| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: postpartum depression and anxiety
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:18 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

Thinking of you rebeccaxx!! I'm not sure I can give you any real advice, but I had similar PTSD like issues postpartum. I don't think I had much PPD however I did experience significant anxiety postpartum, but I was also dealing with a possible spine surgery for my son, hence the extra anxiety.
At about 6 weeks postpartum I started experiencing terrifying flashbacks. I was an Pediatric ICU nurse for almost 1 year before I became an adult ICU nurse - and I saw a lot of bad stuff. This was not too hard on me when it happened 7 years ago, I was younger and had no children. Fast forward to 6 weeks postpartum and I began having intense flashbacks of young children's deaths. I really can't write too much more, it was terrible. The images were intrusive and happened a couple of times a day for about 4 weeks....then they went away. I talked to my husband about it, but I found he was unable to be an unbiased observer to my pain and what I was describing. I ended up going back to my therapist who I only see occasionally - we had a very ugly session where I described what I was seeing, feeling and experiencing. She was unbiased, she let me feel the pain, she let me talk. It was brutal, but it helped. She also helped normalize the flashbacks (maybe not the content) as something that women do struggle with postpartum. I think part of it was that I started almost feeling haunted by the images in my mind - and having a brand new baby and lots of hormones didn't help. Just making it more real by putting it into words really seemed to help. I think I struggled about 2 weeks with this before I said anything to anyone, I wish I wouldn't have. I also found that when I was going to bed at night and exhausted from the day it was easiest for the images to return to me...so that's when I focused the most on not thinking about them.
I hope that makes some sense. I'm so sorry you are experiencing the thoughts and feelings, talking to someone really did seem to help me - that and probably moving out of whatever postpartum hormone roller coster I was on from weeks 6-10!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:41 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Sending you hugs rebeccaxx!! I don't have advice but I wanted to say that I hope you get the support that you need! <3

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:50 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

It can't hurt to mention it to a medical professional. It may go away or maybe you may need meds briefly or maybe they might have some ideas of things you can do etc.

I didn't have exactly what you describe but I had a traumatic birth experience and for a long time I felt like I should probably go see a therapist but never did. I kind of got over it but I'm already in anti depressants

Post partum hormone roller coaster doesn't help

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:54 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I don't have any personal insight or anything, but just wanted to say if you have access to professional help, go ahead and use it. Maybe time on its own would do it for you, but my feeling is why feel shittier than you need to if you can access resources that may help you feel better sooner. I also feel like talking to a therapist can be really helpful for anybody when they're going through a big life change, which can be really stressful even under the best circumstances, so there's really not a lot to lose by trying it out for a couple of sessions.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:46 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I wish I had got help after having R. I thought I was mostly over my bad experience, but a lot of fear came back during this pregnancy.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:43 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Thank you all, I think I feel like if I ignore it it will go away and talking about it will make it worse. But that is not what you are telling me so I will try and get a referral.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:40 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I don't think I have post-partum depression, but I have been having a lot of trouble since having the c-section both physically and emotionally for a couple different reasons. After spending a lot of time crying in a dark room, I remembered that I had a very old bottle of Valium and so I have been taking it and it's what is keeping me sane right now. Mother's Little Helper indeed.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:54 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

I hope it passes soon. Don't be afraid to talk to your gyn about it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:26 am 
***LIES!!!***

Yes - talk to your ob! Do you have a follow up appointment coming up? I would write down everything that feels like it's been difficult so you don't leave anything out at the appointment.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:44 am 
Semen Strong

Sending you lots and lots of love and gentle thoughts bastah! If you're having a hard time, and managing through medication, I'd call your ob and just talk about what is going on for you, physically and emotionally, and see if there is any other support that might help you heal faster and feel like yourself. I think Valium can be a really useful tool in managing stress and anxiety, but it can also be used as a bandaid and delay you getting help for some of the root causes.

I have a dear friend who was prescribed percocet as she was healing from her knee surgery, and she said that by far the hardest part of her recovery was having to get rid of the pain pills, because she inadvertently was relying on them as a crutch. I only mention this because I think it's useful to keep in mind that some of these medications can be hard to wean off when you run out, and it's great to have medical help in stepping down etc.

THROW A forking YAM IN THE OVEN ITS forking CHRISTMAS - LisaPunk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:35 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Big hugs bastah

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:05 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Sending you big hugs and empathy bastah. Just because it's not ppd doesn't mean you can't get help. Especially before you run out of valium as tofulish mentioned.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:32 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Lots of love, Bastah! <3