| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: U.S. to ban drop side cribs.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:38 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

The ban goes into effect by June.

I guess it makes sense. I don't even remember seeing a recall for a crib that didn't have a drop side (not saying they don't exist).

Post subject: Re: U.S. to ban drop side cribs.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:46 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

i have a drop side crib for my son, it's probably thirty years old and we've never had a problem. although it gets used as a climbing frame more than a bed, seeing as he sleeps in our bed...but then again, you'd think our son would be more "at risk" of being harmed by his dangerous crib. seriously, this is the stupidest thing i ever heard. when are people going to stop suing everyone and start taking some personal responsibility??? i mean the people who experienced cribs falling apart would have been the same people who purchased the crib, brought it home and assembled it yeah?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:02 pm 
Inflexitarian

❀madam dahlia❀ wrote:
seriously, this is the stupidest thing i ever heard. when are people going to stop suing everyone and start taking some personal responsibility??? i mean the people who experienced cribs falling apart would have been the same people who purchased the crib, brought it home and assembled it yeah?

The reason they're being banned is because babies get trapped like this and suffocate:
If there's been so many deaths occurring with drop side cribs, obviously there's some kind of design flaw and it's best to take them off of the market.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:14 pm 

The article didn't say anything about lawsuits just the number of infant deaths (36 since 2007). It also says "the new regulation also enforces stronger crib mattress and sturdier hardware and more rigorous safety testing of cribs." Maybe older drop side cribs are safer because like many products on the market today newer cribs aren't made with as high quality parts as they could be?

If a specific style of crib is so susceptible to user error that it results in multiple deaths and a safety recall (not that user error seems to come into play every time, I thought there had been plenty of hardware issues, too) I don't think it's unfair to put some of the blame on the manufacturers.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:39 pm 
Saggy Butt

❀madam dahlia❀ wrote:
i have a drop side crib for my son, it's probably thirty years old and we've never had a problem. although it gets used as a climbing frame more than a bed, seeing as he sleeps in our bed...but then again, you'd think our son would be more "at risk" of being harmed by his dangerous crib. seriously, this is the stupidest thing i ever heard. when are people going to stop suing everyone and start taking some personal responsibility??? i mean the people who experienced cribs falling apart would have been the same people who purchased the crib, brought it home and assembled it yeah?

Who said anything about suing? The cribs are dangerous and millions being recalled means the waste of lots of money and natural resources, not to mention the poor 36!!!! children who suffocated because their cribs broke while they were sleeping.

If manufacturers are making shoddy products that kill people, it's our government's job to enact laws to protect the people from such business practices. I'm very glad to hear about this ban, along with the other regulations put into place by the law to make sure that all cribs are safer whether babies sleep in them or use them as a climbing gym.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:39 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I saw this, and honestly, I'm not sure what they suggest for short people such as myself. I always had trouble dropping down the sides of my friends cribs, and when the babies were sleeping, I was kind of SOL because I couldn't reach to the bottom of the crib to lay the baby down, so it was either just DROP the baby into the crib, jarring it awake, or only put a conscious child in the crib. (My choice was always just to let the baby sleep on me until it woke up rather that drop it into a crib, but if it was my child, I imagine I'd not actually be able to choose this solution every time my child fell asleep outside of the crib) On the flip side, also could not lift a crying baby out of the crib... or any baby who was big enough to sit/stand but was not actually doing so. So what are the vertically challenged to do?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:40 pm 
Saggy Butt

rabidchild wrote:
I saw this, and honestly, I'm not sure what they suggest for short people such as myself. I always had trouble dropping down the sides of my friends cribs, and when the babies were sleeping, I was kind of SOL because I couldn't reach to the bottom of the crib to lay the baby down, so it was either just DROP the baby into the crib, jarring it awake, or only put a conscious child in the crib. (My choice was always just to let the baby sleep on me until it woke up rather that drop it into a crib, but if it was my child, I imagine I'd not actually be able to choose this solution every time my child fell asleep outside of the crib) On the flip side, also could not lift a crying baby out of the crib... or any baby who was big enough to sit/stand but was not actually doing so. So what are the vertically challenged to do?

Use a step stool?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:46 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Little My wrote:
rabidchild wrote:

Use a step stool?

Don't know how safe I'd feel standing on a step stool, leaning over, holding a baby.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:51 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Not all cribs have to be at the same height. Usually it's adjusted to be the most comfortable for the parent - i.e. a tall person wouldn't make their crib short because they'd be bending over really far every time they had to put the baby down. You'd just adjust your crib to not be really tall if you're short.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:20 pm 

i know where you're coming from megan. our crib isn't drop side, and i had a hell of a time getting my sleeping baby gently down to the mattress.

the only part of a crib that i've seen adjust is where the mattress lay, and when your child reaches a certain amount of mobility it's necessary you drop the mattress down for their safety. as a short person, that's where the problem starts for me. the height of the railing is such that i cannot comfortably reach in, but it needs to be high enough my kid cannot climb out. the only other way i can see myself having an easier time reaching in is if the legs are shorter... i am now considering having my husband take a saw to our cribs legs....

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:33 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I'm 4'10", and when I've babysat, I've had trouble putting a baby into or taking a baby out of a crib even with the drop side. I've also got some problems with my shoulders, and trying to reach my arms further than I should, especially while holding something (or someone), could pretty easily lead to a dislocated shoulder for me. I'm pretty sure that, when I have kids, I'm going to get one of the cribs that's designed for parents who use wheelchairs, like this one http://www.disabledparents.net/crib.html (The one at that link is custom-made, but there are a few on the market that have the same sort of sides that swing open.)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:16 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I have a rod in my back so it's all sorts of awkward getting a baby into a tall crib-so I went to a billion stores and found one that was very low to the ground-it was a bit more expensive-in fact the brand is "million dollar baby". There was no recall or mention of this when we were shopping around for crib #2 but I noticed a lot at toys r us were very shakey and unstable-might be the design or whoever put them together sucked. We had a drop side one with our oldest but it was just a $200 blanket holder since he liked to cosleep. I gave it to a family that had absolutely nothing for their baby and I hope they got notice of the recall.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:30 am 
Nooch of Earl

Land of Nod sells cribs that claim to be lower than traditional ones so a drop side is unnecessary, but I'm not sure how much lower and haven't seen them in person. I'm average height, mostly planning to use a cosleeper or similar, but would like a crib for naps. It always seems like whatever safety feature that replaces the baby-killing horror of yesteryear turns out to be just as dangerous, so I have very little confidence in the safety recommendations at this point!! (Like: remember when crib bumpers were a safety necessity because otherwise babies would get their heads stuck in the slats? Now the bumpers kill!)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:42 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I'm only 5', but I don't really have an issue getting my daughter into her non-drop-side crib at home; however, I can't do it with the crib at my mother-in-law's. So I think some cribs must be lower (i.e., shorter legs) than others. Maybe trying them out at the store and seeing what works best for you?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:43 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

ismloveyoubobbybrown wrote:
The ban goes into effect by June.

I guess it makes sense. I don't even remember seeing a recall for a crib that didn't have a drop side (not saying they don't exist).

I thought the ban was already in effect...or maybe stores have already stopped selling them?

Our drop side crib for Reno was recalled while she was still using it. We still have it because the way the recall worked would leave us without a crib for at least 2-3 weeks. We are going to see if we can still return it to get a new one for #2 growing inside of me.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:52 pm 

At the end of the article it says retailers have already been phasing them out.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:13 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Fellow short people: if you are looking for cribs go to Ikea. They have a cute low crib for just over $100.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:34 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

I don't know how I feel about this. Statistically, 36 babies isn't a lot of deaths, but of course, if there's truly a fatal flaw in these cribs, they should be banned, absolutely. Is it the construction, not the basic design, that's the issue? Because we want inexpensive items and what we get for it is shoddy work? I don't know. I'm pretty sure I had a drop-side crib growing up. With Uli we skipped the crib altogether and she had her own double bed on the floor; I liked that arrangement very much.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:34 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Cran, i think i would go your route next time,or just buy a king sized bed for all of us. We have a drop side (with a side off, side carred) and i am hoping to have my son start sleeping independently (non side carred) in the next several months. the crib was supposed to be okay for using 3 sided toddler bed and we can't afford anything else right now. I have no idea what we are going to do.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:22 am 

jildez wrote:
the crib was supposed to be okay for using 3 sided toddler bed and we can't afford anything else right now. I have no idea what we are going to do.

If you're talking about using a drop side crib with the side removed, I still think you're safe. The problem with drop side cribs is babies getting caught betwixt the crib and the drop side, like the picture keenie posted. If that part of the crib is removed to create a toddler bed, I don't think the safety risk is really there any more.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:14 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

the one we have is old, it seems very sturdy- but both sides can drop. I feel like it should be secure, and i feel okay about using it with him in our room now (the side that is on is up against the wall and our bed is against his crib), but i wonder if we transition him into a bedroom of his own in it, would it be okay?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:14 pm 
Nooch of Earl

jildez wrote:
the one we have is old, it seems very sturdy- but both sides can drop. I feel like it should be secure, and i feel okay about using it with him in our room now (the side that is on is up against the wall and our bed is against his crib), but i wonder if we transition him into a bedroom of his own in it, would it be okay?

These seems like a problem quickly solved with some giant wood screws and a power drill.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:47 pm 
ol' garly cooch

i feel like such a shitty mom for not having changed my crib. we have no money for a new crib. i had no idea these were so dangerous!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:21 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

jewbacca wrote:
i feel like such a shitty mom for not having changed my crib. we have no money for a new crib. i had no idea these were so dangerous!

Ditto. Argh.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:43 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Most cribs have 2-3 adjustable mattress heights. You have to take it half apart to adjust but it is fine. Henry's had 3 different heights and I could lay him down on the highest two settings even though I am short.

Our Ikea crib only has two settings and it is tricky to lay her down on the low setting. until she got s little bigger, I couldn't lay her down while she was sleeping because my arms didn't reach.

I have never had a drop side crib and actually refused several offered to me. They never seemed safe even without the recalls. I am glad they are being phased out.