| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 225 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: the poop scoop: toileting victories and set backs
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:53 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

It being the vegan diet sorta makes sense since well, I think a lot of us are more "regular" than omni folk but I could be wrong. But Dahlia was never like this (ha I feel like I say that a lot, but hey what else do I have to compare?) and I'm just amazed at the volume haha.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:08 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Go Malka! My kids just like to dump potty pee on the floor or put their toys in it. ;p

As far as poo-smell goes, Beet & Raygold had nice-smelling breastfed poo, but Vax's poop and gas STINKS! He only poops once or twice a week, so maybe that's why. B&R pooped every day, several times a day when they were breastfed. They still poop at least once a day (and it stinks).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:18 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Yeah, I am super psyched about this, but am still going to play it cool for the meanwhile. Could've been a fluke/don't actually want to spend any energy potty training unless it becomes necessary.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:20 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Oh yeah, and Malka's poops smell HORRIBLE and are rarely well-formed. I'd think veganism would lead to nice rolly bunny poops, but no, it is toxic sludge. She poops 1-2 times a day.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:43 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

We have a ton of poop over here. She poops at least three times a day, often more times. It smells bad, don't get me wrong, but it does have this strange sweet smell to it. Like sickeningly toxic sweetness. Yuck!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:14 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Butternut wrote:
We have a ton of poop over here. She poops at least three times a day, often more times. It smells bad, don't get me wrong, but it does have this strange sweet smell to it. Like sickeningly toxic sweetness. Yuck!

Eww, yes. We've got that weird smell too. Z poops usually twice a day. Sometimes we get a nice rolled turdlet, but more often it's a sticky mess. He still breastfeeds a ton though, so it's not unexpected.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:29 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

bodhi wrote:
Butternut wrote:

Eww, yes. We've got that weird smell too. Z poops usually twice a day. Sometimes we get a nice rolled turdlet, but more often it's a sticky mess. He still breastfeeds a ton though, so it's not unexpected.

That's what we have too! I still think it's gross, but not nearly as gross as the omni toddlers whose diapers I've changed. What's weird is I can totally smell a difference when Sven has been munching on some other kid's Goldfish at a playdate or something. Sven's poops are normally pretty well formed, but we've been weaned for quite a while. He had terrible transitional poops for a long time, though.

My MIL was changing his diaper during a visit and was amazed at the (comparative) lack of smell...she asked us if our poops didn't smell either! I was like, yeah, I think you grow out of that at some point because ours definitely smell!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:52 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I think it has more to do with the bacteria in your gut than your age. My poop barely smells, my husband's smells like Malka's. We all eat pretty much the same stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:57 pm 

Butternut wrote:

yeah it's almost uhh fruity? so weird!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:34 am 
***LIES!!!***

Another successful potty pee (with hysterics when my husband dumped the pee) over the weekend

This morning, an archipelago of poop splats across the living room floor, from the wood floor onto the rug.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:22 pm 

Nice!

We have not started taking her potty with us when we go out, but I think that is in the future. I really don't want to mess with it but today we were at this indoor playground that had portable steps for kids to use to reach the water table and she completely freaked out trying to use one like it was a potty! It did kinda look like her potty, just to give her credit, but I wasn't expecting her to flip out about peeing in her diaper. I tried to help her use the regular toilet, but she was not having that.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:00 pm 
Semen Strong

Any ideas for potty going in public loos? L doesn't want to go in her diaper anymore but sometimes public restrooms are so gross... I don't really want to lug a potty so maybe a nice cover?

We were at a park and all there were were portapotties and it was beyond yucky.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:02 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Ariann wrote:
Another successful potty pee (with hysterics when my husband dumped the pee) over the weekend

This morning, an archipelago of poop splats across the living room floor, from the wood floor onto the rug.

This same thing happened to me this morning. And he touched it and got a bunch in his hair. (But he's not potty training yet. It was just an overflowing diaper.)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:17 pm 

Tofulish wrote:
Any ideas for potty going in public loos? L doesn't want to go in her diaper anymore but sometimes public restrooms are so gross... I don't really want to lug a potty so maybe a nice cover?

I have been looking and I found this funny ad.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/z-aMMryrsl4[/youtube]

Not sure if I did that right. Also, popular at the playgrounds I frequent are the potette plus or to go.

ETA: I guess I failed at posting a YouTube video. How do I do this?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:42 am 

for public toilets, we did 2 things - if it was an ok bathroom, which in our case applied to maybe 50% of them, we used a folding potty seat (it's red and has Dora on it - handmedown from cousins). That thing lived in H's diaper bag for almost 2 years. I know there is kinda a yuck factor to be carrying around something that touched a toilet seat, but eh a wipedown every once in a while and we all lived...Also, because some of the time we'd be somewhere like a park or a store with our car, we keep one of those cheap IKEA red potties in the back. D was never shy about squatting on it in the back of our Jeep.
Sometimes however when Howard picks D up from playschool, with Sierra in a stroller, they walk the mile+ home and stop at a big park on the way that has the NASTIEST bathrooms. He feels he must take her into the men's (which I know he is supposed to but I don't know if I were him, I'd probably risk getting in trouble!) which is disgusting as well as sketchy. There's no real solution, he just brings both kids in and tries to avoid anyone touching anything! But mostly we've finally reached the point where D can hold it for the walk home.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:48 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Tofulish wrote:

Can you hold her? Like, facing the toilet, with her back/shoulders against your stomach and your arms under her bent knees? That's what my mom used to do when we were out, I must have pissed in all of Paris' gutters in that configuration, until I was old enough to stop having super urgent emergencies.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:27 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

aelle wrote:
Tofulish wrote:

Can you hold her? Like, facing the toilet, with her back/shoulders against your stomach and your arms under her bent knees? That's what my mom used to do when we were out, I must have pissed in all of Paris' gutters in that configuration, until I was old enough to stop having super urgent emergencies.

This worked for me with my son when he was little. We'd hold him in any super gross toilets - usually just the outdoor toilets when we went camping or the occasional public facility. Anyway, it's WAY easier than lugging around an extra potty.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:53 am 
Inflexitarian

Tofulish wrote:

These are really cool and they cover the entire toilet. Unfortunately, they don't make covers for an entire portapotty yet, oh how i wish they did!

http://www.amazon.com/PottyCover-Dispos ... 2MR4YIUZ97

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:03 am 
Inflexitarian

So here's where we are with potty training. I hate to even say we're really anywhere because I don't really consider what we're doing potty training just kind of teaching her about her body and laying the framework for real potty training later. We have a baby bjorn potty in every bathroom and she likes to go pee in them but it's not consistent. We've decided to wait on any real potty training until she's old enough to pull down her pants by herself. At a certain point I felt like I was the one being potty trained trying to rush her off to the bathroom, pull everything down and get her on the potty in time. It honestly stressed us both out and lasted all of 2 days before we went back to our more laid back routine. My gut told me to wait, but others were pressuring me to try harder with the potty training because she does go on the potty occasionally. Once again, I should have followed my gut.

One thing I know will be a challenge in the future is to get her to stop doing something she likes to go potty. Right now she tells me everytime she either has to go pee or poop or right after she goes pee or poop. But if I pick her up to change her diaper or walk her to the potty she throws a fit. Sometimes even when I can smell the poop I'll ask her "Did you go poo poo?" and she'll say no and run because she knows it means I'm going to change her diaper.

What did you guys to do help your kids work around this issue? I read "Stress Free Potty Training" and they basically advocate for talking the child through it and explaining why they need to get up and go based on previous experiences, etc. Maybe by the time we really start potty training this will work but I'm open to all suggestions!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:02 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

aelle wrote:

We do something like that with Raygold sometimes -- he calls it aeroplane peeing. I hold him in the Superman position over the toilet, while he pees.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:34 pm 

We have been diaper less for a few weeks at home (except nap and bedtime) but I am reluctant to go diaper less when we are out for a long time in the stroller. Today she wore a diaper and peed in a public toilet at two different places. When we got home, she peed again and her diaper was dry. Yay!

Yesterday she pooped in her new underwear, I swear to god she only had it on 15 minutes before the poop. Back to commando.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:29 pm 
Semen Strong

That is amazing! Yay Babynut!

Leela is dry overnight and now regularly pees and poops in the toilet. We were in Target and she said she needed to go to the toilet, and even though it was really inconvenient, we went and she peed right away. Her diap is now pretty much always dry - we use them as underwear. I guess we should start transitioning to underwear, but I am kind of nervous about that.

When I asked in my parenting groups, the consensus seemed to be just to let them go commando, rather than buy special training pants or absorbent undies bc you have to change their whole outfit anyway if they wee in it. What have others here done?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:27 am 
Inflexitarian

Way to go Leela! That is great! I've read that night-time dryness is one of the harder things to master so she is doing fantastic! My question is kind of along the same lines. We're about to just bite the bullet and start trying out different types of cloth training pants but I'm wondering what others experience has been with various brands and their absorbency. Obviously, they aren't going to be that absorbent since the whole point is for them to feel when they are wet but I'm wondering if some a better than others.

We've been really working on her pulling up and down her own pants and she can now do it flawlessly, yay! The trouble is, her diapers make it hard to pull her pants down quickly. Even I have trouble getting them down fast enough over the snaps of our BG's. So i'm thinking that when we're around the house we can experiment with the training pants.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:31 pm 

ahhh we are just having zero luck with getting D to stop wetting the bed consistently. I want to chalk it up to her just sleeping very deeply, it's so frustrating though. And sometimes I can't fathom HOW she can be so wet, when she only consumed maybe 4 oz of water in the last 4 hours before bed. It's tough, because we eat dinner within 2 hours of her bedtime and she always wants water with it, and then she often eats fruit before bed too - now I'm wondering if the fruit is the culprit.
I guess one nice thing is she's started getting up, taking the wet mattress pad and pjs off and changing her clothes herself instead of waking me up! We always keep an extra blanket near her bed that she can just grab and put herself back to sleep. But poor H is sick to death of washing mattress pads and wet blankies damn near every day.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:11 pm 
Inflexitarian

When it comes to night time dryness I think it's important to remember that everyone's body is different and each kid hits that milestone at a very different age. My brother, for example, had a horrible time with night time dryness until he was a much older kid (like in elementary school). The doctor ended up giving him a nasal spray that he used for a little while and then he was "cured" but it was something that he literally couldn't control and just the way his body worked. Not saying AT ALL that this might be the case with D just trying to encourage you to know that it will happen eventually. I'm sure it has to be really frustrating for D too. Best of luck! Lots of hugs.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 225 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next