| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Toddler air travel question
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:14 pm 
Semen Strong

That sounds wonderful! Don't cancel it :) Seriously, the last massage I had was before L was born, but I still remember how blissful it felt afterwards - its like they strip the tension out of your body. You really do deserve a nice treat!

And scones, clotted cream and friends sounds like a wonderful way to spend the day. I think that having nice things to look forward to gets you through the missing. When B goes away, we pack our calendar with fun stuff until he comes home :)

I hope you all have a nice time <3 <3 <3 !

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:19 pm 
Dead by dawn

Why am I reading this thread when I have no toddler to air travel with and no real experience feeding toddlers, either in the air or on the ground? Oh, I don't know, probably because I am unemployed and bored. Anyway, don't cancel your massage, poopie! I had never had one until last week (a free 10 minute chair massage at work once doesn't count) and it was glorious. You work so hard and you deserve it!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:55 pm 
And you never will.

Okay, the masses (all two of you!) have spoken. I won't cancel. It will give me something special to look forward to, since I'll still be filling baking orders and keeping my cousin's baby while they're gone. Plus maybe it will motivate me to finally clean out the spare room this weekend - so I can feel like I earned it as a reward :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:49 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Haha. 3+ years of nursing and general parenting, baking until like 2 in the morning, not to mention the childcare gig...I'm pretty sure we'd all agree that you've earned a massage even if you're spare room looks like a disaster zone.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:34 pm 

We are on vacation right now..flying home tomorrow. She is 2. First time ever, she did not nurse on the plane to our destination. Wow! She did nap, and I was glad to have a neck pillow for her. She also demanded to be diaper-less which gave me a few gray hairs but worked out. I hope tomorrow is successful!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:13 pm 

Wow, re no diaper! F not even thinking about the potty anymore. :(

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:11 am 

So, we're trying to coordinate trips to Norway and the US this Spring. Both places have some special events that we'd like to attend (just me and F going to the US). Trying to decide if it's better to fly to the States, then home for like a week, then out to Norway or to just fly to Norway from Chicago. F's never been away from Karl for more than about 3 days, so I'm not sure how that part would work either. Hm.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:30 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

We're going on our first flight with both kids in a couple of weeks. This will also be the first flight Ada gets her own seat on. So we're going to bring both car seats and gate check them (I have no idea how yet...maybe just buy a dolly and bungee them because those car seat specific dollies are a bit pricey and Ada wouldn't sit in hers anyway because Alice's seat would be stacked on it). Anyway, on the flight should we be getting a cares harness for Ada? Or should the regular seat belt work for her? She's 39 inches tall and weighs I have no idea what now. Probably getting close to 40lbs.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:06 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

hmm sashi any reason to bring both car seats? If you're renting a car I can understand not wanting to pay for some possibly gross or possibly non-existent car seat though. I just can't stand the idea of lugging those damn things through the airport, they are heavy and bulky we already have so much stuff to keep track of and oyyyy...I've never traveled with ours, but the few trips we've made have been to visit family and they managed to find car seats for us to use, mostly borrowed from friends etc. I have heard, though, that if you are gonna gate-check them, it's probably best to just put the car seats in like a big laundry bag at the gate, nothing fancy, but then there's the problem of getting the seats to the gate.
Ada is probably bigger than D was when she last flew, and we just used the plane seatbelt. I tend to not worry about it but if you are, maybe you can borrow a CARES harness from someone?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:48 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

We'll be renting a car. I thought maybe we'd just rent Ada a seat since the infant seat isn't a huge deal to carry. But I'm afraid that we'll show up and there won't be one or it will be horrible. Hmmm.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:53 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

sashi wrote:
We're going on our first flight with both kids in a couple of weeks. This will also be the first flight Ada gets her own seat on. So we're going to bring both car seats and gate check them (I have no idea how yet...maybe just buy a dolly and bungee them because those car seat specific dollies are a bit pricey and Ada wouldn't sit in hers anyway because Alice's seat would be stacked on it). Anyway, on the flight should we be getting a cares harness for Ada? Or should the regular seat belt work for her? She's 39 inches tall and weighs I have no idea what now. Probably getting close to 40lbs.

When you rent a car it might be a good idea to at the same time reserve a car seat for the little one. We found that we most always needed to do this to have a car seat waiting for us and also specify which type of car seat (infant, toddler or booster).

I never traveled with car seats myself since I find them so bulky to carry around and just rented one on arrival. I use slings when they're little to carry them around the airport. It's also useful on long flights I can walk on the plane with them in there and sway back and forth keeping my hands a bit more free, etc. When you're child is big enough you can take a small push chair with on the flight (like an umbrella one) that folds small).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:50 pm 

I started this thread with the same question about the cares harness so there is more info on that on the first page.

I ended up going without the harness and it was fine. I have no regrets. As far as car seats go, I would recommend checking the big one so you don't have to lug it to the gate. We have a bag for ours.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:03 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

I second Solkiki's advice about reserving the car seat --you may have to call. When I tried to compare prices before reserving a car, aggregator sites (like kayak) didn't have a car seat option, so the prices shown won't be what you'll pay. I noted in the car (seat) talk thread that AAA + Hertz car rental = free car seat for infant, toddler, or booster. Worth considering a membership just for that, in my opinion, as the car seat fees can add up fast.

Also, car rental companies told us they cannot install the seat for you. They just hand you the thing and say good luck. (It was also behind the desk, not in or near the car, so one more thing to lug.) We rented with two companies, and each time it took a while to figure out how to install the seat properly, adjust the strap height to the child, and so on. your mileage may vary, but do plan on extra time for this.

sashi wrote:
We'll be renting a car. I thought maybe we'd just rent Ada a seat since the infant seat isn't a huge deal to carry. But I'm afraid that we'll show up and there won't be one or it will be horrible. Hmmm.

Well, we have only two companies to compare, but I felt like quality did vary between them. Neither came close to our home car seat, which is easy to carry and to click into place. We rented the worse of the two when he was pretty young, and had to tuck towels around his head, which otherwise flopped all over. Not applicable to you, but maybe to someone else reading this.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:14 pm 
Chip Strong

We have used a Britax marathon convertible seat since birth and have a wheely thing that attaches to it for the airport. We visit family several times a year and always take our own carseat and gate check it with no issues. Always worked fine for us! Scarlett enjoys riding through the airport in it now that she's older but until 18 months or so I would have her in a carrier around the airport.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:07 am 
Nooch of Earl

We've used Enterprise and not reserved it ahead (they don't let you do this online). It was <$10/day and my husband said they had a closet of like a hundred car seats there. They weren't fancy ones, but they were fine. Like, a basic Graco or somesuch.

But if you want something super compact, we found a booster seat with a back that would be suitable for Ada (2+) and fold up in a suitcase. It requires the behind the seat tether because it folds, but is much lighter and more compact…wish I could remember the name! We also have a Diono that is way smaller than our Britax, that was the smallest one we could find that could be taken ON the plane, but it was still a heavy PITA to carry through the airport.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:12 am 
Nooch of Earl

Finally found it, it's a Safety 1st Go Hybrid: http://www.toysrus.com/buy/booster-car- ... hd-4008524

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:07 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

anyone have any recommendations for a book or something that i can read to BP before our first plane trip so i can sort of familiarize her with the idea of a plane?

she seems to understand SO MUCH of what we say and i have told her a few times that we are going to visit her auntie Sadrah next month and we're going on a big plane and it will be very loud. but i dont think she has any concept of whom auntie Sadrah is (guess i should get out some pics) she's only seen her a few times, the last time in early April. and she has ZERO concept of a plane.
there are so many train and truck books there must be ones about planes????

where is Maisy Takes an Airplane Ride or somethign?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:33 pm 
Nooch of Earl

We have these:

http://www.amazon.com/Plane-Trip-Dover- ... 486439828/ - it's a coloring book, so it can also work as on-flight entertainment if you bring crayons

http://www.amazon.com/Airport-Byron-Bar ... Z7YPWT9A4W - I like his trucks book too, but this is good at explaining what's going on in an airport…

http://www.amazon.com/Airplane-Flight-L ... 82JZ8GM2AC <= this one has a rhyming, sort of tortured story but v really likes it, plus liftable! flaps!
which of course are like toddler crack.

ETA: V was not really into stickers much until recently, but in case BP is, there's also this:
http://www.amazon.com/Little-Airport-St ... 486412725/
and it looks like there are a couple other airport sticker books as well.. I also recall seeing a magnet book, which sounds awesome for air travel but the reviews were so-so. Note that the dover sticker books are teeny tiny (but maybe a great size for on the go use)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:58 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

annak wrote:
plus liftable! flaps!
which of course are like toddler crack.

oh my god yes! i will definitely check that one out! yesterday i found a book in her toy box that wasnt flaps exactly but little window type things that slid!!! oh much fun was had for like an hour! it was great!

ive seen alot of the Byron Barton ones at the library so ill see if they have a plane one.

BP doesnt seem to care about stickers or crayons yet. everywhere we go well meaning people are like DOES SHE WANT A STICKER?!?!?!?!?!?

thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:04 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Ha, I remember that. I would try to deflect it with "no thanks, she'd probably just eat it." and they would give her one anyway.

Fast forward a couple years, and we are firmly into the YES, YES SHE WANTS A STICKER phase…

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:31 pm 
***LIES!!!***

We just got back from a trip with a ton of flights (5!): we decided to bring our car seat and check it since we weren't renting a car for one part, so we got a special bag with wheels for it. We also got a CARES harness which I sort of regret. We couldn't use it on two flights because of the design of the chairs and then because we were seated in front of an emergency row and they don't allow it. The flight attendants had never seen one and weren't helpful. Malka refused to wear it for long stretches anyway. For the last flight she spent much of it asleep in my lap anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:47 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i found this book at the library today

http://www.amazon.com/Going-Plane-First-Experiences-Civardi/dp/0794510051/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1408483250&sr=1-1&keywords=going+on+an+airplane