the little nose was turned up. (obVeg: I think it's fine but was lazy about looking up a couple unfamiliar vitamin/mineral compounds so do your own homework before attempting to repeplicate my toddler rejection disaster)

Actually the one thing that is, weirdly, kind of a huge hit is amy's refried beans. I like that they're vegetarian but not fat free like a lot of brands are. Other than that, the best bets for protein are tofu scramble, spoonfuls of peanut butter (that's our "i'm not a short order chef" backup when she doesn't like something), and gardein orange chickenless. Clearly I'm not exactly winning at food.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:23 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Those Amy's refried beans are our backup food for when I have no time/energy to cook. And yes, if she hates whatever I have served, peanut butter or hummus are the last resort offers, but usually I don't worry about it. I figure she will eat when she's hungry.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:42 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I would KILL if Miles ate 1/2 of what your son is eating tank! :) KILL!

He is so super picky now. This is a kid who would shovel kale down his gullet whenever I made it and also eat curries and my rice and beans. He will now only eat his Nonna's rice and beans.

If he refuses dinner we go the hummus or pb route also.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:24 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

You guys don't know how glad I am to hear all this. I keep thinking that he would eat more if he wasn't vegan. Not like I would change that unless medically necessary (which is just silly in itself) I know it is common for toddlers to be picky but I was still a bit worried. Just glad I can get in him what I can I guess. He did lick the hummus off his toast this morning which he had been refusing lately. Still no bread which is surprising to me. How can you not like bread kid?!?!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:55 am 

Ditto to all of the above. If a one year old eats a dozen different things, that's not too unusual. Definitely keep offering new things, maybe just one or two at a time though. You might be surprised what he ends up trying if you're nonchalant about it. F's really in the phase of trying stuff but then not liking it much of the time, but we've been trying to offering some positive words for her just trying it. Occasionally, she has something that just looks so good (red pepper, for instance) that she has to try it multiple times even though she doesn't like it once it's in her mouth. It's sorta funny, but I'm really glad that she's becoming better about trying new things.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:35 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

tank i forgot to say something:

if your little one like to eat rice and beans what i do is finely grate carrots and zucchini with a box grater and cook them into the rice and beans. They basically melt away and get some veggies into the kids...well now just Reno since Miles refuses to eat them now. :)

also try pesto. my kids love it and I almost always do 1/2 basil and 1/2 of another green like spinach or arugula.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:54 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

good idea JENNA. thanks

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:05 am 

Yep, we're having similar problems with my son too (who will turn 3 in a few weeks). It seems the list of things he eats keeps getting smaller. It is driving me crazy! In fact that is what I'm doing this morning, scouring this site and my recipe books for new things he'll like because I am so sick of making the same dinners.

Btw, what chewable vitamins are you giving him? We used to do powdered ones in his oatmeal, but he won't eat oatmeal anymore so we need a new vitamin.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:29 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

We were using the veglife ones. I ordered them off amazon. The most recent ones I bought are animal parade. They say vegetarian and contain no allergens like dairy or eggs but don't say vegan but we ran out so just bought those. He loves them. Begs for them everyday. It is so weird having an extremely picky toddler who begs for his vitamin!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:11 pm 

We do the veglife one, too. She BEGS for it. I asked my husband yesterday if he had tried one yet to see what all the fuss is about. I'm close to trying it myself. It's funny that she now says, "just one" over and over again while she is eating it (that's what I kept saying throughout the initial begging period).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:52 am 

Thanks! Turns out those veglife ones have soy protein in them, go figure. I ended up ordering the organic yummi bears, hopefully he'll like them!

I just thought of a suggestion for you while making my son's lunch right now. He loves the Baked Crispy Chickpea Seitan Patties fro m The Great Vegan Bean Book. You can get the recipe from the look inside the book feature on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/The-Great-Vegan-B ... 1592335497

They're basically like chickpea cutlets except they have breading. Since your kid likes boca chick patties he might like these. I put a little tomato sauce on them & some daiya then broil it in the toaster oven for a few minutes to make "pizza cutlet" and he gobbles it up every time. It is one of his major protein sources right now!

The nice thing is they freeze really well too. So I make a big batch and just take one cutlet out the night before to thaw in the fridge. Then broil it in the morning to pack for his lunch like I'm doing now.

Oddly enough I made the seitan of greatness this week and he likes it. I put bits of it in a quesadilla on Tues and yesterday he had it on a roll with a slice of provolone daiya. Though I guess that doesn't help much if your kid doesn't like bread right now! Maybe he'd like a tortilla?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:13 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

thanks for the idea. He is actually back on bread. I think I just had to buy a different kind.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:36 am 
***LIES!!!***

Definitely going to make those chickpea seitan things, aubade!

Malka has become even more picky and even less interested in eating. She has had nothing but soy milk the past three days. Argh.

We just started her on chewable vitamins, she seems to like them.