| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 231 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: the poop scoop: toileting victories and set backs
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:42 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Dunno, we haven't tried that since last summer and he just peed all over then. But the good news is I gave him the choice to wear undies or go back in diapers yesterday and he chose undies. So I explained it was really important if he wore them that he went in the potty, not his undies. It seemed to get through to him and he hasn't peed in them again since.

Today he hasn't gone #2 all day though (and he almost always goes at least 1x per day). So I know it is gonna be a mess any second now....its like a ticking time bomb.

Potty training suuuuucks!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:59 pm 

Boom! There goes the bomb. Not 5 minutes after I enticed him to sit on the potty for a long time with my iPhone, hoping it would come out, he goes #2 in his undies.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:40 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

This was R's first day without diapers. He liked peeing in the potty, but in between he peed quite a lot in his undies. Having wet underwear doesn't seem to bother him at all. It's a good thing we have a lot of trousers and underpants for him! He didn't poop all day. We have decided to continue using diapers at night and when we go away.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:08 pm 

So much laundry... There is definite progress though, it's just slow.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:19 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

amonik, how old is R? We're thinking about giving it a try pretty soon here (20 months) but won't push if it's not the right time yet.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:06 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Malka insisted on wearing underwear today. So I put her in a cloth diaper without a liner and told her these are practice underwear and if she keeps dry today she can wear underwear tomorrow. We shall see.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:51 am 

ScandinaVegan wrote:
amonik, how old is R? We're thinking about giving it a try pretty soon here (20 months) but won't push if it's not the right time yet.

He's three years and two months. We decided to try now because it's summer (less clothes) and he will be home from daycare for ten weeks, not because he showed any particular signs of being ready.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:06 am 

Yesterday was the first dry day! We're far from done of course, he still has to be told to go, we have to entertain him while on the potty, etc. Still feels amazing!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:39 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I thought we were totally done with this, but lately Scarlett has been freaking out about public toilets and when we're outside at a park she only wants to pee outside. Do other toddlers do this? Is it totally gross or acceptable occasionally? My concern is that now that she thinks she can just pop a squat in the grass, she's becoming even more averse to using toilets. Plus it's not going to work in the winter, or when she starts preschool next month.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:31 pm 

We are having a similar issue over here, Mooo. Babynut is not adverse to public toilets, but she will pop a squat anywhere and I find it uncomfortable, since where we live I am mostly talking about busy sidewalks! In a way it is nice that she is willing to do it out in the open because toilets are few and far between and we are often out walking for hours at a time. I figure that soon enough she will be embarrassed by it so in the mean time, I started bringing a portable potty with me. If we are caught without a potty, I would much rather her pee on the ground than wet herself; I just don't want that to be the normal routine.

fwiw, she doesn't have a problem at preschool with this. She loves the little toilets that they have there. Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, she did pop a squat once during naptime. The teacher told us that it was weird that she had obviously peed on her mat, but her pantaloons were dry. That little stinker! That's why I started with the portable potties because I didn't want her to just go wherever. She didn't do it again after we talked about it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:36 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Potty training, day 1.

Successful pees in potty - half a dozen or so. Two poops in potty. A handful of pees-all-over-the-floor while visiting the neighbor, combined with refusal to pee on their potty. 1 successful pee on public toilet, 1 attempted poop on public toilet. We had her bare-bottomed, but now she's in undies because that reward made her much more compliant.

She is now avoiding a nap by getting up to pee over and over again.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:09 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Had a fight over getting her to stay on the potty at the end of a poop because she was so not done, but wanted to be done. That poop started on the bathroom floor. Then three minutes later - poop trail across the carpet back to the potty.

And wiping just didn't agree with her today. Major meltdown at bedtime about her butt hurting (from post-poop wiping, we just pat dry pees). Slathered her with butt paste and will switch to disposable wipes for tomorrow I think.

Except for the neighbor fiasco and a tiny pee in undies while helping me cook, all the pees landed in the potty today!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:20 pm 

Ariann, we watch this video that was made for older kids with special needs that really explains wiping and everything explicitly. Maybe Malka would like it too? It's called Tom's Toilet Triumph. It is on YouTube, but it is an edited version so there are some continuation issues. Babynut and I talk about it all the time when wiping and waiting to poop. (it's very weird but helpful)

Sounds like a good first day of potty training!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:24 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Thanks, Butternut! That looks helpful.

hehe weehole

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:10 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Day 2

Poop entirely in the toilet!
Only two pee accidents (one at home, one out).
Only half a dozen complete meltdowns over being forced to sit on the toilet at regular intervals.
Pee free nap!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:30 am 
Nooch of Earl

Yay Ariann! Good luck. Be prepared for it to take a long time, it has been SUCH a two steps forward, one step back journey for us.

We're kind of stalled at a point where V is mostly OK, but not what I would call potty independent. She'll cheerfully waddle off without pulling her pants up, doesn't really have much interest in wiping herself.. Sometimes I can get her to pull her pants down but mostly she'll either pull the pants down or hold the dress up but not both. I'm hoping being in an environment (school) where she can't just scream for me to do it will help. We'll see.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:58 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Scarlett was doing so well for so long, and then today shat her pants on an airplane and I had to clean her up in the lavatory. Then I discovered I forgot to bring extra pants (haven't needed any in so long!), so I had to tie her sweatshirt around her waist to make it sort of seem like she wasn't pantsless. It was all just so disgusting and frustrating.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:42 pm 
***LIES!!!***

ugh, mooo.

Day 3 around here:
Bad. She woke up kvetchy, not feeling well, was with an adult all day who kept asking her if she wanted to pee (what's the answer to that? No. The answer is always NO.) rather than just putting her on the potty at regular intervals and making her try. So, many pee accidents. She also tried to finagle her way out of a peeing-on-lawn situation - "But dogs pee on the grass!" Yes, but dogs are not wearing pants while they are peeing on the grass. At least pull the pants down and squat! She wound up back in diapers this evening, then pooped in the diaper rather than sit on the toilet. Also, the nanny informed her that her underwear was "boys' underwear." Thanks a lot, gender police. Le sigh.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:04 pm 
Semen Strong

Ugh Ariann, how frustrating! L has been good for a while, but a lot of it is that I put her on the potty every 2 hours whether she thinks she needs to go or not. I learned that the hard way, when she assured me that she didn't need to go, and then proceeded to pee all over the floor at Trader Joe's.

I don't even know if that counts as being fully potty-learned, because she isn't independently toileting. But hey, I figure its better than schlepping diaps everywhere.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:54 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Yes, it's definitely better. As long as there's a bathroom nearby, I am totally not minding keeping track of putting her on the toilet. It's a little bit of a struggle to get her to go along with it sometimes, but while changing tonight's poop diaper I was reminded that I really don't want to be doing this anymore!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:24 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

We started Miles (3 years, 3 months) with potty learning the second week of August and its great. After 3 days of being a nagging asparagus to him about if he has to use the potty he just started doing it on his own (pee's only) and hasn't had a pee accident since...unless he poops. 2 weeks ago he announced that he had to poop and wanted to sit on the regular toilet without a seat and pooped and was so proud and now he refuses to do it again. There was no drama about it or anything he just refuses. I know pooping can take longer but I really want to be done with diapers. He doesn't need to be potty trained for his preschool, thank goodness, but I still don't want him taking a massive shiitake in his pull ups in school while I'm not there. He's regressed a little with pee's in that sometimes he'll go on his own but most of the time now I need to look for his signs that he has to go and put him on the potty and it isn't always a pleasant experience. I'm exhausted!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:13 am 

We gave it up for now. There was still so little progress after eight weeks, I just don't think he's ready.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:53 pm 

We are struggling with overnight potty training. Daytime is fine. She is independent without reminders. She sucks at wiping but she has to do it by herself at school so it is getting better. My problem is that she doesn't want to wear a diaper at night anymore. We have had a huge battle about it every night since a trip about two weeks ago when she stayed with two kids who did not wear diapers at all. I guess now she thinks it is too much of a baby thing? Only thing is, she still wets the diaper every night so I'm not keen on ditching it yet. I know I should jump on the opportunity for her to be so motivated, but I'm really busy right now with work and I don't want to add getting up to fight about the potty in the middle of the night. Grump. Grump. Grump.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:12 pm 
Semen Strong

Funny how kids can motivate one another! I hope you can figure out a compromise! We put L on the potty just before bed and luckily that is enough to have her not need to go most nights. And even if she does, she wakes up and goes on the potty.

Leela was so good at Disney, in part because her cousins were there. She even demanded to go to the bathroom by herself, and would climb up on a full sized toilet, without any kiddy seat or stairs or anything, pee, wipe and flush and then be done. It was amazing. And she had zero accidents, which was amazing (because it had been my biggest fear). But now we're home and she has pooped on the floor again, which is just so frustrating.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:51 am 
***LIES!!!***

No accidents yesterday! Self initiated poops! A miracle!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 231 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next