| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tell me non-frightening c section stories
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:03 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Just finally reregistered from the move from the old boards but I was never too much of a poster before - hence the name (used to be noodlehead).

Anyways, I'm 36 weeks prego & we're expecting two little boys. Baby A's breech so we have a c section scheduled in 2 weeks. I've never had any major surgery before and I'm kinda squeemish. I'm sure it'll all be fine but it'd be cool to hear "good" c section stories if anyone's got em.

Post subject: Re: Tell me non-frightening c section stories
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:29 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I had an unplanned c with my daughter. We were devastated at the time, but now I'm at peace with it. It was so fast; all of a sudden, there was Luna! She was completely healthy and I healed way quicker than I thought I would. Good luck! Can't wait for you to meet your boys!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:12 am 
Saggy Butt

2 little boys! AWESOME! My boy was breech and I had an emergency cesarean. I have nothing bad to say about it at all.
Stress free for you and your babies which is the most important thing.
So excited for you!!
(((HUGS)))

Breeder of dust bunnies.
Hermit in training.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:14 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I've had two c-sections. My first was after taking Bradley classes and being certain I was going to have a natural childbirth. My second was scheduled.

I had really pleasant experiences both times. Didn't feel a thing and I was very alert and able to watch everything and nurse my babies right after. I was very sore of course, but they really push you to get up and moving around as soon as it is safe to do so, and I can't recommend that enough. Just slowly walking around eases the soreness so much and makes your recovery quicker and easier.

Twins, how exciting!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:13 am 
And you never will.

I can't speak from personal experience, but my sister was in exactly the same situation as you with her first ones. Two boys, baby A was breech, scheduled C-section. Everything went perfectly, she didn't have much pain, the recovery went well and now they are almost 8!

I hope you have a lot of support around you to help out in those first days/weeks - taking care of twins is a lot of work, and to do it while recovering from surgery is even harder. Take ALL the help that is offered to you, and if people ask what they can do, be honest about what would be most helpful. Let them wash your dishes and do your laundry if that is what you most need - they wouldn't be asking if they didn't genuinely want to help.

Congratulations and I hope everything goes well!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:24 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

my sister had one earlier this year due to a huge baby-her daughter is 17 months younger than my daughter and they are the same weight and almost same size! she had a hard time getting around at first because it is surgery and she lived in a house full of stairs. she also had a great lactation consultant come in to show her different positions because it was a lot different than nursing her other babies.
congrats! I get a little jealous when I see moms with little baby boys. I miss my son at that age!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:39 am 
Nooch of Earl

Haven't had one so no story here, but I was at a shower with a woman who thought there were plusses and minuses to both types of delivery but thought her section was simple, straightforward, and necessary. It's rare to be able to deliver twins vaginally from what I understand! One important thing, from a vegan perspective, to watch out for is if you intend to breastfeed, be vigilant about what, if anything, they give the babies after they're born. Sometimes babies will be given water or formula right after birth if mom's out of it which can make latching harder. Make sure they and your partner, if applicable, know your preferences and that someone can serve as your advocate while you recover.

The surgery itself is very common one these days. Check out this blog - Our Vegan Pregnancy - the author is a mother who, like I assume you are!, was a vegan pregnant with twins. They were delivered by planned csection healthy and huge at birth! Maybe you could write to her with any questions?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:51 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I had an unplanned c-section with my first son. Other than the fact that I was surprised my labor ended that way and that was a bit more work finding someone who would let me have a VBAC this time around I have no ill-feelings about the experience.

Your partner cannot be in the room when you get the spinal tap, but after that they can be with you the whole time. My surgery went very smoothly, and as soon as my baby was out he was within the eyesight of my husband or myself at all times. Immediately upon leaving the operating room they put him on me for skin-to-skin contact (seriously, I think we were in a hallway waiting for an elevator back up to my room). Our hospital had babies rooming-in with their parents so no one did anything we didn't first okay, and our breastfeeding relationship was highly encouraged from the start. The hospitals policy was that if a newborn lost a certain percentage of their birth weight than they would suggest formula, etc.

I didn't have any problems recovering. I was also encouraged to get up and moving as soon as possible, like someone else mentioned, and it really does help. There was pain and discomfort, but it was pretty well managed. It's kind of nice because surgery is never really fun, but what other procedure leaves with an adorable baby (or two)?!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:55 am 
Saggy Butt

i don't have a non-frightening story, but i agree that you should take as much help as people offer! i was pretty useless in the early days of recovering from the c-section (though i didn't realize it at the time). you are so consumed with the fact that there is this new baby that it's easy to forget that you just had a major surgery! (or, at least, this was the case for me.) my dad & my best friend helped with doing some baby laundry & bringing over food, which was the best thing ever -- i probably wouldn't have even remembered (or been too tired!) to feed myself if they hadn't.

also, i like my scar. it's actually pretty small -- for some reason, i imagined it would have to be this giant, hideous thing -- but i really like my little badge of honor.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:05 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

i didn't have a Csection, but i had twins, and if i had had a c-section, one of my daughters would have had significantly fewer medical problems as a result of birth. i don't beat myself up about it (any more) but i was so anti-C-section and hysterically terrified that the OB decided not to do a section although it was really, really medically necessary.
i'm not trying to make your reservations sound insignificant, i can sympathize since i was so afraid and vehement myself, but if i had known what the consequences to my baby were going to be, i would have let them cut me open with a rusty knife and no meds, no complaints.

congrats to you, twin high fives, everything will be fine.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:27 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

twins! awesome! my brother and his wife have 2 beautiful little girl twins and I think they are just amazing!

anyway - I had an emergency C-section with my daughter and I have to say, I was devastated and angry at the time but it ended up being ok. My problem stemmed from being in the hospital for 3 days afterwards, which I hated hated hated. I feel like I rant about this all the time but my nurses refused to listen to my adamant request that they not give my baby formula. Technically we were "rooming in" but they'd always come take her at some odd hour (once in the middle of the night, thanks!) and when they'd brought her back, her chart would read "4oz of formula". For a day old baby, whose stomach is so tiny! The bottles completely ruined our breastfeeding relationship because she refused to latch on to my bare nipple and I was unable to get much done pumping after the first 3 months. I just hope you end up in a more sympathetic, non-hostile environment.

I had planned a natural, birthing center birth and that didn't happen. But I had a beautiful daughter and honestly a very short healing time - I was dying to go out and walk around within 5 days or so! all the best to you.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:02 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Thanks for all of the support! It's really helping to ease my anxiety. I think that I'm pretty lucky with this in a lot of ways. I never would have thought pre-pregnancy that I'd be ok with a section but baby A's been breech for so long that I've been able to wrap my head around the fact that it's what's gotta happen.

I'm sorry to hear that Torque, I really appreciate you sharing that perspective. Something similar just happened to a friend who had a singelton. The baby had to get flown to another hospital and was there for more than a month because of complications.That was what really made me accept getting a section. You've definitely helped to reinforce that. Thanks.

I've just felt crazy lately. I've been between an ob and a high risk dr. since they're twins and see rotating drs. at both. I've been told that baby A was breech pretty much the whole pregnancy - then a few visits ago, one dr. disagreed - but never mentioned it to me. The next time I went back to the regular ob (seeing a different dr.) they asked me whether or not I wanted to deliver regularly (after asking me to get a date to schedule th c the visit before) and told me that baby A wasn't breech... it just kinda blew my mind (and opened up my pandora's box of neurotic thoughts). I thought that they were mistaken (which the high risk later confirmed) but it made me start to question if a section was really necessary/responsible. Last ultrasound the tech and Dr. told me that my guys are positioned really crazy so I understand why there was confusion and that a c is the way I need to go.

I guess the confusion/frustration has even been helpful cause it helped me to decide to only schedule with certain drs. from here on out. And one of my favorite's is on the day we scheduled. Now I just hope they hang in till then. Luckily they seem like they will - though I'm not counting on anything.

I'm really happy that I've been able to prepare mentally cause it's got to be terrifying mid-way through labor. Think I'm just freaking out when I let myself think of the actual particulars of the surgery.... so I'm just going to try to focus on all of the positives that you've listed.

I'm really concerned about being able to try to breastfeed them asap and want skin-to-skin contact asap. Thankfully the hospital I'm delivering at is very pro-breastfeeding (Audrey - I feel for you. I'd be pissed if I went through that) and has a really good nicu/seems to be very pro early contact. I'm mostly worried that being woosey from painkillers will be an issue but I'm trying not to stress.

I'm definitely gonna take whatever help I can get. Little bit worried about how that'll play out cause we've got plenty of crazy on both sides. But everyone's got mostly good intentions and I figure it won't be that hard to suck it up and just deal if it helps me get to focus on the lil ones. Our apt isn't that big anyway so it can't become too much of a circus... in theory.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:12 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I had an emergency c-section with my youngest son. The c-section was a lot less of a big deal than the emergency situation that led to the c-section...it was not nearly as painful as they'd have you believe, the recovery was not a huge problem (I'm not officially advising anyone to go against medical advice, of course, but I did several things I wasn't "supposed" to do before the recovery time was up, like driving and going up stairs - seriously, I lived in a 2nd-floor apartment and had an older child. Did they expect me to stay in bed for 6 weeks??), and the scarring is minimal.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:24 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I had a c-section because after an hour of pushing, my doctor said "so, what do you want to do?" I replied "what the hell are you talking about?" He said "Oh, that baby's not going anywhere but you can keep pushing if you want to." I told him to make with the surgery already.

I threw up about 3 times during surgery but my kid almost topped out on the apgar scale. He was a really big baby with a giant head. He was literally stuck in my pelvis and without a c-section both of us would have died. The only reason I didn't get to breastfeed right away is --I was messy because I threw up and they wanted to check him for water on the brain. (HUGE HEAD)
Everyone was fine after. I breast fed without a problem.

You need to do what will give you a happy, healthy baby with the least risk to you. I get really pissed off when someone feels guilty or angry because they need to have a medically necessary surgery. I am in the minority perhaps but I don't think birth should be granted some sort of mystical status.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:39 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Vantine wrote:
I am in the minority perhaps but I don't think birth should be granted some sort of mystical status.

Thank you. I have gotten knee-jerk judgments from some of the more sanctimonious among us (but no one here!) for having a c-section by people who knew nothing of the condition that led to it, including the facts that Phoenix and I would both be dead without the c-section. It's not like I planned to have HELLP syndrome! Every birth is different, and no one should feel guilty for doing what they need to do to make sure everyone comes out of it safely.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:21 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

My non-scary c-section story:

I'd ended up going in for a c-section when my water broke and my baby was breech. I had to be alone with the nurses and anesthesia while they put in the spinal, and that was the most worrisome part (being away from my husband) but he was quickly allowed to join me (I didn't feel the spinal, btw, even though they'd warned me it might feel like a bee sting). After I was laying down and the drape set-up, I could feel some pressure but no pain in my abdomen. We'd asked the surgeon to let my husband announce the sex (we didn't know. But you'll be ready to see your sweet twin boys!). I think it was just after she was delivered that I felt the pressure in my diaphragm/chest. It was awful and painful, but I'd read about it as a possibility (non-scientific, laymen explanation: the air rushing into your abdomen can off-set the pressure in your body, making your chest feel tight) so I wasn't afraid, and the anesthesiologist was watching me closely and noticed my discomfort, and when I couldn't easily respond to him asking if I was okay he quickly gave me some demerol and I then I felt fine. Loopy-ish, but fine. My husband brought our daughter to my head so I could see her and touch her and they stitched me back up. The surgeon was called away to an emergency after stitching my uterus and she gave me the option of having my abdomen being stapled up by her or being stitched up by the attending. I wanted to avoid staples so I okay'd the other doc to do the stitches. I struggled with breastfeeding, perhaps partially due to the section, but I also discovered I had a thyroid condition which may have contributed too, so hard to say. But we made it, breast-feeding-wise and my abdomen healed quickly and well (I had great support, didn't have to cook or clean or anything for more than a week once home) and my scar is barely noticable. All in all, I wasn't hoping for a c-section, but I'd say everything turned out well. And it will for you too! Hurrah for twins!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:22 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

lurky mclurkerson wrote:
Think I'm just freaking out when I let myself think of the actual particulars of the surgery.... so I'm just going to try to focus on all of the positives that you've listed.

Not for nothing, but when you think about the particulars of labor, it's also a bit overwhelming.... "I'm going to take this eight pound baby and pass it WHERE???" You'll do fine.

And I totally agree, Amethyst. You do what you have to do, and haterz should just zip it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:08 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

torque wrote:
lurky mclurkerson wrote:
Think I'm just freaking out when I let myself think of the actual particulars of the surgery.... so I'm just going to try to focus on all of the positives that you've listed.

Not for nothing, but when you think about the particulars of labor, it's also a bit overwhelming.... "I'm going to take this eight pound baby and pass it WHERE???" You'll do fine.

And I totally agree, Amethyst. You do what you have to do, and haterz should just zip it.

Anyone who would criticize someone for doing what was medically necessary to deliver a healthy baby is an asparagus.

Your surgery will be fine. Focus on the desired end result - healthy babies and a healthy mom. Almost no one throws up. Although, the fact that I threw up on my now ex-husband's head brings me great joy.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:09 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

amethyst wrote:
Vantine wrote:
I am in the minority perhaps but I don't think birth should be granted some sort of mystical status.

Thank you. I have gotten knee-jerk judgments from some of the more sanctimonious among us (but no one here!) for having a c-section by people who knew nothing of the condition that led to it, including the facts that Phoenix and I would both be dead without the c-section. It's not like I planned to have HELLP syndrome! Every birth is different, and no one should feel guilty for doing what they need to do to make sure everyone comes out of it safely.

I had a baby stuck! Stuck! It took two people to unstick him during surgery.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:43 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Hope I'm not coming off as judgmental about how people deliver. Not my intention. It seems like some people have personal hierarchies in mind when it comes to a desirable birth but I'm in the whatever works for you and yours crowd.

Vantine - I love that your doc told you that you could just "keep on pushing" and that you threw up on the ex. We already make fun of each other for having ginormous heads and a tech seemed to think that the babes will have pretty big domes - so that's definitely a scenario that I've played out in my mind.

Thanks again folks.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:11 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

My son was an unplanned c-section - we thought he would be born at home but later discovered that his head was turned sideways and he was stuck that way. I was sad when the midwife sent us to the hospital but I got with the program pretty quickly.

My husband was with me when I got the epidural and I barely felt it at all. The mental gross-out was worse. When it was time for my husband to suit up for the OR he got totally swimmy and almost fainted so thank God we'd hired a wonderful doula-in-training who came with me while he had some juice and got his act together. She narrated what was happening in the OR and told me that I had a boy. My son was a little out of it and because there was meconium they sent him to the nursery, but my husband stayed with him the whole time. Henry latched on to nurse right away when I got him back and we were unwavering about rooming in - the nurses worked on me and promised rest but I just kept telling them, "He's MY baby. He stays with me." The worst things in the hospital were: no privacy, someone was constantly in my room checking something and being on antibiotics/IV. Maybe the best thing was the tankards of juice with ice that some nurses would bring.

Recovery was ok, I got to go home a day early, and I felt not too shabby in a couple of weeks. Today my scar is seriously invisible except to the touch and I'm proud of it too. A c-section was my biggest fear and I totally made it through and have the most amazing little son. I feel a little weird saying this, but if we do get to have another baby I think I will plan a c-section. The emergency aspect of Henry's birth and the what-could-have-happened have left me with so much fear...not saying it's rational but it might be the right choice for me.

I wish you the very best experience birthing your beautiful boys!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:25 am 
Wears Pleather Undies

Oh wow congratulations - 2 little boys! My sister has twin girls - twins are awesome!

My oldest son was born by a terrible forceps delivery which SHOULD have been a c-section. My youngest was a planned c-section and it was absolutely fine! My epidural didn't take so I ended up having a general so I went to sleep and woke up with a baby in my arms - yay! I felt I was cared for by the hospital staff much better than when I was healing from the 4th degree tear due to the forceps delivery, and when I got home everyone rallied around to help which I'm sure they will with you too. I also healed much quicker than I was told I would too - so all in all it was a really positive experience!

All the best for your delivery!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:29 am 
Wears Pleather Undies

Vantine wrote:
amethyst wrote:
[quote="Vantine"]I am in the minority perhaps but I don't think birth should be granted some sort of mystical status.

I had a baby stuck! Stuck! It took two people to unstick him during surgery.[/quote]

I feel like people automatically are judging me for my section. My baby wouldn't budge either. I pushed for close to 5 hours without her moving down. I never worked so hard in my life. I had already been awake for 2 days. I was exhausted and she just wouldn't go through. And then during the surgery she was really stuck in my pelvic bones. They had to pull her so hard I was scared she would be hurt!

But I do get the feeling from other people that they feel my section wasn't necessary. It peas me off. It's also NONE OF THEIR GOD-DAMNED BUSINESS.

My c-section experience was great. Recovery was a little more difficult than I expected but I think it was compounded by being induced and pushing so hard for so long. I think a scheduled one would have been a little easier.

And I have no desire to have VBAC should I have another (and I hope I do). No thank you. I don't want to go through all that again especially since I also think it will just end in a c-section anyway. I thought the section was much easier than labor. If she got stuck I have no reason to think the next one won't also. She wasn't huge, she was only 7lbs 5 oz.

I was really into all the natural birth things before I had my daughter. Read Spiritual Midwifery and books like that and pictured this spiritual journey. Labor wasn't like that at all. I cried when I decided a section was necessary. I felt like a failure. That all disappeared when she was born.

Good luck and congrats on twin boys!!!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:45 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Wow! Twins! Congratulations!

Thank the deity of your choice for c-sections. They have saved many babies and mothers through the years. Granted, I was not happy to have a c/s, but that was after a very hard and fast labor that had wiped all my energy, and a lot of yelling and screaming and running all over the place with ambulances and stuff. Apparently when the doctor told me we were going to have to do a c/s, I yelled "thank God!" So there you go. They are a blessing.

The actual surgery was so easy compared to labor. Physically at least, definitely not mentally for me, but everyone is different. I was expecting a nice quiet homebirth so of course I was disappointed. I have a feeling that a planned c/s -- where you have time to accept it -- would be much easier to deal with. There are plenty of ways to make the surgery more natural, if you're interested. Check this out: http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2005/ ... eandhealth. I'm going to look into variations of this if I do decide to go the hospital route next time.

I go back and forth trying to decide if I want to go for a HBAC or a planned c/s next time. On one hand, the c/s is what I know, and I know it was pretty easy to recover from in my case (you'll be very sore the first two days, and make sure you have plenty of help around the house for the first few weeks when you get home!) The VBAC is the unknown for me, so it's honestly more scary. It's definitely a tough choice to make, but in the end we do what's right for us and our children. You're going to do great!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:24 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

lurky mclurkerson wrote:
Hope I'm not coming off as judgmental about how people deliver. Not my intention. It seems like some people have personal hierarchies in mind when it comes to a desirable birth but I'm in the whatever works for you and yours crowd.

Vantine - I love that your doc told you that you could just "keep on pushing" and that you threw up on the ex. We already make fun of each other for having ginormous heads and a tech seemed to think that the babes will have pretty big domes - so that's definitely a scenario that I've played out in my mind.

Thanks again folks.

My only advice is bring big slippers to the hospital. I ended up with giant feet from fluid collecting. Oh and don't throw up because you will be on an operating table. There's only one place for the puke to go...Everyone will be busy pulling babies out and they will not make you pretty for awhile.

I think you should give birth however is feasible for you, your babies and medically safe. I do find that the natural birthers sometimes look at me as if I didn't try hard enough. I asked one why women had to bear this burden when no one was asking a man to have major surgery with only a shot of whiskey for pain killer.