| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: iron for infants
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:15 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i got the results in the mail of BP's iron/lead bloodwork and my doctor typed a note "looks good but i would recommend a little iron for 3 months"

ok......

sooo.........

yeah.....

do they make baby iron supplements?
she does not eat any solid food like at all. i can try to cram some lentils in her but i doubt i could get enough into her to make a difference. i take an iron supplement myself 2x a week and eat a good amount of iron rich food and use a cast iron skillet to cook but aparently she's not getting enough from breastmilk.

maybe my dr called in some sort of rx for her and didnt tell me like she did for my vit D.

a simple note of "im calling something into the pharmacy" sure would be a help :-P

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

Post subject: Re: iron for infants
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:27 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

There are drops meant for exactly this. It's really common for babies this age to need extra iron since they've used up their stores and aren't fully eating yet. It has pretty much nothing to do with your diet or her diet.

ETA This is why cereal is so often recommended as a first food because baby cereals are iron fortified.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:21 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

cool. i bet they called in an Rx and didnt bother to tell me (i am psychic after all). they did this to me before as i mentioned.
i have to go see them again next week anyways cause she's due for another RSV shot so maybe they will tell me then.

we wanted to do delayed cord clamping as i think that helps with this issue but that pretty much didnt happen unfortunately.

her level is just a teeny bit under the range so that's good. (good that it's not lower that is)

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:42 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

I don't have any personal experience with iron drops, but my impression is that it's something you can just pick up in the supplement or baby section of the drug store.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:19 am 
***LIES!!!***

It's usually prescription, but there are a couple brands OTC. You might have to ask the pharmacist for it, though. I don't think I've ever seen it on a shelf.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:35 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

LP, Clara takes iron drops--it's recommended for all babies from 6 months to 2 years here. She likes the taste, they don't upset her tummy and they are not very expensive. They do have to be stored in the fridge and if you spill, they stain like crazy.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:12 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Oh yeah, and you can also just buy floravital at WF or any health food store. It kind of tastes like prune juice.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:18 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Funny, I just threw this out of my kid's top drawer the other day: EnfamilĀ® Poly-Vi-SolĀ® with Iron Multivitamin Supplement. That's what I gave him for iron at the in-between stage when he was still breast feeding before starting solids. I'm sure it tasted gross but at that age you just drop it in the mouth and there isn't much they can do about it lol! We obviously didn't use it that much since I just finally threw out what was left, but at the time it got us through enough. You can buy it pretty much anywhere, like CVS or Target.

Once he started solids we did Earth's Best oatmeal baby cereal which is fortified with iron, and mixed in Rainbowlight NutriStart Multivitamin Powder.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:12 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Sven takes Floravital (but he's 2, so that may not work for you). There's one with honey and without honey. It tastes ok, Sven takes 5 mL in a smoothie and doesn't mind.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:36 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

No one has ever brought up iron supplementation or testing for Scarlett! Now I need to look into this. She did have very delayed cord clamping but that only affects hematocrit for the baby's first 6-12 months, so hopefully she hasn't been low since then! I wonder why testing was never offered to us.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:05 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Mooo, the testing suggestions vary by state. Some do it on all kids routinely at various times, others do it only for kids at risk of lead exposure (lead issues go hand in hand with anemia), and then there are some in between. The way they do the testing also varies by state (heel or finger prick versus venipuncture).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:03 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

mooo i think it has more to do with the lead here. it's state mandated as far as i know that they do this around 9 months and it's because there are tons of old houses in New England and kids chew on window sills and get lead poisoning. lead poisoning also makes you anemic.

for BP they took the blood out of her arms and i dont know if her blood flow is slow or they just needed a lot of blood or what but i swear they had that needle in her arm FOREVER :-(

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:07 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

For the first year of her life we lived in a 100 year old building in Connecticut, and no one suggested it! Gah.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:57 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

Yes, we lived in Lead Central (Providence) and that lead venous stick is a bisque.

My daughter took them to supplement her tube feedings, and I can tell you that not only do the drops stain, but baby's poop will also stain. If you're using cloth diapers, just be prepared.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:29 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

random question. i know you say the poop will stain but does it affect like the smell and grossness of hte poop?

i thought she was having gross stank poops because she is eating a bit of solid foods but my husband thinks the amount of food we get into her is so trivial that it's the iron that's making her poops disgusting.

im not worried about it just curious. either way PEEE-YEWWWWW

also i did accidently stain one of her onesies with the iron drops and of course it was my favorite onesie that i absolutely loved.
booo

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]