| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Is it wrong to say no Nintendo DS light?
Yes, it's wrong, you old fossil 16%  16%  [ 12 ]
No, it's prudent 30%  30%  [ 23 ]
Who knows? Just make the call 17%  17%  [ 13 ]
What's a Nintendo DS light? 21%  21%  [ 16 ]
I don't know, either 17%  17%  [ 13 ]
Total votes : 77
 Post subject: Unbending Luddite or Prudent Parent?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:07 pm 
Grandfathered In

My niece can get GlueGun a Nintendo DS light for Xmas, free. She's asking me and Mrs. Face whether it's okay. I say enough is enough already. Enough with the too-extravagant toys.

Post subject: Re: Unbending Luddite or Prudent Parent?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:21 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

For me it would depend on a LOT of factors; does he already have video games and is he good if you set limits on their use? Are you up for shelling out for games he wants or will it become a headache? Is there something else he (and you) might enjoy more?

It's easy for me to be more objective on this because we're nowhere near it, but if someone wanted to buy Dax something like one of those Leapfrog computer thingamajigs, I think I'd have a problem with it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:25 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I know i'm not a parent, but I don't think a DS is too extravagant, but if you already have issues with gluegun not wanting to geto ff the computer or just having too much screen time in general then he probably doesn't need one. Has he been asking for one? If it's something he hasn't been asking for then I think you should skip it. I got the first game boy after SO MUCH BEGGING. and also, yeah, games are expensive, so that's a pretty big factor. a free ds isn't worth it if you dont want to buy many $30 games

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:25 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

If you're a luddite, then so am I. I think it's kind of ridiculous that kids have to be plugged into some sort of electronic 24/7, so I tend to be anti-electronics for kids. When I was growing up, the only time I ever really had conversations with my mom was in the car to and from school, so I think it sucks that cars come equipped with DVD players to keep the kids "quiet." And it's doubly ridiculous that now some of them come with two DVD players so that siblings don't even have to learn to negotiate with each other or take turns or anything. Everyone can be plugged into their own individual entertainment and never interact with each other at all. BAH!

I foresee having many, many arguments with Mr. Sunflower about this in my future.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:33 pm 
Grandfathered In

Screen time is already an issue. I know! I'll start a screen time thread.

Here it is.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:37 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Sunflower wrote:
If you're a luddite, then so am I. I think it's kind of ridiculous that kids have to be plugged into some sort of electronic 24/7, so I tend to be anti-electronics for kids. When I was growing up, the only time I ever really had conversations with my mom was in the car to and from school, so I think it sucks that cars come equipped with DVD players to keep the kids "quiet." And it's doubly ridiculous that now some of them come with two DVD players so that siblings don't even have to learn to negotiate with each other or take turns or anything. Everyone can be plugged into their own individual entertainment and never interact with each other at all. BAH!

I foresee having many, many arguments with Mr. Sunflower about this in my future.

I hate that too so, so much. I mean, I get having something for an hours-long car trip, but you KNOW kids are going to want to use those all the time! Yuck.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:42 pm 
Grandfathered In

My concern about the DS is that it creates one more thing to fight and negotiate about. Mrs. Face says, "What's one more thing? We're already fighting about this stuff," which to me is silly. If we're already having these problems, why add to them?

Also, her comment to me that "lots of his friends have them" left me cold.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:49 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

I was always frustrated with my parents as a kid because they wouldn't let me play video games (but they'd let my brothers) or spend extended time tinkering with the computer. I didn't get the early learning I would have needed to really get into programming or game design, two things I'm really interested now but am woefully behind the curve on at 23.
So when parents refuse to let their children near electronics, that's what I think of.

If he does end up getting a DS it might not be a big deal. There are a lot of games that require the user to create and could up help him understand how games are designed or made, like Wario Ware and Drawn to Life. Also, super fantastic games for building vocabulary and word relationship understanding, like Scribblenauts and Super Scribblenauts. Or very challenging puzzle games that test your ability to use logic or math or solve problems, like the Professor Layton series. From what you've posted on the board, I think those games would really suit him. I mean, who wouldn't want to make a zombie Jesus riding a pink raptor to solve a puzzle?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:54 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

I am with you FF. Sprog asked for one (continues to ask for one) and I continue to say no.
She has issues with screen time already and tends to become a zombie, so the answer will continue to be no.

And before I definitively become the unbending Luddite, let me say: she got the wii instead of the DS so that she could play with us, socially, and with friends, instead of holing up alone and playing alone. My cousin has one that he lets her use a lot and that's exactly what happens: she holes up and zones out and four hours later you have to practically put the vulcan finger magic on her to get her to let go of the blessed thing.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:04 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I think ultimately you and Mrs. FootFace are the parents, and if you two aren't comfortable with it, then it's a no. What's right for other kids isn't necessarily what's right for GlueGun and vice versa. Fork getting him toys just so he can have what his friends have.

Does GlueGun really want one or something? Or is this just an opportunity that has presented itself? If he hasn't even expressed interest in one, then I wouldn't personally even consider bringing it into the picture.

ETA: And I say this as more or less the most bendy non-Luddite parent out there.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:45 pm 
Grandfathered In

He has said he wants one, yeah, but it wasn't even on his xmas list. I think he knew he couldn't have one. But the opportunity just came up. We already got him a way too expensive lego thing for xmas.

Mrs. Face wants to get him the DS. I'm the Scrooge in this, not her.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:53 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I don't think you're being a scrooge on this, but if you do end up getting him one maybe you can just not not let him play with the iphones anymore, so it'll just be a replacement screen instead of an additional one.
That's tough, Footie! I have a DS and I had to hide it away while I'm in school because it's just too much to deal with.

If we have kids I'm sure they will have every video game and I hope we don't totally screw them up because of it! It'd be hard to say a kid couldn't have a video game when their parent(s) were constantly playing them. (i meant eppy's dungeon master and me, not you obviously)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:00 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I think things will be fine either way. I think Idji's suggestion to drop another electronic if he gets this one makes a lot of sense.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:11 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'd probably let him have it, but with stuff stipulations. Making it very clear from the beginning that it will be taken away for x amount of time if he goes over his alotted usage. This is what we did with Shae's ipod touch and it's worked out pretty well. He knows if he doesn't do his chores or forgets to do homework, that the touch is gone for a week, no negotiations.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:12 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Every kid I know whose parents were harsh about video games played them like MAD when they went to a friends house. I don't think that it's a big deal. You can control the when/where/how's.

LUDDITE!!!

Mrs. Foot is always right. (Repeat after me...)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:28 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I just know that I'm not holding any grudges for things I did or didn't get. Could you maybe save it for a birthday present if you don't want to go crazy with the gifts all at once? That we he still gets it, you and Mrs. Face get to come to an agreement, and GlueGun still gets an awesome toy, just not all at once? If he doesn't even know about it at this point (does he?), I'm guessing just holding off wouldn't hurt.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:40 pm 
Married to the wolfman

designedtobekind wrote:
I just know that I'm not holding any grudges for things I did or didn't get. Could you maybe save it for a birthday present if you don't want to go crazy with the gifts all at once? That we he still gets it, you and Mrs. Face get to come to an agreement, and GlueGun still gets an awesome toy, just not all at once? If he doesn't even know about it at this point (does he?), I'm guessing just holding off wouldn't hurt.

Oh! I like this idea! It seems like it could be a good compromise.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:56 pm 
Inflexitarian

does the game involve killing? If yes, then I say no. but then child would have no access to any toys I guess.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:27 pm 
Waited in a line late at night for some stuff

When I was little we'd make three round trips from Kentucky to Iowa every year, and a handheld game would've been nice for the long car ride. Maybe it can be something he can't use at home, but on long car rides, waiting room waits, and such?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:57 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I don't have kids, but my mom never let me play video games (not even at my friends houses) and I turned out okay! thats much more tyrannical than just saying no to a DS.

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:14 pm 
Be afraid... be very afraid

My kids each have one, and to be honest, it hasn't been that much of a problem. The DSs are great for long car trips, unexpected waits in offices, etc., and for trips to relatives that are not kid friendly. Day to day, my philosophy on DSs has been documented in the screen time thread and I won't repeat it here, but I will say, that with the exception of a brief Super Mario Bros. phase, they would much rather play game apps on the iphone.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:51 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I'm having the same kind of issues with my family wanting to buy Malcolm some sort of hand held glowing screen. I don't know if it's a leap frog thing, or a game boy (DS, or whatever they are now), but whatever it is, he doesn't need one more thing to stare at all day long and freak out when I say it's time to turn it off.
I think the argument that everyone else has one is pretty weak, as is "but it's educational!". Just because it's educational doesn't mean he needs it.
If you're feeling like it's going to be a bad idea, it probably is.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:16 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I said I don't know because I am with the I don't have enough info camp. Things like age, amount of time spent with video games already and will this then set the precedent that Xmas is a big cash run are all factors for me. My 12 year old son does indeed have a DSLite. He has a few video game consoles. He also reads more than a half hour a day, plays outside unless it's frigid and completes all of his homework the minute he gets home so although it could dominate his life, it doesn't. My son is a natural solitary soul who prefers doing things somewhat by himself so I was both in favor of his having something to do and wary because I didn't want him to be anti social but...video games really is his social outlet. He has friends he plays against, has made friends by talking about or teaching strategies to new friends etc. So I guess I am not much help but you and Mrs. Footface will have to come to an agreement and back each other up. I am usually the voice of no no no in my house with my husband stepping in to try to make me more "reasonable"(I think I am plenty reasonable thank you very much!) so I definitely feel your pain.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:12 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I think the Pros of a DS (especially v. other video game systems) are the games ARE fairly inexpensive ($5-$30) compared to full sized video game systems (why yes, I have bought my husband $60-$80 games), they have a LOT of learning and exploration and creative games, they are awesome in waiting rooms (I spend a lot of time in waiting rooms with kids for my job. It has been a lifesaver for me.), and they are really easy to take away and hide as needed. I think if it's rolled into the screen time total for the day, it's just another option. I don't in any way think it's necessary though, and I don't think he's going to suffer for not having one either.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:29 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

my kids have ds'. well my daughter has some old beat up one and she pushes buttons on it. but with my son it's great on road trips, doctors offices-it seems like I'm always in kid unfriendly ones. It's also great on sick days, I admit he played it all day two days ago when he had chronic low blood sugars and I just wanted him to stop moving cause life was crazy. we usually buy games used at a local video game store-the ds ones are pretty cheap used. if he gets too bratty with it goes up to the top of the refrigerator-that's when he knows he's in trouble. I don't know what I'm going to do when he's tall enough to reach that!