| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Booster Seats
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:25 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

Livi has a convertible car seat which is the non Eddie Bauer version of this - http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.js ... Id=2919722

I've been thinking about getting her a booster and I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations. I've heard a few times that most boosters aren't good in a crash because the booster itself doesn't attach to the car (like most car seats do) and that one should get a booster that does in fact attach to the car.

I'll be reading here - http://www.iihs.org/research/topics/boo ... fault.html

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

Post subject: Re: Booster Seats
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:50 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Malcolm has a backless booster seat. I like it. It has a cup holder for his drink, or rocks/pine cones/treasures he finds. It's easy to take in and out of the car.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:23 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

we have this one for our oldest http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.js ... Id=4097426
If you can, a 5 point harness is the safest as long as they are within the weight/height limits for their carseat. Our son outgrew his britax and at the time we couldn't afford one that had a higher weight range so we got that. I swear our youngest is so tiny she'll be in a 5 point when she goes to junior high, she's 2 and has 12 more pounds till we can turn her around.
Anyways, we he liked that one the best, plus it's sorta cushiony at the head part so when he falls asleep his head doesn't look like it's gonna snap. We have a cheaper one for the truck that's awful.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:06 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

appifanie wrote:
I've heard a few times that most boosters aren't good in a crash because the booster itself doesn't attach to the car (like most car seats do) and that one should get a booster that does in fact attach to the car.

How do most boosters work if they don't attach to the car? I'm looking to get one for Reno since we can't raise the straps on her Britax anymore and they are starting to go behind her shoulder. I definitely want one like the one Aliks just posted a link too.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:30 pm 

most boosters don't have the latch system, sometimes buckles just fail so I think it's sorta scary to make the switch. Newer cars have the tether/latch thingie. A booster just makes it so the kid is at the proper height so the seatbelt is in the right position.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:09 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

ah...I see.

Reno is close to the weight restriction for the latch system, at least for her Britax, I'm not sure if different brands have different weight restrictions. I hate that we will have to secure it with just a seatbelt soon. She's not even 3 1/2 yet!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:00 pm 

JENNA wrote:
appifanie wrote:
I've heard a few times that most boosters aren't good in a crash because the booster itself doesn't attach to the car (like most car seats do) and that one should get a booster that does in fact attach to the car.

How do most boosters work if they don't attach to the car? I'm looking to get one for Reno since we can't raise the straps on her Britax anymore and they are starting to go behind her shoulder. I definitely want one like the one Aliks just posted a link too.

they're just a seat sitting on top of the car seat - not attached in any way.

i noticed today livi's head is at/just above the top of her car seat.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:00 pm 

Aliks wrote:
we have this one for our oldest http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.js ... Id=4097426
If you can, a 5 point harness is the safest as long as they are within the weight/height limits for their carseat. Our son outgrew his britax and at the time we couldn't afford one that had a higher weight range so we got that. I swear our youngest is so tiny she'll be in a 5 point when she goes to junior high, she's 2 and has 12 more pounds till we can turn her around.
Anyways, we he liked that one the best, plus it's sorta cushiony at the head part so when he falls asleep his head doesn't look like it's gonna snap. We have a cheaper one for the truck that's awful.

does it have anything that tethers to the car? i do have a newer car so it does have the latch system.

eta: HAHA! it does up to 57" - i'm 60" :D

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:03 pm 

livi demands it has cup holders.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:35 pm 

doesn't tether, but it does have two cup holders. which is important to hold one sippy cup and another for small toys-my son demanded that because the carseat he had in grandmas car had a cup holder and his old carseat in mine did not-which is just a tragedy for a kid.