| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Holiday presents you're getting the kiddos
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:32 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

CommunistDaughter wrote:
I think we've finally settled on a camera. I'm still not sure how wise it is to give one to a three year old, however, kid version or no. We'll see how it goes.

I let my 2 year old play with an older digital camera (it's over 5 years old, and i'm pretty sure when we got it it was a clunkier model already). He LOVES it, and he really does get what kind of play it is for. He still holds it backwards half the time, but he knows it isn't the kind of toy you just chuck around.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:39 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I think i'm gonna need a second stocking for Woo what with all of the 'stocking stuffers' I keep finding. Since this year she's totally into it (she's two and a half), it's really hard not to go overboard.

we've gotten her all sorts of fun things (how I managed to keep it within the limits of our meager budget I dunno, but go me!), but I'm most excited for her to open the box from my brother and his wife. When she's not busy pretending with dolls and figures she's all about dressing up and pretending. My brother and his wife stuffed a big box full of things from my sis in law's closet. she's the type to have plenty of purple wigs and boas lying around. Girl is gonna flip. out. yay!

from us, i'm most excited for her to open the Olivia playhouse/pirate ship. She loves Olivia, but doesn't even know the toy exists...so being able to play with Olivia in the house and then a pirate ship? she's gonna be so very excited (we're big fans of all things pirate 'round here).

I'm saving the toddler camera for her bday in May. We were at a wedding recently and she had a blast with the throw away cameras so I know it will be a hit.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:44 am 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

Kelly wrote:
edited out because last night Shae says "I bet you wrote what I am getting for Christmas on the ppk somewhere!". So yeah.

sneaky!

Vantine wrote:
Kelly wrote:
edited out because last night Shae says "I bet you wrote what I am getting for Christmas on the ppk somewhere!". So yeah.

Toby tried to search my Amazon account...What is up with these kids?

His first Christmas was obscene. He got so much stuff that he passed out before he could open it all.

Haha! That's awesome! The 2nd part, that is.

mamachandra - My Olivia really likes the Olivia house/pirate ship :) It's only flaw is there's a cardboard tree you insert into the ship but you have to take it out if you change it so it broke pretty quick.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:32 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

thanks for the head's up!
I read a bunch of reviews but none mentioned that, good to know!

I later learned that she's also getting a ginormous doll house from her great aunt. time to sell the ginormous ball pit i made on craigslist!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:11 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Aubade wrote:
Kai is getting cloth diapers haha. He's really too young for toys yet. I'm asking his grandparents to get him winter hats and a turtle nightlight that projects stars on the wall.

I was going to get the Emperor a package of socks and then wrap each sock individually. At this point, it's not like cares what's inside the wrapping paper. But I'm so lazy that I didn't even buy the socks.

But I did buy him a bouncy ball while we were out shopping for a present for one of his closest baby friends.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:32 pm 
Inflexitarian

I got Zola this sewing machine:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/55429251/sewing-machine

And Felix this dump truck:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/26885109/dump-truck

I know they look totally gender stereotypical, but Zola keeps trying to play with my sewing machine and Felix is obsessed with all things car and truck.
I'm making them some felt food to go with their play kitchen. I wanted to make them aprons, but I'm not going to have time.

My parents got Felix a retro-looking firetruck ride on thingy. My mom really wanted to get it for him because she and her brothers had one when they were little. They got him something else but I can't remember what right now.
They got Zola some of those strap on first skates (and helmet, knee pads, and elbow pads) and one of the kid-friendly digital cameras.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:56 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

that sewing machine is the best thing every. you rock.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:17 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

I love the idea of "want, need, wear, read." I never heard of it before, but it sounds awesome. I wish my sister would do that with her kids. They get so much crepe.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:49 am 
Wears Pleather Undies

I got my 4-year old the Crayola dome thing that glows. She loves anything to do with drawing. I also got her a Melissa and Doug activity set. I can't remember the exact name, as I bought it back in August. The 2-year old is getting a matching game and blocks. They're getting smaller things like crayons, books, etc in stockings.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:06 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I love the want, need, wear, read idea. Maybe if we actually make an effort to give our kid anything next year, we'll go with that!

His grandparents got him a wagon on our recommendation this year, so that's really exciting. It sorta crosses the want/need boundary, because while I think it'll be a lot of fun for him to play with, it'll also be really super useful for us on farmer's market days.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:28 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

we don't go nuts for christmas, especially since the birthday was just here, so we sort of just buy things as we find them instead of for the holiday. we do like to have something as a surprise on Christmas but Sprog can't think of anything she wants. (for her birthday, she got a year pass to a waterpark, a stuffed chicken with little chicks inside eggs inside mama hen, some art supplies, painted her room a new color, plants, new goggles, some cute animals and stuff, and a set of fancy formal clothes that she was asking for [not sure where the hell she got that from.... not what i would have expected!])
i think what we'll do is wait til next week and go spend the day down in the downtown area and buy a shitload of stuff in the bookstore.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:46 pm 
Semen Strong

Kelly wrote:

This is why people need the edit button!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:59 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

oh boy, Dahlia got sooo much stuff from my family it's not even funny. The biggest are:

a thing to bounce on: http://rodytoy.com/Rody-Purple.htm

and a busy box thing I was hoping will help us get rid of the millions of small toys:
http://www.amazon.com/Imaginarium-5-Way ... B0037IYY04

and so much other stuff that we haven't even opened. It will probably be like her bday, where we show her all the stuff but then put a bunch of it away for appearance later on in the year - instant "new" toy! and like some of you, we didn't buy her anything ourselves because I have 4 brothers and sisters as well as my parents going crazy with gifts. I may purchase some Herbivore kiddy tshirts for her next week though, just 'cause I want her to have them haha.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:49 pm 
We So Excited

Vantine wrote:
Kelly wrote:

Whoa, that's alarmingly sophisticated. I dropped enough hints to let D. know about the major gifts (surprises are a little anxiety provoking for her) and then got her little stuff so I'd have the fun of some surprise. There's one oddly shaped gift that she keeps trying to figure out and I keep telling her is a can of soup.

I did not even try to keep it simple. But then, every week since November after I gave her her allowance, another package with my name on it would appear under the tree. We did discuss next year putting a price limit on gifts to each other and using the savings for something fun to do, but this is our first xmas. It's really bizarre to have your first xmas as a parent involve a 16 year old, but also really fun.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:30 pm 
Mediocre Tart

Friday wrote:
Vantine wrote:
Kelly wrote:

Whoa, that's alarmingly sophisticated. I dropped enough hints to let D. know about the major gifts (surprises are a little anxiety provoking for her) and then got her little stuff so I'd have the fun of some surprise. There's one oddly shaped gift that she keeps trying to figure out and I keep telling her is a can of soup.

I did not even try to keep it simple. But then, every week since November after I gave her her allowance, another package with my name on it would appear under the tree. We did discuss next year putting a price limit on gifts to each other and using the savings for something fun to do, but this is our first xmas. It's really bizarre to have your first xmas as a parent involve a 16 year old, but also really fun.

I kinda think you and D. are my favourite people in the world right now <3

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:37 pm 
We So Excited

interrobang?! wrote:

Aw, thanks.

You will appreciate this--she wanted to put more stuff under the tree and so wrapped a box of tampons. Last night we opened gifts from other people and one gift each from each other and so she got to see my face opening that. She also got me an awesome pleather bag with lots of zippers.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:53 pm 
Mediocre Tart

Friday wrote:
interrobang?! wrote:

Aw, thanks.

You will appreciate this--she wanted to put more stuff under the tree and so wrapped a box of tampons. Last night we opened gifts from other people and one gift each from each other and so she got to see my face opening that. She also got me an awesome pleather bag with lots of zippers.

Ha HA! Tampons- the gift that keeps on giving. For a month, at least. That's hilarious and awesome :)

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:13 pm 
And you never will.

I haven't gotten poopiebaby anything for his first Christmas, because I am a terrible mother. We haven't put up any decorations, we don't have a tree, nothing. I did get him a stocking and a first ornament (panda with cookie monster ornament, hollah!), but I haven't even hung the stocking anywhere. I figure, he's five months old - it's not like he's going to remember, you know? Besides, we're going to my parents' house tomorrow, and there will be plenty of decorations, gifts and excitement to more than make up for our lack thereof.

I am totally adopting the want, need, wear, read policy for future Christmases, though!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:24 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I ended up getting kai some more exciting presents than diapers. Here's a pic - soft blocks, a whoozit rattle, infant ball and organic doll with veggies on it (I couldn't resist that one lol). He loves them all, which is great because he didn't really have any good toys and now that he's more aware we need something to entertain him when he gets bored.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:29 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

WHOOZIT!! We had a whoozit and it was BELOVED.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:01 pm 
Huffs Nooch

We got our little one several small things off her list. The big thing though was a five drawer storage container that we filled with art supplies. She is six and intensely into doing art and going to any art "camp" workshops they run for kids. This basically guarantees my house will be covered in a layer of glitter but I can't help but smile every time she creates something with her imagination rather than watching TV.

I got my wife a Kindle.