| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The wonderful world of angry children
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:19 am 
Grandfathered In

Are your children currently angry with you? What are some things they've gotten angry with you about? What do they do when they're angry?

Let's discuss anger!

Or ELSE!

Post subject: Re: The wonderful world of angry children
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:25 am 
Grandfathered In

GlueGun was mad at me earlier tonight. Here is the note he wrote to me, which he then crumpled up and threw on the floor near my feet and pointed at. (I told him he had to hand it to me, at least.)

the note wrote:
NO!
NO Hugs tonight, not even a nice goodnight if you dont apollogize for yelling at me for crying when it was your own fault, because You were the one that said 'NO computer tonight'

On the one hand, I feel bad that my actions—which were totally, parentally justified—caused him so much distress.

On the other hand, if this is all he ever has to complain about, he's in good shape.

On the other other hand, I kind of admire this level of... confidence? Pigheadedness?

On the other other other hand, it's so cute!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:32 am 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

this is why i can't have kids. if my child wrote me this note, i would burst into tears and buy him a race car or something. i'm kind of mad at you right now, that's how weak i am.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:54 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

haha, acr, I guess it takes a village.

I love this. It is so cute and he has the best complaint, really.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:34 am 
Grandfathered In

Follow-up: I did apologize for yelling.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:01 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I would be a bad parent. That note made me laugh out loud. Such a difficult existence GlueGun has! Such suffering!

"forking vegans" ~~linanil

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:38 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Why did GlueGun get a name change?!

Also, I think it says a lot about how you and Mrs. Face have raised him. So many children have trouble explain why they're angry, but he took some time to really explain it to you. In an awesome note with an angry face, to boot!

Reminds me of the Mr. Rogers song about getting angry and how it's okay to stomp your feet if you want to. It's part of life.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:10 am 
Flounceiad 2011

Well, you were the one who said "No computer tonight." I mean, SHEESH. (I bet you make him call you Daddie Dearest, too!)

This made me laugh out loud, and reminded me of a note written by my oldest when he was about 8 (and which I still have somewhere). I had incurred his displeasure for some now-forgotten reason, whereupon he declared that he was Never Talking To Me Again and slammed off to his room. Hours later, when the whole thing had blown over, I went into his room and found the following note taped to the inside of his door: "Rember NOT to talk to Mom and I hate her." (Clearly, he didn't rember to read it!)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:38 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Anh's Anger by Gail Silver is my favorite book about being angry right now (for kids). I use it at work. We read it and then we draw pictures of what our anger looks line.

Of course the kids I work with generally aren't angsty about a parent carrying out a punishment. They're generally like, mentally ill or traumatized and pound the crepe out of other kids for no reason. (Ok, I guess being mentally ill or traumatized is a reason)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:41 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Dax asks for cookies, "trick or treats", or "sucker too" and I say no and he pouts and whines. Then he kicks his toys and I tell him to stop. Then he usually throws himself on the floor or runs into his room. On a good day, this only happens once or twice.
This only lasts a few minutes (the positive of having a two-year-old I guess) and it's sometimes hilarious.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:58 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Reno gets angry at me most days. It is incredible that at 3 she is already acting like a rotten teenager.

Today it was because I made her wear pants to preschool. She HATES pants but it's cold and pouring rain outside. She finally put them on when I promised that as soon as she got home she could take them off and put the same dirty summer dress that she has been wearing for a week straight on.

When she does get angry she does that whole should slump loud sigh action or says "Oh MAAAAAAN!" or throws things or falls violently to her knees or does all at once. Its amusing. I can't wait until she starts writing me notes like GlueGun.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:01 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Reno and my daughter would get along GREAT. It's dresses or nothing around here. and hysterical fits if we try to convince her otherwise.

I'm also in acr's camp. I've got to try hard not to be the mom that says "I LOVE YOU I'LL PROVE IT LET'S GO TO TOYS R US".

On the other other other hand, it really is cute.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:01 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

When I was in the first grade, I was told I was not allowed to write angry notes. I didn't know all the words I wanted to call my parents, so I provided helpful illustrations. **fond memories**

Also, JENNA - I refused to wear pants until the second or third grade. We lived in Massachusetts. My mother finally convinced me to dress warmer by letting me wear a dress over my sweatpants. I'm sure I looked ridiculous, but it was okay, because I was in a DRESS.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:59 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

let's see, last night my 5 year old got mad at me because I wouldn't let him play the wii. He told me he's never speaking to me again. He really has problems with short term memory so he talked to me soon after that. Maybe he should learn how to write notes!
my 2 year old crosses her arms all day and tells me she is mad, when I ask why she says "cause". Usually it's because I won't let her eat granola all day long.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:04 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

i used to make my atari computer yell at my parents! i had this little speech program on there and i would turn the volume all the way up and type in things like "i hate you, mom!" sometimes even "fork you, mom!" but you know what? that's what you get for cursing a lot around your kids! your kids know how to curse! (i was probably 8 or so)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:08 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

The note is adorable, as is his punishment--adorable abd ruthless! No hugs, not even a nice goodnight? If I didn't get hugs and a nice goodnight from my boyfriend before bed, I would feel horrible.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:17 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

We are all SO BAD. No computer! Wearing pants! Imagine!

My Sprog is probably still mad at me because she called me to announce she was in the car with her friend (and friend's aunt) going to watch a movie. It's a school night and we have a policy with this friend, if they ask at the last minute, no go. I said no, screaming begins, Mr Torque calls me in about two minutes to say he let her go, end of discussion. So maybe Sprog is happy again, who knows. I am not. The tag team parenting thing gets tiring.

Sprog keeps a diary in her room, locked (it has aluminum covers, so peeking isn't really an option), and i suspect she writes down all the things she hates about me. Which is just fine. I used to say all the things i hated about my parents to their faces, get smacked around, and spend days confined to my bed, and i think this is a better alternative, really.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:36 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Oh my. So heartbreaking and adorable. Kids are so good at mixing the two! I think the fact that he let you know exactly why he was upset is a really huge thing.

Today Shae left for school angry with me. I made him wear an old gap jacket to school because he managed to lose his new "cool" one before the first cold day of the year. I found out about this about 5 minutes before his bus got here and was not thrilled. Then about a half an hour later, Silas was upset because I wouldn't let him take his Muno figure into his speech therapy (no toys, too distracting for him), so he threw his Plex figure at my head. Lovely! Although a bit helpful actually, since I didn't realize he had smuggled both of them into the car with him.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:38 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

ijustdiedinside wrote:
i used to make my atari computer yell at my parents! i had this little speech program on there and i would turn the volume all the way up and type in things like "i hate you, mom!" sometimes even "fork you, mom!" but you know what? that's what you get for cursing a lot around your kids! your kids know how to curse! (i was probably 8 or so)

Hahahahaha, I love this!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:02 pm 
Married to the wolfman

The Emperor has started throwing himself down on his stomach and howling when he's displeased. Sometimes he kicks and flails too. It's... I hate to say it but... it's hilarious.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:29 pm 
Bought a crop of bad girls

SO cute! I hope you got a hug and a nice goodnight in the end.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:55 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

denali wrote:
SO cute! I hope you got a hug and a nice goodnight in the end.

Yeah, I need a hug/good night update!

"forking vegans" ~~linanil

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:10 am 
Bathes in Braggs

i cringe when i think of all the nasty notes i sent my mom as a melodramatic child and teen. the last one i remember was when i was maybe 15 and my mom wouldn't let me go out to see my friend's band play, so i snuck out and wrote her this really awful letter. i think there was reference to "a moth trapped in a cage"? ugh... hahahah... my poor mother. i hope she didn't read it! i am so not looking forward to tziporah's angry note writing phase. although i'm going to be sure to keep them for future reference.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:34 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

littlebird wrote:
i think there was reference to "a moth trapped in a cage"?

This is hilarious. I wrote similar things, but it was all in my journal, not letters. I still cringe (because I was a little goth drama queen) and feel guilty (because my parents are actually really awesome) when I reread it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:43 pm 
Impressive boner

Toby's angry behavior has become confusing. He will either sulk and/or bawl for 30 minutes rather than say whats wrong and if we can get any kind of speech out of him it's just indecipherable mumbling.