| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Meet BabyMitten!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:29 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Wow, how awesome. Thanks for sharing your new joy and I hope you the best!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:20 am 
Built this city on rock and roll

Congratulations MittenMacher! I am so glad to hear Walter is feeling better. He is adorable.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:36 am 
Seagull of the PPK

Congratulations and i'm glad to hear that your situation is improving.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:16 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

A www, too cute. So glad he's feeling better!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:10 pm 
Bought a crop of bad girls

he is so cute! I am glad he is going better

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:56 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

so glad to hear he's improving! he is SO cute!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:35 pm 
Bought a wardrobe full of Affliction t-shirts

congratulations!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:25 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

What a handsome baby!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:24 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

what a beautiful baby. Love his name too! congrats!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:31 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Oh mitten, he is absolutely beautiful. Congratulations! I'm so sorry for all the complications.
Please let me know anything - ANYTHING - at all. Having a NICU baby plus a complicated birth is not fun at all. If you need to talk, just let me know. Enjoy your beautiful new baby!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:52 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

He's beautiful! I'm so sorry to hear about the rough beginning. Best wishes to you this week, as he comes home!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:35 pm 
Semen Strong

I keep coming back for babymitten updates and photos! Hope you were able to have a wonderful first thanksgiving together. You're in our thoughts <3

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:46 pm 
Ate all the pumpkin seeds

Congrats, Mittenmacher! He's adorable.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:04 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Congratulations!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:47 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

He's asleep on my lap on my couch right now! We got to take him home this morning, but we have to bring him back tomorrow for blood work and see where we stand. His busted lung fixed itself, and we are really getting the hang of breastfeeding so his blood sugar and fluids are up. Now the doctors are concerned about jaundice, which is very common in newborns, but I guess his is serious enough that they might have to put him under phototherapy for 24 hours, depending on tomorrow's bloodwork. It's a pain in the asparagus trying to establish breastfeeding when you are separated from your 4 day old baby, but I am choosing not to worry about it. It's awesome being home and in our own environment. Walt is more relaxed and crying less, probably because his parents are more relaxed. :)

I haven't posted about the birth because I don't want to scare Pinko and the other soon-to-be-moms. My water broke at 4am on Tuesday, which was supposed to be my last day of work. I was laying in bed awake and whoosh! Because my amniotic sack was broken and I'd tested positive for group B strep I had to go into the hospital right away to start an antibiotic drip.

I wasn't having contractions so the nurse midwife wanted to start pitocin. I declined and walked up and down the halls instead. I got contractions going on my own, and by mid-afternoon I was in active labor. At 6 or 7cm I got in the shower, which was wonderful. My hospital doesn't have tubs, but the jet of water on my lower back made such a difference.

I was doing well, dilating at a good pace, expecting to have the urge to push by 8 or 9pm. I knew I was in transition when I could barely breathe through the contractions and I was moaning naked on all fours, completely oblivious to everyone around me. I kept telling myself that feeling like I couldn't take it anymore meant I was almost ready to push. I kept telling myself just a few more contractions and I'd be 10cm and want to push. And then I got stuck. I was at 9cm, in mind-blowing pain, for 3 hours. I didn't feel like pushing, I just wanted to die. I couldn't breathe, I was completely rigid. I hadn't wanted any pain meds, but after my 4th or 5th cervical check with no progress, I gave up. I was in so much pain I thought I was going to lose consciousness, and it was totally unproductive. So when the on-call OB said it wasn't too late for an epidural, I caved.

The epidural allowed me to catch my breath and relax my muscles. Unfortunately it also slowed and weakened my contractions. So then, because my water had broken 20 hours ago and they were concerned about infection, I had pitocin. Then, because I couldn't feel my pelvic muscles my pushes weren't effective and Walter's got stuck about 4 inches from the outside world. He couldn't stay there and he couldn't go back up, so the doctor cut an episiotomy and pulled him out with the vacuum extractor. Because he was pulled out so quickly, I tore beyond the episiotomy and had third degree tears. Also Walter apparently raked his fingernails down the inside of my vagina, so I was shredded in there, too. Thanks, buddy.

After he was born he was on my stomach for a minute, but when his breathing was labored they took him away to the NICU and I didn't get to see him until 3 hours later, after I'd been sewn up. We didn't get to breastfeed or be skin-to-skin. I was exhausted and confused and it felt wrong going back to my postpartum room without a baby.

So the first 16 hours of my labor were pretty empowering, but the last 4 and the birth itself were grueling. As unhappy as I am about how things went down, I feel okay about my decisions. Yes, the epidural led to a cascade of other interventions, but after 3 hours of transition I'd reached the limits of my body's ability to cope with pain. I honestly believe I would have passed out if I'd kept going, and then I would have ended up in an emergency c-section. Knowing what I know now, maybe I should have started the pitocin earlier in the day so I would't get so exhausted. But I would have second-guessed myself then, too. So I don't feel bad about anything. I'm on the mend and Walter can breathe well and we are all at home.

In this picture he's wearing a cuff that measures blood oxygen, but I just love his little baby fingers:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:50 pm 
Waited in a line late at night for some stuff

What a rough time! *hugs* We all have our battle scars from birth.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:58 pm 
Semen Strong

Wow! Hugs to you - you're incredible! And those little baby fingers are amazing <3

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:58 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Congratulations!! What a handsome little guy! He'll get stronger with each day. Please give us updates!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:59 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Mitten,

i am so happy that you guys are home and Walt had improved so much.

my son had horrible jaundice and they did the lights and stuff, didn't do much until my midwife said breast feeding was the best thing for it, and we started feeding every 2 hours 24 hours a day. it cleared up. Also, ask if they have this light pad that you can put inside his clothes and hold and nurse him while he gets treatment if they decide he does need photo therapy.

finally, thank you for sharing your birth story. it sounds like you make the best possible decisions in the situation that could be made. You did what needed to be done. it takes time to heal from the birth mentally as well as physically, and you will.

Enjoy your time nesting with Walt and Mr Mitten, i am so glad you guys are home and can start enjoying eachother without the medical people popping in. We are thinking of you all.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:02 am 
WELFARIST!

He's just beautiful! Congratulations! I'm sorry about the hard time, but sounds like you're happy to be home now with your beautiful baby!!! <3 <3 <3

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:38 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

All I can say is wow and congratulations! Welcome little Thanksvegan baby!

For a looooong time, my ONLY daydream was of going to a salon by myself. When I finally did manage it, I was like, do whatever you want to my hair, just don't scream at me, vomit on me, or gnaw on my boobs. - coldandsleepy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:30 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Mitten, you are amazing. You did everything exactly right, please don't second guess yourself. It'll be hard not to rehash everything in the next couple of weeks, but you did everything exactly right for yourself and Walter and that's what matters!
Were you happy with the hospital experience? I know there's been a lot of nurse issues up there, and I'm not sure if the strike is still going on. I was hoping so hard that it would affect your birth.
I'm so glad your home! The NICU is a horrible place to bond with your baby. Enjoy every moment! (even the crappily exhausted ones.)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:20 am 
Be afraid... be very afraid

Congratulations! He is such a lovely little fellow!
No second guessing yourself - just rest, heal, and enjoy Baby Mitten!
Hugs!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:23 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

What a beautiful boy!! So sorry you had to go through that! Epidurals do crazy things to your body. When I had mine, it made my blood pressure drop dangerously low. It also made it so I couldn't feel my contractions so they ended up turning it off anyway!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:40 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Beautiful and adorable (also, great name)! In my experience, childbirth rarely goes as we planned/hoped/expected; the important thing is that Walter arrived safely, and that you are both well. Congratulations to you, and to your wonderful, newly expanded family!

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next