| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need gift for 11 year old girl
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:27 pm 
Saggy Butt

I'm shopping for an 11 year old girl from the Salvation Army angel tree and I have no clue what to get for the gift because I don't know any 11 year old girls. Does anyone have daughters, nieces, little sisters, etc. around that age? The thing with her requests said dolls, games, clothes. I've got clothes down and I think dolls may have been a mistake because 11 seems a little old for dolls. Games is such a broad category and her name sounds hispanic so I'm worried about getting something too wordy in case her parents don't speak english and couldn't play it with her.

Post subject: Re: Need gift for 11 year old girl
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:46 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

11 isn't necessarily too old for dolls, depending on the kid. I would go for fashion dolls (Barbie or whatever) as opposed to baby dolls though. But t is something that will probably be outgrown fast.

I used to work with girls around that age, and it's an age where they're starting to get really opinionated about stuff...like they either LOVE or HATE Hannah Montana, or whatever else is popular, so I would not choose something pop-culturey like that, and maybe go for a puzzle (like a game but no reading necessary if you're concerned about that) or art supplies (colored pencils and a nice pad of paper maybe).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:15 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

My 11 year old daughter says:

my little ponies
littlest pet shop
(this is totally anomalous, because she is tired of both of them, and everyone in the northern hemisphere is probably knee-deep in littlest pet shop by now).

As the mom of an 11yo girl, I would say the best thing is to take your cash and go to a craft store (Michaels, etc) and see what you can pick up. The clearance bins have so many weird things that you can actually get a bunch of little things. And usually art supplies are wicked cheap at these places, I concur with SR.

This age for my kid is when she veers wildly between little girl-ness (ponies????) and wanting a $50 gothic studded leather journal with wax and a stamp to seal the pages with. I never know what she's going to like.

I will also add that we participated in programs like this when my girls were little, since we were receiving public aid, and then when we got off aid we reciprocated, and about 75% of the girls in these programs got clothes and a fake barbie from the dollar store. Good on you for thinking different.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:07 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

I would say a crafting kit - something bead related.

If it wasn't the day before Black Friday I'd say go wander around Toys R Us - they're pretty good about dividing things by age and/or all toys get labeled with general age recommendations.

For dolls maybe she meant Barbies?

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:35 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

torque wrote:
My 11 year old daughter says:

my little ponies
littlest pet shop
(this is totally anomalous, because she is tired of both of them, and everyone in the northern hemisphere is probably knee-deep in littlest pet shop by now).

As the mom of an 11yo girl, I would say the best thing is to take your cash and go to a craft store (Michaels, etc) and see what you can pick up. The clearance bins have so many weird things that you can actually get a bunch of little things. And usually art supplies are wicked cheap at these places, I concur with SR.

This age for my kid is when she veers wildly between little girl-ness (ponies????) and wanting a $50 gothic studded leather journal with wax and a stamp to seal the pages with. I never know what she's going to like.

I will also add that we participated in programs like this when my girls were little, since we were receiving public aid, and then when we got off aid we reciprocated, and about 75% of the girls in these programs got clothes and a fake barbie from the dollar store. Good on you for thinking different.

have a girl around the same age in my extended family and ditto to everything above. Somedays she dresses like a mini Betsey Johnson, she is so fun. She loves the clothing/accessory store Justice. She is always making her own jewelry and things for her own room (like a billion signs of her name or keep out boys stink) so crafts would be awesome.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:57 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I wouldn't go with Barbies but Bratz dolls are popular with some of the girls I work with in that age group. 11 is a hard age though because some girls still play with little girl things, and others want things like makeup. Popular requests in this age group for us have been Justin Bieber items, hair accessories, nail polish, and jewelry making kits or other craft kits.

Games are tough because of the reading thing. I work with two eleven year olds who do well with things like Apples to Apples Jr, and In a Pickle, and can even handle more challenging games like Fluxx. Then I have others who would never be able to keep up because their reading is so poor. Games like Jenga, or Pictureka, or even Uno are more universal choices.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:21 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i can vouch for Uno- we have a battered deck that still is in high rotation, about even with the wii in terms of her requests to play.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:31 am 

bratz are horrifying - i'm never getting livi one. liv dolls are less scary.

eta: groovy girls are the only ones I like - http://www.manhattantoy.com/category/39 ... 6%23174%3B

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:41 am 
Seagull of the PPK

we got the groovy girl pet chameleon as a party favor years ago, it's still one of Sprog's favorites.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:42 am 

torque wrote:
we got the groovy girl pet chameleon as a party favor years ago, it's still one of Sprog's favorites.

i wish livi still liked them. stupid barbies have invaded our world. groovy girls are cute!

eta: i just showed her the page again and she got excited! woo!

Last edited by appifanie on Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:43 am 

oh and build a bear - build a bear is a huge hit with livi and we see big girls in there all the time.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:26 pm 
Saggy Butt

Thanks guys! I'm thinking maybe Pictureka or Jenga or a craft thing would be good but keep the ideas coming!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:52 pm 
ugh

My little sister is 11. She loves games, so stuff like Jenga and Uno would be great. In the past few months she's started wearing makeup and jewelry, so that sort of thing is good, too. When I was that age I really liked art supplies, like those briefcase-style kits that come with a ton of colored pencils, markers, pastels, chalk, and watercolor cakes and brushes.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:20 am 
Saggy Butt

I ended up buying her Pictureka, a bracelet making kit, and some clothes. Thanks for all the advice!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:18 pm 

sounds great!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:35 am 
Baking In The Flavor

I remember being 11 or 12 and feeling jealous that my little sister (age 7 or 8) was getting all the "good" toys. Obviously I was on the younger side of the development scale; I enjoyed playing with dolls until I was 13 or so. For serious. And then at 14 I got teeny boobs and decided I was all grown up.