| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Weird Thanksgiving Homework
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:09 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I don't know if this goes in vegan pet peeves or here, but since it's kid specific, I thought I'd post here. My daughter came home with a homework assignment to "give a disguise to a turkey who is trying to hide so he doesn't get eaten on Thanksgiving." It's a coloring page, but they can glue any additional materials on for the disguise. How do they not see that this is really weird to personify a turkey and say he does not want to be eaten, and then all go home and eat a turkey? I really wanted to just draw our house around him and say he didn't need a disguise with us, but I didn't. Mostly because they would have known she didn't do it herself.

She had another coloring sheet with a pilgrim riding a turkey who looked worried. I can't wait to see what comes home in the next few weeks.

Post subject: Re: Weird Thanksgiving Homework
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:21 pm 
***LIES!!!***

How the hell does something so absurd rise to the level of homework?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:16 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Yes, the turkey stuff is getting weird for us this year, too. Last year (just turning 2), I don't think Walter had a clue that people were talking about EATING turkeys. This year (just turning 3) he gets that people are eating turkeys, but not necessarily the killing part. At school they're reading books like "Run, Turkey, Run," which he tells me is about a farmer chasing a turkey, and doing turkey crafts.

I just keep reiterating that some people eat turkeys and other animals, but in our family we don't eat animals. That's really all I say at this point, because I don't want to scare him by telling him how animals become meat.

I know at least one girl in his class and her family are vegetarian, so he's not the only one who won't be eating turkey. It is pretty inescapable, though, and people making small talk always ask if he's going to eat turkey, so rather than shield him I'm trying to give him a true, fair answer.

But DEG, that assignment is stupid. Somebody thought it was cute, but honesty, what is it teaching anyone? Math? Reading skills? Logic? What a waste of time.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:30 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I am cracking up picturing the pilgrim riding the turkey coloring page! It's so strange!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:23 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

While I agree it's totally stupid I have to say I'm not all that surprised. The cognitive dissonance of liking animals and then eating them starts young :-(

I'm already not looking forward to weird school stuff like
This and we are a long way off from school

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:55 am 

I should have probably said my kiddo is in Kindergarten. So the "value" of the assignment is just that it's supposed to be fun. She doesn't get real homework yet.

My hubby is an omni, so my kids know people eat meat. But even he thinks this stuff is just weird.

I'm king of wishing we had given the turkey a train ticket to the farm sanctuary. That would have been awesome.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:28 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

yeah we have a pre-k "homework" assignment to color/paint/paste stuff on a picture of a turkey, and then at the bottom supposed to fill in the sentence "The turkey is ________". Would it be too much for me to encourage D to write "our friend"? I really want to. But since she hasn't met any turkeys yet - we went to a farm sanctuary a few years ago but she doesn't remember the awesome turkeys - I guess that would be inauthentic. I should probably have a discussion with the kid about this whole Thanksgiving nonsense, all she knows is that we have a feast and some friends over on that day. I'm afraid I'll get carried away trying to explain both the whole turkey-eating tradition AND the bullshiitake about the pilgrims "sharing" with the Indians, makes my head hurt just thinking about it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:22 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

That is really weird homework. It seems to reflect the contradicitions/ambivalence that people who still eat animals probably have- because I think deep down most people like animals, and and might acknowledge that they suffer - but are so used to eating them they don't think any further about it.

mittenmacher wrote:
I just keep reiterating that some people eat turkeys and other animals, but in our family we don't eat animals. That's really all I say at this point, because I don't want to scare him by telling him how animals become meat.

This is probably getting off topic but I'm having this problem lately. I haven't said much to my kid about why we're vegan because I don't want to scare him, but it is getting to the point that without understanding it, he doesn't see anything wrong with eating animals they way all the other kids at school do. He told me yesterday he was trying to eat another kid's food and I said he shouldn't because we don't eat animals. He said, "I want to eat animals." I'm sort of at a loss for what to do.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:22 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

That is really weird homework. It seems to reflect the contradicitions/ambivalence that people who still eat animals probably have- because I think deep down most people like animals, and and might acknowledge that they suffer - but are so used to eating them they don't think any further about it.

mittenmacher wrote:

This is probably getting off topic but I'm having this problem lately. I haven't said much to my kid about why we're vegan because I don't want to scare him, but it is getting to the point that without understanding it, he doesn't see anything wrong with eating animals they way all the other kids at school do. He told me yesterday he was trying to eat another kid's food and I said he shouldn't because we don't eat animals. He said, "I want to eat animals." I'm sort of at a loss for what to do.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:24 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Uh, not sure why that posted twice. i don't see any way to delete it. Sorry!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:29 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I hear you, Aubade. This morning I asked Walter what he wanted for breakfast and he said "chicken." I just said calmly that we don't eat chicken, and he said "I do eat chicken." Um, no you don't, dude. I mean, I know he has no idea what he's talking about, and that he's contradicting me because he's three and that's practically his job. I just keep repeating my mantra ("chickens are animals; we don't eat animals"), as needed.

We are having Thanksgiving at a relative's house, and there will be dead turkey, but I think I'll be able to distract him. But I can see that next year we'll have to have a conversation about WHY we don't eat animals, and about how other families make different choices and that's...okay? Ugh, this is hard.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:04 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Ooh of all things I just caught my son watching that Chipotle scarecrow commercial (this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUtnas5ScSEas ) as an ad before a Peppa Pig episode. (the irony!!) I said, "hmm...this one is a little scary...you probably don't want to watch it..." He said "not scary mom" maybe I'm guessing because the animation is so cute. Then the pig got a shot and he just got one on Sat. (routine cbc) & screamed, so I said, "you didn't like getting a shot...the chickens don't either". Then the really sad part with the cows in the cages came on and his little lip went out in a sad pout and he flicked the commercial off. So I think maybe he is getting it a little?

He's on youtube right now because I'm prepping his big thanksgiving party feast for school tomorrow (normally we'd be playing). We just talked at dinner about how his feast won't be exactly the same, but he'll have everything the other kids have. So I said after the video that his dinner tomorrow won't have any animals getting hurt so it is happy not sad.

I hope I'm handling this OK and that he doesn't feel too weird tomorrow.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:41 pm 
Crazy bat lady

I'd ask the teacher the learning objective of the homework, and if he/she doesn't know, your kid doesn't have to do it. Does your kid need practice coloring within the lines? Or gluing? (That's not sarcastic, kids need to practice motor skills. But does YOUR kid need to?)

If it makes you feel better, my students are reading Act IV of Hamlet & doing close readings of a character as Thanksgiving homework. :D

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:37 pm 

Well with respect to what my kid needs, she needs to learn to follow instructions. She is academically far ahead of Kindergarten in all areas, and in some she is well into second grade. But she does not always give an answer when asked. She does not always complete an assignment when asked. She needs to learn the process of school and that sometimes you do things you don't want to do just because your teacher said to.

We already did the assignment though. But I saw hanging in the windows of the first grade classrooms an assignment called, "How we cook a turkey" where the students listed the steps. I am sure the assignment has something to do with sequencing a story or something like that. If my DD is given that assignment next year, the steps will be "Go to Farm Sanctuary Website. Pick out a turkey. Make a donation. Ensure a turkey gets another year to live happily in the sunshine. Enjoy our cruelty free meal."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:07 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I can't imagine what learning objectives they could possibly have from a coloring/gluing activity that couldn't be done in some way that didn't involve personifying a turkey.

Sorry if I went a bit off topic earlier. Here's another thing: my kid came home with a page of the lyrics to 6 songs they've been singing in Nov. They are so random - 2 are just sort of cute turkey songs. Then there is to the tune of Are you sleeping:
"Mr. Turkey, Mr. Turkey
Run away, run away.
If you are not careful,
You will be a mouthful,
On Thanksgiving Day,
On Thanksgiving Day."

Then in a strange turn, apparently they also sang this song basically promoting vegetarianism:
Albuquerque Turkey
(Tune: “My Darlin’ Clementine”)

Albuquerque is a turkey
And he’s feathered and he’s fine.
And he wobbles and he gobbles
And he’s absolutely mine.

He’s the best pet you can get,
Better than a dog or cat.
He’s my Albuquerque turkey,
And I’m awfully proud of that.

Albuquerque is a turkey,
And he’s happy in his bed.
Cause for our Thanksgiving dinner,
We have spaghetti instead!

Ok so is the turkey a pet or dinner? Could they be any more confusing for 3 year olds?

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]