| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cold weather activities-it's that time of year!!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:25 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

I remember someone posting about this a while back. What do you do with your kids indoors on these long, cold days? My kids are 3 and 1.5. If it were just my 3 yo I know I could be a lot more creative but given my kids' closeness in age it makes it a little difficult.

My kids spend a lot of time playing on their own but I try to do at least one fun, messy and/or dangerous activity that involves me. The most popular of late:

-throw couch pillows on the ground and let them jump off the couch onto them (with some help from me). Make the pillows a "bed" or a fort. Read books and have a picnic on it.
-bowls of flour at the table with various mixing spoons, measuring cups/spoons etc. It's very messy but I have the vacuum handy and clean up right after. I combine this with baking cookies.
-My oldest used to "do the dishes". Yes, it wastes a little water but it was super fun.
-my favorite and they play a long time with this one-laid down a sheet in the playroom and out out a tupperware bin full of dried beans/noodles next to our toy kitchen. Pulled out all our toy kitchenware and let them go to town. They stay on the queen size sheet and clean up is a snap. Just gather up the sheet with the stray beans and dump them back in the container. Put the lid back on and use the dried goods for the next go round.

I can mostly supervise and drink my coffee which makes me very happy and forces me to sit down for a minute.

Post subject: Re: Cold weather activities-it's that time of year!!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:38 pm 
Married to the wolfman

It doesn't get super cold here, but it does get super rainy, and that's a big problem because the Emperor and I usually spend 6 or 7 hours outdoors every day. He gets bored SUPER fast at home and I get bored too and it's just a bad situation. We're getting better at it though and I do have a couple of fun ideas. (He's 14ish months old, by the way.)

I like the bowls of flour idea! Maybe putting down a tarp or something first.

We "do the dishes" too. That's one of his favorite indoor activities.

He likes to sit up on this stepstool/chair we have in the kitchen and "help" me cook anything.

We have a variety of musical instruments we mess with. He has a bunch of dinky little keyboards, egg shaker, tambourine, maracas, and the very best, the acoustic guitar. (Oh, and this little noise machine thing that solipsistnation could tell you more about, I'll point him at this thread.)

We read billions of books.

We take unnecessary baths. He loves bath time, so I don't care if his last bath was even less than 24 hours ago, if he gets too rammy I'll plop him in there.

I bundle him up and let him play in the backyard, rain and cold and all. He becomes a little mudball pretty quickly, but that's okay, I just take him inside, strip him down, and we have another bath. He has a waterproof rain jacket and rain boots and I want to get him some waterproof rain pants too... even with just the jacket and the boots, he really doesn't get very wet or very cold.

We watch videos on YouTube. I try not to do this too much, but it's saved my tired asparagus more than once. I have yet to meet a little kid who didn't groove to "En Den Dino."

I want to try finger painting with him? Seems messy but fun.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:43 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

yeah, i started that other thread. it's got some good ideas in it. viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2633

my toddler is already going stir crazy... i am just going crazy.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:03 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Shannon wrote:
-my favorite and they play a long time with this one-laid down a sheet in the playroom and out out a tupperware bin full of dried beans/noodles next to our toy kitchen. Pulled out all our toy kitchenware and let them go to town. They stay on the queen size sheet and clean up is a snap. Just gather up the sheet with the stray beans and dump them back in the container. Put the lid back on and use the dried goods for the next go round.

Thanks for the beans tip! just did this with the 2 and 3 y old. got to do counting pasta with the eldest while the youngest is pouring stuff from container to container.

we're lucky that we have ontario early years centres that offer free programming for children during the day-only 2 blocks away twice a week.

Activities I do at home:
-all kinds of arts and crafts: painting, gluing, collages that are body sized/shaped etc.
-numbers and letters work and activities
-storytime
-dance time
-exercise/yoga
-playing music with instruments to different types of music (bachata, reggae etc.)