| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: rosy cheeks/fever
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:31 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I completely realize that the internet is not the place to diagnose illness, but here's whats going on with us:
our car completely died 2 days before Christmas. Non-salvageable. Then the giant snowstorm hit and my sis-in-law is trapped in our small apartment with us for an extra week (she'll have been with us for almost 3 weeks by the time she gets to go home to California, I feel worse for her than I do us!). And now, there's something weird going on with Dahlia and our pediatrician is all the way on the far side of Brooklyn (and no car + megasnow = we can't get there). Basically, a couple times in the last week she's done some normal waking up in the middle of the night stuff, but when I go get her she is RED HOT. She doesn't seem uncomfortable and is cool again by morning. Also, she often has rosy cheeks upon waking, especially from a daytime nap, but today, the rosiness has not gone away from this morning and I'm pretty sure she's got a fever still.
have any of you brilliant mamas (and papas!) experienced this? should I be more concerned and adamant that we will get to the dr one way or another? Dahlia seems a little more docile than usual, but not much, and she is still playing etc.

Post subject: Re: rosy cheeks/fever
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:51 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

is it very warm in the apartment? do you have a baby thermometer?

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:55 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

nah its not terribly warm, around 70 degrees. And I'm ashamed to say I don't have a thermometer but I'm at work right now and will pick one up before I go home. I'm also reading that this may be a sign she's getting molars (she has all of her teeth except the 2 very back molars) but there's no drooling and she doesn't seem to be in pain. Gaaah I feel really really guilty about not trekking to the dr about this.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:58 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Can you call the doctor's office and talk to a triage nurse? They could give you suggestions and tell you if it's urgent Dahlia be seen.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:04 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

calling the nurse is a good idea!

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:13 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I agree with calling the nurse, though they will probably want to know what her temps have been like. If you get a thermometer and she has a low fever, I wouldn't worry much about it if it doesn't go on for more than a few days! (I don't take Dax's temp very often unless I think it's a high fever; I can tell pretty well if it's low-grade or not.)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:16 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Call the nurse for sure and monitor her temperature. I'm not telling you to not seek medical advice but I know it is some extreme friggin weather out there. It's possible she could have fifth disease which is a viral infection that usually presents with bright red cheeks like that - sometimes they get a rash on their body too, have a fever, or have a runny nose. My friends' kids who have had it have ranged from feeling really ill and miserable to barely noticing anything was wrong. Do all your normal supportive stuff - water, healthy food, lots of rest. If her temp gets quite high or she's acting really off, you'll find a way to get her to the doctor.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:30 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

thanks guys...and yup I read a bit about fifth's disease too. Ugh. She does seem to have a little bit of a runny nose but no rash except for the red cheeks. It's warming up quite a bit here so we can get her to the dr if necessary. I'm just having a hard time being the parent who worries as opposed to my partner who just said "She's fine! So what if she has a fever!" gaah.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:37 pm 
Saggy Butt

There is also a disease that hits mostly kids under age one that causes a high fever but little discomfort. My oldest had it and it was freaky - he was almost perfectly normal except he had a temp of 102-103.

Here we have a nurse line where you can call a nurse for advice - do you have anything like that there? Sometimes it really is nothing but sometimes it's not and worried parents can't always tell the difference. It's good to be reassured.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:37 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Hoping all is well. The little man always gets a little fever hovering around 100 at night), rosy cheeks and a runny runny nose when he is teething. i hope that is all you guys have going on.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:50 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

she seems much better guys! There was not a lot of sleep last night but I actually called a nurse hotline-type thing from our health insurance and they basically just said to monitor her but that it did sound like a cold or teething as well. The rosiness was gone by the time I got home last night. Still, I'm going to attempt to take her in to the pediatrician - even if I have to take her on the subway THRU Manhattan just to get to the other side of Brooklyn - next week because I'm still a little freaked and its time anyway. Deep breaths over here, and hoping I get to go home from work early today!

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]