| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 231 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: the poop scoop: toileting victories and set backs
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:26 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I wet the bed until I was 7 or 8. The only thing that helped was a parent waking up in the middle of the night and making me get up to go to the bathroom. Some kids just sleep too heavily to rouse themselves for the urge to pee.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:39 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

For using public toilets I highly recommend this the Potette Plus http://www.target.com/p/kalencom-2-in-1 ... 4AodNzYAvA

We used it for Reno. It can sit on a regular toilet and can be used as a regular potty. The bags you use when you use it as a regular potty are biodegradable. I freaking loved this thing! It came in a bag so after you use it you can just put it in a bag and it fits nicely in whatever bag you are carrying. This was really handy with her when we were on the beach and at parks without bathrooms.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:42 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Also.

I like the idea of having them wear underwear even if it doesn't absorb and you still have to change them and their clothes. Its gets them use to the idea that they still wear something under their clothes. Leela is very strong willed and hates diapers. If you go commando with her and underwear I feel like she will never wear underwear since she didn't have to before. Does that make sense? :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:22 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Ariann wrote:
I wet the bed until I was 7 or 8. The only thing that helped was a parent waking up in the middle of the night and making me get up to go to the bathroom. Some kids just sleep too heavily to rouse themselves for the urge to pee.

yeah you know sometimes I think its genetic because I definitely remember wetting the bed! We actually do take her to the bathroom before we go to bed but we go to bed too early (like midnight; all the wetting seems to occur between 2-4 am). I know it will work out, I just think it's so crazy she's been potty-trained for 2 years now!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:18 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Carlos pooped in the toilet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:03 am 
Semen Strong

So, L is really good about using the potty at home to pee in. But she doesn't seem comfortable pooping in it - sometimes she will run over to the potty sit on it for a while and then get up and make her poop on the floor. I know a ppker mentioned that pooping is just easier when squatting and I was wondering whether that could be the issue or if there is a way to make this easier for her.

Also, she really isn't able to pull her pants up and down, and I know that GP had mentioned that that was an essential milestone to pottylearning, so maybe all of this is nice but really still premature.

And finally, for a while she was great about not peeing in her diaper in public, and she'd ask to use to potty, but she has no interest in that any longer and just pees in her diaper if we're out and about.

Its just interesting that her abilities really seem to be shifting - she has been interested in the potty since about 13 months, so I guess I was hoping it would just kind of be a linear progression and then just be done, but it seems to be meandering forward and back.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:09 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Hahaha ... We have the opposite. Poops in potty but pees in diaper. I think we could force the issue with diaper free boot camp but I am personally okay taking it slow for now.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:06 am 
Inflexitarian

When guineapiglet first sat on the potty and peed without so much as me every trying to potty train her I thought that this whole potty training business was going to be a snap. Ha! But as it turns out it's a journey full of twist and turns. There is a potty in every bathroom and for awhile going potty before bed was part of our bedtime routine but then I dropped it because she was using the potty as a tool to get what she wanted. For example, if she didn't want to take a bath she would say she had to potty to get out of it, or if she doesn't want to get in her car seat she'll say she has to potty when she doesn't. She basically learned that if she says she has to go potty we'll drop everything and do whatever she wants. So in response we stopped all potty learning. Well, now she's hit the milestone of being able to pull her pants up and down on her own and she proactively goes and sits on the potty without saying anything to us. She seems to do fine when she goes completely on her own but if we're in the room with her she'll wander off eventually and go pee in another room. So we're still figuring this thing out over here.

I've talked to a lot of parents at her school who tried to start potty training before 2 and their experiences all sound similar to yours Tofulish, lots of progress then lots of regression. So don't get too discouraged. I think for a lot of kids under 2 (especially those without older siblings) going potty can seem like an adventure at first but then the shine wears off. And I think poop tends to be one of those interesting things. I know a lot of kids (including myself as a youngster) who would ask for a diaper when they had to poop or poop in the same specific spot. Who knows the reason why. But hey, we all eventually learn how to do it so I don't stress it too much. If anything, this has been a fun ride in discovering more nuances in guineapiglets personality.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:08 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Walter turns 3 next weekend and IT IS TIME, DAMMIT. I've waited and waited for him to want to get out of diapers, but really, he is content to be the baby and let me do all the work. He's mature in a lot of ways, but not with respect self-care.

We're thinking of applying to a different preschool for next year, and just yesterday I found out that he has to be potty trained by the end of January, so he can do his morning long "student visit" in underwear. I'm freaking out because I assumed we'd have until late summer to get this done. I don't know if I can make it happen by January, but new school or not, I'm done changing diapers.

Today he was in underwear and no pants, peed on the toilet zero times, and in his underwear once. He's napping now in a pull up. I just read this whole thread and see a lot of people did naked bottoms for several days. It's just so cold here right now, and the thought of paying to heat my house to 70 so he can run around nekkid makes me cringe!

I don't love the idea of bribes, but I have to create some external motivation. We've got a sticker chart and when it's filled he gets a new train for his tracks. I've also been letting him watch PBS on the ipad while he sits, because otherwise he screams and refuses to even try. I feel pretty shitty about bribing with screen time, because he's watched very little television until now, and never ever in the morning. I just hope that a few months from now I'll feel the ends justified the means.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:25 pm 
Semen Strong

Thanks for the feedback GP!

Mitten, a few of our friends have had success using the three day potty learning method (http://www.babycenter.com/0_potty-train ... .bc?page=2) I don't know if that might be a useful starting point for you! We are thinking of doing it, probably right after Thanksgiving, because our weeks are so busy up to then. We have a potty in every room, we talk about pottying a lot, she goes regularly before bed and on waking up, etc. But now she doesn't even bother telling us if she has to go when we are outside - where she used to in the past. So I think I need to step up asking her and having a potty with us at all times (I am just really lazy about peeing outside). And the poo thing is still an issue - we notice her having to poo, we ask if she wants to poo, and then she will sit on the potty for a bit, and if she is in midpoo when we ask, she'll finish her poo in the potty. But if not, then its like sitting on the potty stops the poopflow, and then she gets off and poops on the floor. I don't even really mind cleaning up poop off the floor (so much better than deschmearing her butt), but really, we've been exploring potties for about 9 months now, so I'd love to do a final push and just get it done.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:44 pm 
Inflexitarian

mittenmacher don't get too stressed out about the morning visit. All he has to do is get through one morning in his underwear, and if he has an accident, then that's no biggie. Accidents happen, even to 5 year olds so I'm sure they wouldn't hold it against you if he did have an accident during the student visit. A couple of my friends didn't even start potty training their kids until they were 3 (no potty's in the house, nothing). But at that age they pick it up super fast, even if they do love just hanging out in diapers. Don't get discouraged. He'll be potty trained before you know it! We're doing a new school visit tomorrow and I'm glad I saw this post, I'll have to ask them about their potty training policy because our current school doesn't impose one.

I'm with you Tofulish. We're going to start more actual potty training after Christmas since we'll be traveling cross country over the holidays. But I really have zero interest in carrying a potty around with me everywhere, but alas, I guess it must be done. I read Stress Free Potty training and liked the book. It divides up training by the personality type of your child. For me, it was super helpful because although Guineapiglet is very goal-oriented she's also really "impulsive" as the book labels it. And we've learned through this process which parts of her personality come out when we're potty training. It's been an adventure for sure. Ahhh...6 more weeks until I have to start carrying a potty around with me. The countdown begins.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:57 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Mitten, I would check out that book littlebear recommended a while back (Oh crepe Potty Training). It's basically what we used and is similar to the 3 day idea without imposing time expectations or limits on yourself. Our progress with potty training has seemed very slow, but V was also <2 years when we started and we haven't used diapers for a long time. She has accidents, but they're becoming gradually less frequent.. She's been reaaaaally slow at moving towards self-initiation but with prompting, it's been fine, and she did fine at preschool last week.

Some kids get it right away and others take a little more time, so you might want to get a good serious head start asap. Unfortunately watching the huge range of experiences my friends are having regardless of attitude or method, I think potty training is like reading or riding a bike or any other skill, where some kids seem to just teach themselves and other kids need a lot of effort and encouragement.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:27 am 
Level 7 Vegan

I saw a lot of progress yesterday, just in one day. In the morning he had only accidents, and wasn't telling me that he'd peed on the floor. After his nap, he had an equal number of accidents and successes, and when he peed in his underwear he told me immediately, which is huge. And he pooped in the little potty twice! For now I'm letting him watch this Sesame Street alphabet video he likes while he sits; there are worse things.

We're going to stick with underwear in the house, but he's going to wear a pull-up to school this morning. I'm hoping he can wear undies to school by Friday. We're doing this!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:08 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

So we aren't even remotely close to potty-training, but this seems the best thread for this. Over the last month, Z has started bringing me fresh diapers when he has a wet one, and now is also bringing me wipes if he's pooped and I haven't noticed yet. So adorable!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:17 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I hope I'm not jinxing myself, but things are going really well for us! Only two accidents yesterday and none so far today. We went out and ran errands yesterday and today, which I was really nervous about, but he peed on the big toilet at music class and at the doctor's office!

He is really proud of himself and tells anyone who will listen that he has trains on his underwear. Today we were walking to the bathroom at the library and he said (loudly) "my penis will point at the water and then pee will come out!"

I'm still using a diaper at naptime and overnight because I can't handle interrupted sleep at this point. Also, I am doing all the initiating/reminding him to sit on the potty. It's only day 4, but I imagine with time he'll start asking to go?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:25 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

The smaller one has learned a new trick.

In the morning, we get up, eat, bathe, and get dressed for work (and daycare/school). He has started waiting until he's fully dressed and wearing a fresh new diaper, and THEN pooping out the hugest poop in the world right as we're trying to leave. He's done this a couple of times in the past week now. Today, in fact, he seemed kind of shifty after the shower, so I plopped him on the potty seat for like ten minutes. He stared at me as I fussed in the bathroom and then, when I decided he wasn't gonna do anything and got him dressed, proceeded to quite cheerfully fill the diaper. It was delightful.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:37 pm 
Inflexitarian

Woooo Whooo Mittenmacher! That is fantastic news! That student visit doesn't seem so bad anymore right? It's only day 4 so I'm sure him initiating it will come.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:35 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

solipsistnation wrote:

In the morning, we get up, eat, bathe, and get dressed for work (and daycare/school). He has started waiting until he's fully dressed and wearing a fresh new diaper, and THEN pooping out the hugest poop in the world right as we're trying to leave. He's done this a couple of times in the past week now. Today, in fact, he seemed kind of shifty after the shower, so I plopped him on the potty seat for like ten minutes. He stared at me as I fussed in the bathroom and then, when I decided he wasn't gonna do anything and got him dressed, proceeded to quite cheerfully fill the diaper. It was delightful.

It's...like he's a Magician or something!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:26 am 
Inflexitarian

solipsistnation wrote:

Well, on the brightside at least we know he knows how to hold his poop!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:14 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I have two days off and we've decided to attempt a potty training intensive! Scarlett's only 17 months so I had thought it was way too early until I met someone who said her three kids all learned easily around 18 months so I thought it couldn't hurt to try. She has been telling us when she has to go for a while and we sometimes get her diaper off fast enough to sit her on her potty, and sometimes not. So we're going to stay home for a few days with her pantsless and do a victory dance every time she makes it to her potty. I figure if it works, great, if not, oh well. Is it weird that it makes me pretty sad to think of her not wearing diapers, like she's not a baby anymore? We're not sure if we want another kid or not so all these milestones are bittersweet.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:20 pm 
Semen Strong

My stepmother was telling me that in the 70s everyone potty trained their kids by 18 months, and that it was easier because your child isn't as positional then. I have no idea if its true, but L definitely showed an interest in the potty early, and I kind of wish we'd just gone the distance with potty learning then, instead of waiting and hoping she'd just do it on her own. My stepsister's daughter pottytrained at 18 months, so its definitely possible!

And I hear you on the bittersweet milestones!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:49 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I would keep in mind that all kids are pretty different. I downloaded and followed the book that littlebear suggested ("Oh crepe! Potty Training"), and while I still think it's a good book, and I don't mean to scare you here, it's been almost 6 months now and only recently would I describe V as basically potty trained. The self initiation just took her a LONG time, and we still don't get a lot of warning or total initiation. The people I know who start at like 2.5-ish seem to have better luck (we started at 23 months) and honestly, as much as people say that they're capable of it younger than that, it's felt like a reaaaaaly long slog for us.

I've heard that being able to pull their own pants down reliably and quickly is a really important milestone - V could squirm out of pants and a diaper beforehand, but it's only been recently that she would push her pants down and sit on the potty (and most of hte time she still asks for help). We went through a LOT of months of just having to prompt her frequently. And honestly I'd find at least a week where you don't have much going on. I know that sounds crazy, but.. a long weekend at worst?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:06 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I felt like a lazy bum for waiting until Walter was 3, but our experience has been so easy, I feel totally validated. It took a week to get to no accidents, with me doing most of the initiating, and about two-three weeks to get to 100% accident-free, with him doing almost all the initiating. It's amazing--a month ago he was in diapers, and now he notices when he has to pee, takes himself over to his little potty, pulls down his pants and goes, without even telling me. He still needs help pulling up his underwear, but he'll get it soon. And he has no qualms about public toilets. It's been, like, so easy. I felt like a jerk for having the last kid on the block in diapers, but now I feel like a genius.

We're still doing a pull-up for naps and overnight, because he is definitely not dry inhis sleep, but I couldn't be happier with his progress. Just my 2 cents, but waiting until later worked for us!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:48 pm 
Chip Strong

I'm glad to hear that mitten! Ada is completely uninterested and I haven't even bothered trying yet. A few people have told me that they waited until their kids were three and it was a pretty quick transition so that's what we'll probably do.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:11 pm 
Inflexitarian

I've heard a lot from both the early potty training and the "late" potty training camps. Ultimately, I've decided not to push it. The people i know who started later seem to have a quicker turnaround in learning overall. I have friends who go "old school" as they call it and potty trained there kids by their first birthday (I have 3 friends who have done this) and I totally thought it was possible to really have a potty trained 12 month old when Guineapiglet sat on the potty for the first time and without me saying a word just peed on her own but those experiences were short lived and I soon realized that potty training a kid under 2 (and I'm completely generalizing, every kids personality is different) is like training cats. You think you're training the cat but in the end the cat is really training you. When I talked to all my friends who potty trained really young they were still initiating 90% of potty discussions, having to take their kids to the potty (the kids didn't go independently) and they had to pull up and down their pants for them. It just seemed like the parents were trained more than the kids were really. And like I've mentioned in previous post every one of them had a period of regression. When Guineapiglet showed such an early interest in potty training I was thrilled but as time has gone and I've had a chance to really talk it over with lots of moms I feel like the right choice for us is to not push it too hard until she's closer to 2 1/2. In January we'll likely start a switch over to Super Undies training pants because they are really really absorbent. I think that will be a good happy medium since she can't possibly undo the snaps on her Bum Genius' and it really holds things up when she's trying to rush and pull down her pants and get on the potty. Several times I've walked in to find her with her pants off and on the potty with her diaper on because she can't pull it off. Or her diaper half off. So I think that's the next step for us.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 231 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next