| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: The wonderful world of angry children
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:00 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

Sprog is now stalking around furious because for her science project tomorrow, she told her useless teacher that she'd be able to download a bunch of youtube videos and then burn them so they'd play as DVDs. Not only do i veto that idea but we also don't have a functional burner at the moment, even if i did allow this silliness to happen (and she's not going to start downloading BS solutions willynilly to solve this horrible gap in our interweb capabilities). I came into the room to find her desperately cutting and pasting links into a word processor, pounding the computer since it wouldn't "play". I can't wait to talk to her IT teacher next week at the parent teacher conference, apparently they have learned NEGATIVE skills since last year, since at least last year she knew the difference between a word processor and a browser.
^deep breath^

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:54 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

my son (he will be 3 in one week) just followed me around the house with his arms crossed over his chest repeating: "NO tofu. NO tofu." because he doesn't want tofu for snack.

at first i acknowledged it and said: "i hear you. you don't want tofu." but after that didn't seem to cease the endless repetition, i'm now doing "cheerful ignoring."

"NO tofu, mommy!"

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:24 pm 
Grandfathered In

"Sorry. We're all out of tofu. What else would you not like?"

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:02 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

vegetalion wrote:
littlebird wrote:
i think there was reference to "a moth trapped in a cage"?

This is hilarious. I wrote similar things, but it was all in my journal, not letters. I still cringe (because I was a little goth drama queen) and feel guilty (because my parents are actually really awesome) when I reread it.

is there anything worse than a little goth drama queen? that's what i was too! god, i was such a bisque...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:08 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

littlebird wrote:
vegetalion wrote:
littlebird wrote:
i think there was reference to "a moth trapped in a cage"?

This is hilarious. I wrote similar things, but it was all in my journal, not letters. I still cringe (because I was a little goth drama queen) and feel guilty (because my parents are actually really awesome) when I reread it.

is there anything worse than a little goth drama queen? that's what i was too! god, i was such a bisque...

My little goth cousin went through a phase where "his thing" was not talking. As in, he didn't talk. He hid behind a curtain of hair. I was appalled by this until my boyfriend told me that when he was 16, his "thing" for almost a year was not to talk to his parents. Ever. At least even when I was wailing about how unfair my life was, I was still talking to my parents!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:26 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

vegetalion wrote:
My little goth cousin went through a phase where "his thing" was not talking. As in, he didn't talk. He hid behind a curtain of hair. I was appalled by this until my boyfriend told me that when he was 16, his "thing" for almost a year was not to talk to his parents. Ever. At least even when I was wailing about how unfair my life was, I was still talking to my parents!

When I was about 7 or so, I didn't talk to my dad at all for a week because he wouldn't buy me some walkie talkie toy I wanted (he ended up buying me the toy). I can't believe how terrible that is now, so I hope my memory is wrong and it was only a day or something. I feel too terrible about it to ask to find out!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:30 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I feel really bad because when I was a teenager I used to tell my parents that it was their fault they had me. i didn't ask to be born, so if they wanted the dishwasher unloaded that was on them. haha. what a little shiitake!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:38 pm 
Waited in a line late at night for some stuff

In retrospect I wish I'd been capable of just not talking to people. Instead I threw massive fits and screamed all the time.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:46 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

since having my own child i definitely feel the need to apologize to my mom on the regular. i mean, wow, i remember feeling so misunderstood as a kid, but really i did NOT get what my parents were dealing with.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:56 pm 
Grandfathered In

I am crying just thinking about GlueGun giving me a week-long (or [i]year-long?![/i) silent treatment!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:59 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

When I was... probably four or five, I was really upset with my dad. His punishment? I took the entire, unopened box of Eggos out of the freezer, hid in my room, and ate them. I bet that taught him a lesson!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:02 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

FootFace wrote:
I am crying just thinking about GlueGun giving me a week-long (or [i]year-long?![/i) silent treatment!

I never gave my parents the silent treatment, I would just save up the most hurtful, personal attacks on their insecurities I could come up with and unleash them whenever I was mad. Gluegun's pretty bright, so I'm guessing he'll just use cutting to the core as his main weapon.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:14 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

FootFace wrote:
GlueGun was mad at me earlier tonight. Here is the note he wrote to me, which he then crumpled up and threw on the floor near my feet and pointed at. (I told him he had to hand it to me, at least.)

the note wrote:
NO!
NO Hugs tonight, not even a nice goodnight if you dont apollogize for yelling at me for crying when it was your own fault, because You were the one that said 'NO computer tonight'

On the one hand, I feel bad that my actions—which were totally, parentally justified—caused him so much distress.

On the other hand, if this is all he ever has to complain about, he's in good shape.

On the other other hand, I kind of admire this level of... confidence? Pigheadedness?

On the other other other hand, it's so cute!

For my 30th birthday, my mom gave me a folder containing a bunch of artwork and assorted things I'd done as a child. One of them was an angry note that is quite similar to GlueGun's. It made me laugh quite hard. Save that note!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:22 pm 
Spent a summer in Brisbane, hated it

One of my friends from work would like a t-shirt of the angry face on it. She really enjoyed the note and the drawings.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:24 pm 
Saggy Butt

While I don't have my own children, I deal with them on a daily basis in my classroom of first grade boys with behavior and developmental issues.

Joanna, I think you should trademark the phrase "Cheerful ignoring". It's one of my favorite techniques.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:28 pm 
Dead by dawn

vegetalion wrote:

My sister didn't talk to me or my mom for months. She talked to most other people, just not us. Once she snapped out of it, she was completely normal again and became a totally well-adjusted adult. She just was really put out at having to live with such insufferable people (we're good friends now, as we were before she went through this.) She must have been... 17?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:23 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

ijustdiedinside wrote:
I feel really bad because when I was a teenager I used to tell my parents that it was their fault they had me. i didn't ask to be born, so if they wanted the dishwasher unloaded that was on them. haha. what a little shiitake!

I did this too! I was awful!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:24 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

FootFace, that reminds me of a note my little brother drew to my mum once. It was also VERY ANGRY and terribley cute. As a teenager, he is still good at expressing how and why he is feeling angry (and giving wonderfully reasoned arguments for why it's shocking for him to have to wash the floor, or he simply must do such-and-such).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:37 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Kelly wrote:
ijustdiedinside wrote:

I did this too! I was awful!

it used to work too. eventually my dad would just end up getting worn down and doing the chores himself. at least i had time to make up for being a jerk in high school before he died. :(

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:16 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

^ My brothers took the same tactic, as well as, "Kate should do it, she's the girl."
And because my brothers were such useless little shiitakes, I did most of the dishes in the house until I moved out. My parents like to pretend they were pretty socially liberal parents, but it doesn't seem like much of a coincidence that I did the majority of the housecleaning chores and wasn't allowed to play video games.

GENDER RESENTMENT :/

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:00 pm 
Bought a crop of bad girls

Kate wrote:
^ My brothers took the same tactic, as well as, "Kate should do it, she's the girl."
And because my brothers were such useless little shiitakes, I did most of the dishes in the house until I moved out. My parents like to pretend they were pretty socially liberal parents, but it doesn't seem like much of a coincidence that I did the majority of the housecleaning chores and wasn't allowed to play video games.

GENDER RESENTMENT :/

My brother did this. If he was asked to do the dishes he would say in his saddest little kid voice " But I don't know how to wash the dishes!" So my dad would look at me and say "ok, Denali you wash them."

What the hell! I am a bitter middle child

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:00 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Yesterday, Toby told me "YOU DON'T CARE ABOUT MY SUFFERING!"

Why can't he suffer more quietly?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:02 pm 
Grandfathered In

Vantine wrote:
Yesterday, Toby told me "YOU DON'T CARE ABOUT MY SUFFERING!"

Why can't he suffer more quietly?

Yes, it's shocking how much we don't care about them.