| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tried and True Table Foods
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:26 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

Our little one is now 1 year old and her doctor told us we should be phasing out pureed foods. Of course because I now have a perfected method of making & freezing large batches. Anyway, she has been eating finger foods for a bit of time now and she does seem to enjoy it. However, up until this point we've given them to her after she is done with her purees.

I'm looking for tried and true table food recipes & ideas. I've tried steamed veggies and she eats them with some success, sometimes more than others. She likes beans but she also eats them with a varying degree of success. It seems that we'll have the best luck with whatever we're eating as she attempts to grab anything we eat and try it. I'm curious if there are any go to recipes or dishes that please the whole family...toddlers through adults. I made chickpea cutlets a bit ago and she really liked them so I think that sort of consistency would be a hit. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Tried and True Table Foods
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:52 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Last night my 6 month old conquered a pancake and a slice of tempeh bacon for dinner. My 4yo and I had a pancakes and bacon dinner :) I would offer the finger stuff *before* purees, because they're probably more zealous about more difficult eating if they're hungry.

With my first I remember doing a lot of things that would play into the pincer grip - peas, small diced cooked carrots and other veg, beans. Picking up that stuff takes a lot of practice. Also, cooked greens - they can grab onto the stem and eat the leaves. Any kind of pasta was always a big hit. Diced raw/plain steamed tofu was a big hit. So when I was making a tofu dish I'd just leave out a bit to give her plain and then also serve her some of what I'd prepared for us to see if she'd take a more interesting flavor profile. Usually I just served a deconstructed version of whatever we ate.

Post subject: Re: Tried and True Table Foods
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:52 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

When Phineas was 1, he pretty much ate whatever we ate without complaint. How I miss those days. Some favorites were breaded tofu sticks, muffins, pancakes, waffles (cut into sticks) any kind of pea or bean (as Ariann notes, that did take practice), veggies cut into sticks (roasted or steamed was his preference), chunky cuts of pasta, any kind of bean or grain patty, cake or burger.