| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Favorite toys for 2 year old?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:15 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Giles turns 2 next week! I have been sent several checks from family to use to buy him gifts and I am not really sure what to get...he is super, crazy active so sitting quietly type things aren't his style at all. I have purchased him a curvy board from us. I was considering a mini-trampoline maybe? Any suggestions of things your 2 year old loved?

Post subject: Re: Favorite toys for 2 year old?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:21 am 
Married to the wolfman

Does Giles have a bike already? Push bikes are good for that age though (as we found out with M) if he's short his feet might not reach the ground. A wagon is similarly nice, gives him something to drag around, push, put things into and take things out of.

Both my kids were really into trains and tracks at 2, and bigger Legos (Duplos or whatever). I wouldn't describe E as super active, but M is and he still digs the trains.

M also really likes anything he can drag around with him while he zips from place to place. He has a variety of little tote bags with zippers and stuff which he used to pack full of toys to haul around.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:29 am 
Saggy Butt

Those curvy boards are so cool! Sven's big 2-year-old gift was a play kitchen, but that doesn't sound like Giles' thing. He also inherited a massive amount of Brio trains from our own childhood right about then and it was a huge hit. Sven also loved this mini vacuum -- I never even put the batteries in. Or maybe a Rody Horse or C&S's suggestions of a balance bike? Sven also loves his little backpack. Or maybe you could put the money toward classes at a MyGym/Little Gym type place.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:38 am 
Nailed to the V

My kid's favourite was a trike.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:28 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Good ideas - I hadn't even considered a balance bike or trike!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:40 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

or scooter! my two year old lives on her scooter and will not touch the balance bike.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:07 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

sooo much of what Sierra is into is completely influenced by her big sister but Legos/Dupos have been a ridiculous hit here - we have gotten an unbelievable amount of just hours and hours playing out of a $30 set! and then just general imagination play stuff like a foldable wooden Melissa and Doug barn and castle with some figures/furniture is constantly played with. But for an excellent active thing how 'bout a good ol' Sit-n-Spin? I think they tend to show up around secondhand kids shops a lot, and prepare to be worried he'll fling himself right off it though, but I swear that has not happened to us yet!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:43 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Scarlett loves her scooter!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:07 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Cardboard boxes and things to put into and remove from the boxes. Small shopping bags. The smaller boy here is currently putting piles of picture books into a padded envelope and carrying it around.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:41 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

so you guys are saying the obsession with putting things into other things and taking them back out lasts a long time huh?

that's BP's favorite game and she's 14 months. that and putting things onto other things then taking them off and flinging said thing.

im looking into getting her a water table. i cant remember what age our friend's son was when he first got it (i kinda think 2-3) but he used his for years. im not sure he's even done using it each summer and i think he's 6 now. that might be fun for a 2 year old

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:13 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Water table
Tricycle (make sure his legs reach the pedals)
Balance bike if he's tall
Scooter
Rebounder (little trampoline)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:18 pm 
Saggy Butt

I forgot about the water table! We have one too and it's awesome. We also had a sand table for a while, which is a great gift for kids and a terrible gift for adults.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:32 pm 
Semen Strong

Does it have to be a toy? L loves experiences - so a day at the bouncy castle or something is a memorable gift.

Our friends have a small bouncy castle for their 2 active little boys and its surprisingly easy . She sets it up and they have a blast! http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.js ... age=family

mandycoot wrote:
I forgot about the water table! We have one too and it's awesome. We also had a sand table for a while, which is a great gift for kids and a terrible gift for adults.

QFT! We have a sand and water table and L loves it and I hate the sand portion so much.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:46 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

oh god a sand table sounds horrific. BP loves the sand at the beach. we have a public beach in our town and i took her by myself one day.

NOT. WORTH. THE. EFFORT. SO. MUCH. SAND.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:14 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

haha yes putting things into any kind of vessel and carrying it around lasts forever. At 5 D is sorta over it, but not always!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:02 am 
Nooch of Earl

We got V this for her second birthday. She loooooooooved the one at My Gym.

http://www.amazon.com/Step-Up-Down-Roll ... 00005KBVD/

It's one of those things she'll go crazy for for an afternoon, then totally forget about, so I put it away for a couple weeks and then it's a hit again.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:57 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Annak - there is one at the kids gym we go to and he does love it - but we have no room for it inside unfortunately and no paved area outside for it to go.

I think we are going to get a mini-trampoline and a water table. Such awesome ideas guys thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:14 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

My son isn't quite 2, but he loves puzzles. I got him the Melissa and Doug numbers and letters. (Though he has difficulty with the letters, he still likes to play with they)

He also LOVES to climb. I might get him this birthday.

http://www.amazon.com/Step2-All-Star-Sp ... sports+gym

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:36 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I'll second or third or fourth the balance bike or tricycle. Just make sure that you get a very low balance bike, or that the child is very tall. Our son loves his balance bike, but his grandparents got it for him when he was barely 18 months. Unfortunately, because it's not as small as other balance bikes and unlike a tricycle needs him to put his feet down on the ground to balance, it means that one of us has to push him on it all the time and that gets pretty backbreaking after a short while.

Some of my 2 year old son's other favorite toys:
The tractor/trailer from greentoys - http://www.greentoys.com/green-toys-tractor.html
The entire lineup of toy tools from black and decker (they sell them at target and I'm sure at other places) - http://www.target.com/s?searchTerm=blac ... decker+toy (the drill doesn't show up in the link, but that's the tool he's actually got)
The garden hose/watering can and toy/full-sized shovels/rakes/etc

If you opt for the Melissa and Doug stuff (which is fantastic) - if you have a ROSS store nearby, check that out first - they almost always have one or two of them for a few bucks instead of the $20+ they go for at target/walmart etc.

Good luck!

Ugh I saw all these cave paintings complaining about vegan cheese options. I don't miss those days. -Isa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:36 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i ordered this water table for Charlotte

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004INDQWY/ref=pe_385040_30332190_TE_dp_1

we get it tomorrow. i figured it was a good deal for $40 cause not only can you splash in it but it has a few other features.

originally i looked on craigslist to find a cheap used one but they werent much cheaper for the few i say plus you have to deal with crazy which seems to be what craigslist is (ie crazy people)

i think she will like it. ive learned she doesnt really like her swim lessons but she loves to sit in shallow water and splash so hopefully standing and splashing will be fun too.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:59 pm 
Semen Strong

Apparently my husband missed my long rants about how much I hate sandboxes and we now have a sandbox! Its super cute - a tugboat with a cover so the ferals don't use it as a litter box.

Our yard now has a Wendy house, a kiddy pool, 10 ride on toys, a tool bench and workshop, a water table, a kiddy picnic table and a boat shaped sandbox, plus a billion dinosaurs, dolls, buckets and shovels. I swear he is doing it just to cut down on mowing surface. Oy.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:42 am 
Nooch of Earl

Ha, LP, I always feel the same way about buying stuff used. It's like, people have this INSANELY inflated idea of how much their used stuff is worth, or maybe I just have a crazy idea of how much stuff depreciates? But I always feel like it's basically crazy to pay more than 50% of the original retail cost for something that's used, especially used for a few years. There's a local resale list where we are and I am just always floored by what people want for their used !#$@.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:11 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I feel the same way about used stuff - someone was selling an Ergo infant insert for $35...they are $38 NEW if you buy on-line and if you don't need the organic one they are $25!!! I thought it was a typo, but NO it was not! She said it was "barely used" so I guess she figured she had only gotten $3 use out of it?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:54 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

yeah the water table i bought was $40 and had features i liked and it's brand new.
the used ones on craigslist were beat to shiitake, were basically just a table for splashing and were $25-$30.
for $10 i would deal with the crazy but not to save $10

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:12 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I just went and bought that same water table LP! I hope he likes it - I think he will. He spent 45 minutes playing in the kitchen sink this morning.