| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 349 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
 Post subject: Re: the poop scoop: toileting victories and set backs
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:10 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

so BP peed in the potty THREE times last night! (all within like the same hour)
taking a shower kind of makes her a crazed maniac so she will usually agreed to sit on the potty after a shower which is great except im just guessing she probably pees in the shower. so i gave her some water to drink and we sat and read books and eventually peed which was super exciting and then she wanted to do it again so she drank a bunch more water and then later peed more. she said she wanted to do it againafter that but i told her we werent going to sit on the potty all night chugging water so we put the diaper back on and i told her if she felt like she had to peed to tell us and we could put her back on the potty. a little while later it was time to start getting ready for bed so i asked her if she wanted to sit on the potty again before bed and she said yes then promptly chugged MORE water.. she peed almost immediately but she had also peed in the diaper so i really dont think she has yet figured out what it feels like when she needs to go.

so we had 3 successful pees in the potty which was super awesome and exciting but i dont think it will be a consistant thing yet. today she hasnt wanted to sit on the potty at all. when she does sit on the potty she seems to want to chug water and pee which i cant decide how i feel about that. on the one hand the point of going potty isnt to drink a ton of water just to pee but i also feel like it eventually will help her figure out what it feels like when you have to go.

do all kids just have their hands like all over the place while peeing? all over the potty, in the potty, etc. im usually not a germaphobe but toilets are gross.

i wish she was a little bigger because she's so tiny that even with her little step stool she cant reach the sink to wash her hands so i either have to hold her which is super awkward or get out our like home improvement step stool from Lowes which is bigger.

so what are pull ups? are they just diapers that you pull on/off instead of the tape stickies? i know one of the points is for kids to practice pulling them up/down but is it just a regular diaper otherwise? i hate putting a diaper on her while she's standing up so i make her lay down so it's just a pain. i think ive seen Pixar Cars pull ups too which might motivate her

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:56 pm 
Total Hoover

LisaPunk wrote:
so BP peed in the potty THREE times last night! (all within like the same hour)
taking a shower kind of makes her a crazed maniac so she will usually agreed to sit on the potty after a shower which is great except im just guessing she probably pees in the shower. so i gave her some water to drink and we sat and read books and eventually peed which was super exciting and then she wanted to do it again so she drank a bunch more water and then later peed more. she said she wanted to do it againafter that but i told her we werent going to sit on the potty all night chugging water so we put the diaper back on and i told her if she felt like she had to peed to tell us and we could put her back on the potty. a little while later it was time to start getting ready for bed so i asked her if she wanted to sit on the potty again before bed and she said yes then promptly chugged MORE water.. she peed almost immediately but she had also peed in the diaper so i really dont think she has yet figured out what it feels like when she needs to go.

so we had 3 successful pees in the potty which was super awesome and exciting but i dont think it will be a consistant thing yet. today she hasnt wanted to sit on the potty at all. when she does sit on the potty she seems to want to chug water and pee which i cant decide how i feel about that. on the one hand the point of going potty isnt to drink a ton of water just to pee but i also feel like it eventually will help her figure out what it feels like when you have to go.

do all kids just have their hands like all over the place while peeing? all over the potty, in the potty, etc. im usually not a germaphobe but toilets are gross.

i wish she was a little bigger because she's so tiny that even with her little step stool she cant reach the sink to wash her hands so i either have to hold her which is super awkward or get out our like home improvement step stool from Lowes which is bigger.

so what are pull ups? are they just diapers that you pull on/off instead of the tape stickies? i know one of the points is for kids to practice pulling them up/down but is it just a regular diaper otherwise? i hate putting a diaper on her while she's standing up so i make her lay down so it's just a pain. i think ive seen Pixar Cars pull ups too which might motivate her

Wow BabyPunk!
Pull-ups are a pain to put on people while they're lying down, and you have to take their trousers right off to put a clean pull-up on. I bet they're really good for kids who want to be independent though- they can pull them down themself quickly when they're a bit desperate to pee, and can pull them back up again afterwards (I can't imagine a tiny, little kid being able to manage the sticky tabs on nappies themself).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:21 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Way to go BP! That is awesome progress.
I think pull-ups are less moisture wicking...like the kid feels wet actually when they pee supposedly helping them figure out cause and effect. My child treats them just like diapers though and he wore them in our wading pool the other day and they hold LOTS of moisture...so pretty close to a regular diaper minus the easy tabs. You can rip the sides open though for easy clean of really poopy pull-ups!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:44 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Yay BP!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:55 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

ill have to get her some pull ups maybe those will help us progress furhter. she doesnt want to sit on the potty when i ask her during the day. last night she sat on it after a shower again.
while we were in the shower i told her not to pee in the shower and to hold it and she could pee it in the potty after. i dont know if it was coincidence or what but when she sat on the potty after the shower she immediately peed.

then she wanted to do it again so sat on the potty for like another 40 minutes til she peed again. shes mainly interested in toilet paper. to the point i had to take the roll off the holder and put it on the sink because she was driving me crazy.

she definitely doesnt either know what it feels like when she has to pee or she doesnt care because again we told her after we put the diaper on to let us know if she had to pee and she never did.

i think she will really like the idea of Cars pull ups but i suspect she will use them like regular diapers. she could care less if she has on the wettest poopiest diaper. so im not sure being able to feel it more in a pull up will make any difference for her but its worth a shot!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:51 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

If she is still in cloth diapers then pull-ups will probably be more moisture wicking...but will have the benefit that she can pull them up and down herself! giles uses them as diapers...as expensive diapers.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:05 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

we stopped using cloth diapers around the time she was 2ish because she was just peeing straight through them

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:51 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Yay BP! Getting comfortable with the potty is the first step. Alice started similarly and was using the potty only at bath time. But since she needed to be potty trained for school we just set a day that she would stop wearing diapers. We didn't use pull ups but just let her go bottomless for a couple of days (stayed home except to pick up Ada from school in which case I put a pull up on). She does wear pull ups at night. She was waking up dry in the mornings and then one day she peed in them when she woke up and was shocked that pee didn't get on her pjs. And now that she knows that she doesn't always rush to the bathroom when she wakes up. Ha. So they might just get treated like a diaper if you use them.

Also, a mini vent. She was doing so good for a month. Hardly any accidents. In the last week or two she has had an accident almost every day. Mostly at home but today while we were out too. And she starts preschool in two weeks. Not sure what's going on but ugh.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:07 pm 
Semen Strong

sashi wrote:
Also, a mini vent. She was doing so good for a month. Hardly any accidents. In the last week or two she has had an accident almost every day. Mostly at home but today while we were out too. And she starts preschool in two weeks. Not sure what's going on but ugh.

Well pee accidents are par for the course at times of stress or transition, so maybe the idea of preschool is triggering it?

And for L when that happened, it was constipation. Even now, if she gets constipated, we have pee accidents. She is sensitive to oats, gluten, dyes and sugar. So if she has that, all bets are off.

THROW A forking YAM IN THE OVEN ITS forking CHRISTMAS - LisaPunk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:48 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

so BP pooped on the potty last night so that was pretty exciting. she doesnt actually ask to sit on it yet. we ask her if she wants to and occasionally she will agree. last night was the first time she agreed that wasnt directly after a shower. so last night her pooping on the potty was just a coincidence that she had to poop.
she also wants to chug water while sitting on the potty so she can pee. so last night after she pooped she wanted to run around with no diaper so we let her and kept telling her when she needed to pee to let us know so we could put her on the potty.

after while all the water she chugged must have been ready to come out because she peed like a lake on our floor. so yeah i dont think she knows what the sensation feels like yet but we are definitely on our way!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:30 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Tofulish wrote:
sashi wrote:

Well pee accidents are par for the course at times of stress or transition, so maybe the idea of preschool is triggering it?

And for L when that happened, it was constipation. Even now, if she gets constipated, we have pee accidents. She is sensitive to oats, gluten, dyes and sugar. So if she has that, all bets are off.

She's been accident free for the last few days but I've been more vigilant about her sitting on the toilet even if she says she doesn't have to. I keep forgetting it's only been a couple of months since she's been out of diapers ;)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:01 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

hurray for accident free days!!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:52 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Giles had his first pee on the potty! It was in the context of sitting on the potty while playing iPad, so not quite the same victory as recognizing he had to pee and heading to the toilet, but still a big victory!!! He got a reward sticker that sent him into paroxysms of woe because he couldn't have ALL the stickers...so that backfired a little. I guess he gets a cookie from here on out.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:40 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Day 1 of 3-day potty training done! I'm exhausted. It was half/half accidents vs. potty, so I guess I'll take that as a pretty good start.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:16 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Half and half sounds successful to me!

We are not doing so well here. Initially we had a day with 4 successful pees and one poop in the potty and that was followed by pee and poo and pee in underwear...he is back in pull-ups and will sometimes sit if we remind him, but overall is not wanting to sit on the potty unless there are lots of pleasures to await like books to read, ipads to look at... I feel like we are not very good at reminding.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:25 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

we have gone no where with potty training so dont feel alone. for awhile she would sit on the potty after a bath or shower (we only bathe her occasionally so it wasnt an every night thing) but never during the day and she certainly would never tell us she needed to use the potty.

i bought her Pixar Cars pull ups and explained we didnt want to pee on Lightning and we used it one day and i think she sat on the potty that afternoon because she wanted to wear the Lightning pull up so i kept reminding her we put it on that if she needed to pee to let me know, etc and eventually she just peed in the pull up.
so i just told her we didnt want to pee in the Lightning diapers and we could bring them out again one day when she was ready to pee on the potty more.

we've had a few really awesome weeks with her and she also hasnt sat on the potty again.

her preschool is open to wherever kids are in their potty journey and will help with whatever stage their at so that is nice.
i also learned at a school meeting it's illegal in MA to deny kids entry into preschool because they arent potty trained though im sure some places put more pressure on parents than others.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:23 pm 

Day 2 down and it went pretty well. We have just had her run around naked for two days and played mostly on the wood floor area of our house that's near the bathroom. I have read a whole lot of books in the bathroom. Few times today she ran to the bathroom screaming potty and actually went, so I think it's working! Tomorrow I'm going to try to spend less time hanging out in the bathroom, to see if we can have more of those "recognition" moments while playing. I think if that goes well, I'll put her in pantaloons on Tuesday. I've been giving her the Dandies mini marshmallows as treats if she successfully goes in the potty. We've watched that Daniel Tiger potty episode a whole bunch and I can't get the song out of my head. -__-

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:47 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Sounds like you are doing brilliantly, My Zoetrope!

We did the short intense method too and the first two and a half days were the hardest. I definitely think it took more like 6 days for TW to really really get it, but after that she was good even if we were not home.

Hang in there and be sure to eat some Dandees yourself!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:51 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

My Zoetrope wrote:
Day 2 down and it went pretty well. We have just had her run around naked for two days and played mostly on the wood floor area of our house that's near the bathroom. I have read a whole lot of books in the bathroom. Few times today she ran to the bathroom screaming potty and actually went, so I think it's working! Tomorrow I'm going to try to spend less time hanging out in the bathroom, to see if we can have more of those "recognition" moments while playing. I think if that goes well, I'll put her in pantaloons on Tuesday. I've been giving her the Dandies mini marshmallows as treats if she successfully goes in the potty. We've watched that Daniel Tiger potty episode a whole bunch and I can't get the song out of my head. -__-

Congrats! I still sing the daniel tiger song daily and babynut has been potty trained for 2.5 years. Also, it took us a LONG time to wear pantaloons without accidents. She would be fine commando, but as soon as she had on pantaloons it was pee after pee after pee after pee accident. I think it feels like a diaper. Same thing with pull ups. It was easier for us to go without for a long time until she was a pro.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:22 pm 

Thanks! We had lots of highs and lows today. This is definitely going to be an ongoing process, and not just a 3-day thing. She mostly gets it, but is still having a little trouble with the time-period before she has to poop. Still getting used to the feeling of holding it in I guess? She kinda dances and has several false starts running to bathroom. She's only had one poo accident (and a ton of pee), so we are getting there.

I think it will be the same for us with pantaloons. She wanted to wear them for her nap today (and amazingly woke up dry!) but wet them soon after waking. She wanted another pair on, with similar results. Just going to work on commando until she is a pro. Thanks for the support guys. I kinda feel like a crazy person only talking about poop and pee all day long. Need to leave house tomorrow. Going to take her to storytime tomorrow in a diaper and just resume all training when we are home.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:08 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Man, Vax is getting nowhere and at this point, I think I am going to give up and just try again in a few months. I can get him to tinkle a few drops in the potty and that is it. He has no control over his poo and nothing is good enough to incentivise him to remember to pee in the potty ahead of time.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:28 pm 

S is doing so well! Only one accident today, and it was during a nap, so I am not even really counting it. It's amazing. She went from having to be reminded every 15 minutes to totally running to the potty all on her own. She prefers the regular toilet instead of little potty, so it isn't completely unassisted, but yay! I haven't changed a poopy diaper in a week! We even had family stay over this past weekend, and she only had 1 accident each day, even while distracted playing with her cousins. I'm so psyched about this. I found some cloth pull-ups on Etsy that are working out pretty well during naps and leaving the house. I'm going to give it awhile before I fully trust leaving the house just in underwear, but I've been calling the pull-ups her "big girl pantaloons" too, so she knows not to pee in them. Also, they have unicorns and cats on them.

She starts pre-school this week, and I'm a little bit nervous about that, but I think she'll do great. So much yaay!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:03 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I read a book about potty training and according to the "is your child ready?" section, Vax is not even close to ready yet, but I'm still trying to get him to use the potty when we are home during the day. Today, he pooped a bunny poop into it for the first time ever! He is really poop-unaware, partly, I think, because of his high fibre diet, but I happened to change his training pants (which he will happily wear wet if I don't change them) and saw a poo schmear and asked him to try. The first thing he said was, "I pooped in the potty, now I can go camping with daddy!" because we told him he can't go camping until he is potty trained. XD

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:35 am 
Bathes in Braggs

the camping line is precious Crabby!

Since school has started Giles has become even more resistant to sitting on the potty - absolutely REFUSES with much screaming to sit on it at any point. It is so painful to me. He is 4. He is smart. He CAN do this, but won't. I asked what he was doing at school since they were going to work on it with him too and she said that he will go with the group to the restroom and will pull down and up his pants but yesterday was the first time that he actually sat on the potty (no pee). She thinks he sat it on because yesterday they had a pictorial chart that he got to follow as far as steps to do when going to potty and apparently he loves these charts. She will give us another one today. I somehow don't think it is the answer...but I apparently have no other suggestions so we will try it.

Potty training, tooth brushing, feeding issues, fingernail clipping...these things take the joy out of parenting.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 349 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14