| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Kids, Religion, & Christmas
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:14 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

littlebear, I have a friend who is not religious (I don't know if she believes in any god or not though) who had her son baptized "just in case" because she wouldn't want him to not get into heaven just because he wasn't baptized/in case it exists I guess. So, coming from a catholic background (original sin, infant baptism), maybe your mom has similar reasoning?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:12 pm 
Grandfathered In

Kiddo wrote:
littlebear, I have a friend who is not religious (I don't know if she believes in any god or not though) who had her son baptized "just in case" because she wouldn't want him to not get into heaven just because he wasn't baptized/in case it exists I guess. So, coming from a catholic background (original sin, infant baptism), maybe your mom has similar reasoning?

Yeah, this is known as Pascal's Wager. Funny how people never say, "We're following Zoroastrian practices, just to be sure."

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:04 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I refused to throw some sham water on my child and I don't speak to the person that thinks she will go to hell because of it. I am not a confrontational person but this was just something I did not want to let get worse. Of course, I am willing to go it mostly alone. I made my family. Religion doesn't bother me as an idea but in practice it is always just a way to push people around. Thankfully the person who thinks my child will be going to hell is not a big part of my life. I think if this were my parents I would act the same way. All dogma is bad to me. My husband was baptised which always gives me a laugh.

My daughter does like her Jesus (from the movie Dogma) figurine though. I think religion is good for tourism. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:38 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

FootFace wrote:
Kiddo wrote:

Yeah, this is known as Pascal's Wager. Funny how people never say, "We're following Zoroastrian practices, just to be sure."

If I recall correctly, Zoroastrianism does not accept converts; you have to be born into the religion.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:31 am 
Grandfathered In

Vantine wrote:
FootFace wrote:
Kiddo wrote:

If I recall correctly, Zoroastrianism does not accept converts; you have to be born into the religion.

Yeah, that must be why people don't do that with Zotoastrianism. Mystery solved!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:34 am 
Naked Under Apron

I'd guess that people born into Zoroastrianism who don't really believe in it anymore might follow the rituals "just in case."

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:50 am 
Seagull of the PPK

This is a really good thread. I am always interested to see how other people survive this stuff.

We've had so much religious drama in our family pre-kids that we've stayed away from organized religion for the most part with the kid involved. We do talk about religious stuff-- Sprog can understand and explain religious references from the major religions, and knows that I respect most of them, but she has no obligation to do anything. We usually go to some kind of churchy "christmas show" or festival of lights, or something, but it's more of a cultural observance than a religious one.

Since we have evangelical types (Christians and Pureland buddhists) in the family who would be happy to indoctrinate, we've made it really clear that nobody shall talk beliefs to the kid, otherwise future visits will be jeopardized. Clear as glass. So far everyone's been pretty respectful, except for one aunt who insists that if i would just make my daughter chant with her her teenage snottiness would disappear (didn't seem to work for her own children who chant with her, but whatever....)

I always assumed my mother was upset i didn't baptize Sprog, since the church is such a big part of her life. Then i was there this summer and my mother gave me big props for not baptizing (we believe kids should wait til they know what they want instead of getting indoctrinated- i do see a difference between indoctrination and education- and quakers don't necessarily baptize anyway.) and told me she was leaving her church [she was on their board of directors] and interested in checking out quaker meetings with me. Amazing.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:35 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

Well, there is this joke.

"What do you call an atheist with kids?"

A Unitarian Universalist.

It could be a place where you could shut up a parent about baptism, because they have sort-of-baptisms, while not being actually related to god in any way (unless you want it to be). The religious education is also good because they teach kids about all the religions and their holidays so if your kid does want to choose to follow some other path, they are already knowledgeable.

But of course you have to be comfortable with organized religion at all to go this route. Some people, while appreciating the oft secular topics and liberal congregation still get squicked out by waking up in Sunday morning and hearing an organ and singing hymns.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:12 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

hahaha. we go to UU church! well, we did before we had kids. Now it doesn't work at all with our schedule, but we will one day go again.

I like the ritual of church and the community that comes with it but am not religious. which is why I get along so swiming ly with the UUs.

when henry asks about what christmas is about, we tell him the christmas story and tell him lots of folks like jesus so it is a birthday party for jesus that we celebrate because he seemed like a nice guy who did nice things and we were culturally raised to celebrate it.